Thai People & Pawn Shops

muythai2013

Very few Thai people I have met, despite their love of Gold hang on to it long.

The majority end up down at the pawn shop trying to make a few Dollars.

It's even pre planned somewhat in the fact that they will only Buy 22K Gold to ensure a decent return when they flog it off.

I saw A Guy recently buy a Beautiful SUV so his Missus could drive to work, she sold it a few weeks later and kept the cash, that would have been the end for me.

Her reasoning was it's her car she has the right to sell it, It's her money.

He however saw it differently despite doing sweet F all and claimed If that was the case I would have just gave you the money.

He makes a lot of money as a pilot, Has a head like a Dropped pie, so she knows she can get away with it.

Men need to stand up for themselves here, slowly but surely I see the woman often take the reigns because the man is afraid she will leave, and the woman know this.

Plenty of woman around, no need to race in like a rat up a drain pipe.

Edited by muythai2013

The topic seems to be less about pawnshops and more about falang stupidity.

Good I am not the only one noticing.

I get bored by these topics, basically its always like this sexy girl with guy who normally would not be able to have girl like that for whatever reasons looks / manners / age / stupidity / ect ect and girl takes adavantage of it and guy is supprised.

If you use money to impress a girl then people should not be suprised that the girl went after the money and not the guy.

• Like 1

Well I read it as the OP is talking about Thai people not farang.

The gold shops that sell the gold to people on credit and get paid a certain amount every day must do a roaring trade. If I go to Chantaburi at say 8 o'clock in the morning I might see 20 or 30 of the two clowns on motorbikes with full face helmets (and I am told armed with a pistol) setting off on their daily collection rounds up my way, some of them are uniformed or semi uniformed some are not. You see them around the village by say midday and then later in the afternoon seem to be heading back.

I know family members who have bought gold this way, they immediately pawn it at a different shop, to get a cash windfall which they blow, then try to scam the 300 baht they need every day to make the payment. I am told that it is a daily collection, on some of the detail I may not be 100%. I don't know that they ever end up actually holding the gold.

But you are right anyway OP, gold here in Asia is a bit of reserve currency, when the price dropped last month or so apparently retail demand in India, China and here picked up noticeably. Even the car does not escape, in my moderately sized nearby town there are at least 3 or 4 pawn shops for cars and bikes.

I get bored by these topics, basically its always like this sexy girl with guy who normally would not be able to have girl like that for whatever reasons looks / manners / age / stupidity / ect ect and girl takes adavantage of it and guy is supprised.

If you use money to impress a girl then people should not be suprised that the girl went after the money and not the guy.

come on robblok your the king of these topics

Well I read it as the OP is talking about Thai people not farang.

The gold shops that sell the gold to people on credit and get paid a certain amount every day must do a roaring trade. If I go to Chantaburi at say 8 o'clock in the morning I might see 20 or 30 of the two clowns on motorbikes with full face helmets (and I am told armed with a pistol) setting off on their daily collection rounds up my way, some of them are uniformed or semi uniformed some are not. You see them around the village by say midday and then later in the afternoon seem to be heading back.

I know family members who have bought gold this way, they immediately pawn it at a different shop, to get a cash windfall which they blow, then try to scam the 300 baht they need every day to make the payment. I am told that it is a daily collection, on some of the detail I may not be 100%. I don't know that they ever end up actually holding the gold.

But you are right anyway OP, gold here in Asia is a bit of reserve currency, when the price dropped last month or so apparently retail demand in India, China and here picked up noticeably. Even the car does not escape, in my moderately sized nearby town there are at least 3 or 4 pawn shops for cars and bikes.

The first three short sentences mention Thais and pawnshops in a vague way, the bulk of his post is relating the story of a guy buying a SUV for his girlfriend.

Used to be.. they bore me now.. its always the same.. those using money to get the girls deny its about money and all about them untill it explodes up their face.

Those who don't use money can't reason with those who do as it is like saying I don't have any good traits / social skills / looks so I use money. Who will admit to that.. nobody. So it always ends in a fight where nobody is ever convinced.

Not for me anymore. I keep to giving advice in the I'm too fat forum, at least sometimes someone there get convinced.

I understand what the OP writes ... but the uses for gold do vary.

Down at the Farm (I always wanted to say that) the gold is Pawned so that the feed can be bought for the fish and then the harvest is complete, the gold is re-bought and kept with-in the family. It certainly is a tradeable commodity.

For those who don't know ... the mean rate from the Pawn Shops is 2% ... a month! Nice work if you can get it ... but don't know what the loan to valuation ratio is.

Down at the Farm (I always wanted to say that) the gold is Pawned so that the feed can be bought for the fish and then the harvest is complete, the gold is re-bought and kept with-in the family. It certainly is a tradeable commodity.

For those who don't know ... the mean rate from the Pawn Shops is 2% ... a month! Nice work if you can get it ... but don't know what the loan to valuation ratio is.

they do seem do rebuy and sell numerous times.

they do seem do rebuy and sell numerous times.

Songkran is a particularly busy time for the shops.

Workers wanting to get home for the New Year's , but don't have the bus/plane fare ... happy to short-term a family heirloom ... or two ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

When you buy someone else a vehicle, no reason to put the book in their name, then they can't sell it.

A house, let them get a home loan like everyone else, while they are nice to you, make the payments for them.

As for gold, just say no.

