Thailand's Meth Menace

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya ba is A big problem in Thailand.But drugs are an epidemic all around the world.It just keeps getting worse year after year.I have no answer or A solution. Thailand has the death penalty for heroin.I don't see it working.

Whilst you have poverty , low wages, greed ,poor education, corruption, peer pressure , high dept levels ,in a society such as Thailand you will always get the idiots trying to make the easy money, in real terms, they just cannot see the big picture, only tunnel vision , money money money,

So what about the rampant drug trade in first world countries ?

• Like 1

This article is saying that each pill cost about $10 US?? That seems unlikely.

I can't understand why this wretched class of drug (amphetamine family) is so widespread and apparently popular in Thailand. Thailand pot used to be among the world's best ("Thai stick") but the stuff mostly available here now is garbage, not worth the money or the extreme legal consequences.

Or so I've heard.

USD$10 per tablet is based upon retail street price in Thailand

In the following chart we can see how amphetamine compares to other drugs in the dependence and physical harm that the drug may cause. I think the crystal form of methamphetamine would be closer to cocaine.

500px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_

The data is from Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse

Edited by hyperdimension

In the following chart we can see how amphetamine compares to other drugs in the dependence and physical harm that the drug may cause. I think the crystal form of methamphetamine would be closer to cocaine.

The data is from Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse

I think whoever made this chart didn't know their ar** from their elbow. There is so much wrong with it I wouldn't know where to start.

Whilst you have poverty , low wages, greed ,poor education, corruption, peer pressure , high dept levels ,in a society such as Thailand you will always get the idiots trying to make the easy money, in real terms, they just cannot see the big picture, only tunnel vision , money money money, , the big picture is the Bangkok Hilton, this will determine where you will spend your free time if caught.bah.gif

What motivates the people who do the same in the West? Maybe low wages, greed, poor education, corruption, peer pressure & high debt levels. Maybe the buzz of doing it? The war on drugs has a lot to answer for.

I think whoever made this chart didn't know their ar** from their elbow. There is so much wrong with it I wouldn't know where to start.

What are you basing your view on? Can you provide some details of scientific studies?

Firstly crystal methamphetamine and amphetamine are 2 completely different animals, and crystal methamphetamine isn't even on here. The rest is just too vague, there are multiple ways of using all the above drugs i.e snorting, bombing and injecting so its all just a bit vague. Someone who shoots heroin for example would be about where its listed but someone who chases it or snorts it would be in a far less dangerous position than someone who shots it. As for cocaine being listed where it is, its way off the mark unless you are using it in the rock form, ie crack. Also if you were to use weed in a vaporizer it would do you pretty much no physical harm. I have both worked as a drugs counselor in the UK and have also had a heroin addict for a brother for the last 15 years, so you might say my experience is more practical than scientific.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Firstly crystal methamphetamine and amphetamine are 2 completely different animals, and crystal methamphetamine isn't even on here. The rest is just too vague, there are multiple ways of using all the above drugs i.e snorting, bombing and injecting so its all just a bit vague. Someone who shoots heroin for example would be about where its listed but someone who chases it or snorts it would be in a far less dangerous position than someone who shots it. As for cocaine being listed where it is, its way off the mark unless you are using it in the rock form, ie crack. Also if you were to use weed in a vaporizer it would do you pretty much no physical harm. I have both worked as a drugs counselor in the UK and have also had a heroin addict for a brother for the last 15 years, so you might say my experience is more practical than scientific.

I agree that it would have been better if they distinguished between different forms of some of the drugs and the different routes of administration. The information is still useful though. Did you actually read the study to which I linked and from which the data came? The final table of results show a separate score for intravenous administration for each drug. The physical harm score for amphetamine via intravenous administration is 2.4, as opposed to the mean score of 1.81 shown in the chart.

As a drugs counselor, I'd assume that most of the time you met people who have problems, far more often than those who did not have any problem, as there'd be no reason for them to seek any help from you and they may not want to admit to using drugs due to social stigma and the law. This could skew your views about drugs in general.

Edited by hyperdimension

I agree that it would have been better if they distinguished between different forms of some of the drugs and the different routes of administration. The information is still useful though. Did you actually read the study to which I linked and from which the data came? The final table of results show a separate score for intravenous administration for each drug. The physical harm score for amphetamine via intravenous administration is 2.4, as opposed to the mean score of 1.81 shown in the chart.

As a drugs counselor, I'd assume that most of the time you met people who have problems, far more often than those who did not have any problem, as there'd be no reason for them to seek any help from you and they may not want to admit to using drugs due to social stigma and the law. This could skew your views about drugs in general.

No I didn't read the study just took a glance at the chart and thought it showed only part of a picture. I thought missing the psychological damage drugs do was like missing half the issue. LSD for example may not be addictive but can wreck a persons mind in 1 hit if they are not of a strong nature to begin with, the same could be said for cannabis if over used for long periods, psychosis can follow even though the physical damage may be minimal. Actually most of my job was around education in young adults rather than dealing with bunt out junkies, so most of my cases were at the start of their careers so to speak.