Unlike Robblok, I see no harm baiting the hook, just don't let them eat their fill.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Back when we still dealt in gold (now it's mostly developed property), I'd say a good 40-50 percent came back for it.

:-)

Heng ... if you had an interest in a Pawn Shop ... what loan to valuation ratio did you use for the various possessions offered for collateral?

When you buy someone else a vehicle, no reason to put the book in their name, then they can't sell it.

A house, let them get a home loan like everyone else, while they are nice to you, make the payments for them.

As for gold, just say no.

Unlike Robblok, I see no harm baiting the hook, just don't let them eat their fill.

thanks for educating us, some amazing insight there.

save me a house a car and some Gold.

Its fine for the girl to go for the money as long as its short time.

We draw the line at buying cars for hoes

Used to be.. they bore me now.. its always the same.. those using money to get the girls deny its about money and all about them untill it explodes up their face.

Those who don't use money can't reason with those who do as it is like saying I don't have any good traits / social skills / looks so I use money. Who will admit to that.. nobody. So it always ends in a fight where nobody is ever convinced.

Not for me anymore. I keep to giving advice in the I'm too fat forum, at least sometimes someone there get convinced.

Never took you for being a fatty

Same old rant disguised in another topic. I thought this was about Thai people and pawn shops. Instead it is a rant against Thai women who accept farangs "gifts" and use them for their own purposes. Thai people use pawn shops as a form of bank to draw money from. When they need money they pawn whatever few possessions they have of any value with the intention of somehow getting them back later. It's not really practical from a business sense, but if you are desperate then you do whatever you can.

But, that story is not the intent of the OP. His rant is about what a Thai woman does with a gift. How she obtains that gift is between her and the gift giver. Gifts should not have strings attached. If a man is so stupid to give a gift to someone he hasn't known for a long time and can trust, then he deserves whatever befalls him. It seems to happen to a lot of men in Thailand who don't think with the head on their shoulders. How many times do we need to read the same BS?

Rene123

I think you have lost it a little biggrin.png you think that because you spent a few months here you know it all LOL its not called gifts whistling.gif its called FRAUD in any western country and the girl would be doing many years in jail for her actions

At least in the west is disguised as legal fraud LOL

Edited by DiamondKing

Rene123

I think you have lost it a little biggrin.png you think that because you spent a few months here you know it all LOL its not called gifts whistling.gif its called FRAUD in any western country and the girl would be doing many years in jail for her actions

At least in the west is disguised as legal fraud LOL

If that is the truth then at least 50% of marriages in western countries are fraud cases.

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is a gift should have no attachments. However, how many times do people have to be told not to invest in something they can't afford? How many times do people have to be told not purchase what they can't afford to walk away from.

However, we can learn from past mistakes. If someone proves to be untrustworthy then the obvious solution is to cut all ties with that person. Or, just use them as a pay for play proposition.

I don't have any good traits, social skills, looks and I'm old, so I use money to bait the hook.

Who says nobody would admit that, I just did.

I do agree with Rene, if you give a gift, expect nothing further from it.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I don't have any good traits, social skills, looks and I'm old, so I use money to bait the hook.

Who says nobody would admit that, I just did.

I do agree with Rene, if you give a gift, expect nothing further from it.

Refreshing honesty, that is what I like. At least your smart enough to know it and not to get burned and come back here saying all Thai girls are bad ect ect. Nothing wrong with it as long as you know its about the money and make sure you dont lose it.

I (used too) went into discussion with guys using money and saying it was love and their looks then comming back bitter when their money was used up.

ome on robblok your the king of these topics

ood I am not the only one noticing.

Never took you for being a fatty

I used to be a bit overweight or at least for a period of time after the flooding because of too much alcohol and lack of exercise. Anyway reformed now and giving advice there is much more rewarding as getting into those endless discussions over here.

Pawn shops were the leading form of consumer credit up to the 50's in the US and a lot of other western countries. It's not really that strange that poor Thai's are still using this system.

There is always a lively gold trade going on. Baht means "Gold" in the Thai-Lingo.

They behave like most traders wordwide: The price has fallen. it could fall some more = sell ! Selling low.

After price recovery, it could rise some more =buy ! Buying high.

Best way to loose money in the long run.

If wanting to loose money on a short term basis: Let them play the lottery!

Cheers.

Many complaining about the topic as if they're compelled to post. Some of us are sick of reading the same complaints over and again. Contribute, or just leave the discussion to us newbies.

Admittedly the title is somewhat misleading, as the the topic is twofold, but so long as it's relevant to Thailand, why shouldn't it be posted?

Back to the topic -- I wonder how many women pawn their wedding gold? And if so, how soon after the wedding?

Edited by aTomsLife
  • Like 1

Many complaining about the topic as if they're compelled to post. Some of us are sick of reading the same complaints over and again. Contribute, or just leave the discussion to us newbies.

Admittedly the title is somewhat misleading, as the the topic is twofold, but so long as it's relevant to Thailand, why shouldn't it be posted?

Back to the topic -- I wonder how many women pawn their wedding gold? And if so, how soon after the wedding?

It's always good to have new and fresh blood entering the TV-Forum. But let's face it, after having done your 500st post, you will sound like the rest of of us. For better or for worse.

Cheers.

It's always good to have new and fresh blood entering the TV-Forum. But let's face it, after having done your 500st post, you will sound like the rest of of us. For better or for worse.

Cheers.

Goody, another 200 some odd posts to go and I too can sound bitter and disillusioned!