• Like 1

Hmmm.....I wonder what ratio of the seized drugs are "recirculated" by the BIB, to be seized yet again.

You just hit one of the nails right on the head.

Having lost both a business partner (farang) and personal relationship (Thai) to Meth, I have a deep hatred of the stuff, and I don't like having hate inside me. It's the most insideous(sp?) thing I've ever seen. Gently gently, gotcha, no going back. They'll promise you the moon and sky, but you're only talking to 50% of the person you knew, the other half is something very damaging to themselves and to all those associated. Avoid at all costs. I say this as someone who smokes legal cigarettes and over indulges in alcohol, but they're chalk and cheese.

I got to the point of keeping in my house Meth tests (from a friend in the business). Never got to use one of them, as they'll snake out of anything. Both of the above were very good people, fit, active, sociable, wonderful people to have around in my life. I paid heavily both emotionally and financially to be the 'do gooder'. If anyone reading this suspects the same, whether it be dirty yaa baa, or hi-so Ice, get them out of your life before they suck you into their world. There is no getting out of it when the 'authorities' are also the suppliers, and know who to target exactly, when and where.

Edited by Shiver
  • Like 1

No I didn't read the study just took a glance at the chart and thought it showed only part of a picture. I thought missing the psychological damage drugs do was like missing half the issue. LSD for example may not be addictive but can wreck a persons mind in 1 hit if they are not of a strong nature to begin with, the same could be said for cannabis if over used for long periods, psychosis can follow even though the physical damage may be minimal. Actually most of my job was around education in young adults rather than dealing with bunt out junkies, so most of my cases were at the start of their careers so to speak.

Yes, the chart only shows part of the picture, but that doesn't mean that it's complete nonsense and worthless. It's only one particular set of information. There are other sets of information if you look around. The study also covers social harm with scores for each drug. Two other studies that explore drug harms that I've mentioned in another thread are:

Drug harms in the UK a multicriteria decision analysis

Quantifying the RR of harm to self and others from substance misuse results from a survey of clinical experts across Scotland

So was it your job to basically teach your students "drugs are bad, mmkay?" I remember that all of the drug education that I was subjected to as a youngster were presented in ways that scared us, but with little factual basis (At that age we never asked for scientific factual proof, and teachers knew that). Only extremely negative examples and images were presented. The message was "just don't do drugs". The "educational" material wasn't too far different from "reefer madness" style. These days I now realize that it wasn't real drug education, as there was very little science in it, mostly just scare mongering. There were never examples of people enjoying themselves on drugs without any problem, which is closer to reality. The problem with such "don't do drugs" education is that when people do actually try drugs and enjoy it, they realize that it's nowhere near as bad as what they were taught, which can lead to a complete mistrust and dismissal of all the drug education that they had received. They may then go on to try other possibly harmful drugs in complete defiance of and disregard for such so-called "education".

Edited by hyperdimension

Yes, the chart only shows part of the picture, but that doesn't mean that it's complete nonsense and worthless. It's only one particular set of information. There are other sets of information if you look around. The study also covers social harm with scores for each drug. Two other studies that explore drug harms that I've mentioned in another thread are:

Drug harms in the UK a multicriteria decision analysis

Quantifying the RR of harm to self and others from substance misuse results from a survey of clinical experts across Scotland

So was it your job to basically teach your students "drugs are bad, mmkay?" I remember that all of the drug education that I was subjected to as a youngster were presented in ways that scared us, but with little factual basis (At that age we never asked for scientific factual proof, and teachers knew that). Only extremely negative examples and images were presented. The message was "just don't do drugs". The "educational" material wasn't too far different from "reefer madness" style. These days I now realize that it wasn't real drug education, as there was very little science in it, mostly just scare mongering. There were never examples of people enjoying themselves on drugs without any problem, which is closer to reality. The problem with such "don't do drugs" education is that when people do actually try drugs and enjoy it, they realize that it's nowhere near as bad as what they were taught, which can lead to a complete mistrust and dismissal of all the drug education that they had received.

No it was far from don't do it, that type of approach died a death in the UK in the 80's. It was more if you are going to do it (Which 70% aged between 16-30 were) then these are the facts and this is how to minimize the harm to yourselves. Never once have I said to anyone let alone a student drugs are bad, that would have completely the wrong effect. People and especially young people don't tent to like being told what to do, you can only offer advice. Nancy Regans "just say no" BS is a long time dead, much like Ronnie, god rest him.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Having lost both a business partner (farang) and personal relationship (Thai) to Meth, I have a deep hatred of the stuff, and I don't like having hate inside me. It's the most insideous(sp?) thing I've ever seen. Gently gently, gotcha, no going back. They'll promise you the moon and sky, but you're only talking to 50% of the person you knew, the other half is something very damaging to themselves and to all those associated. Avoid at all costs. I say this as someone who smokes legal cigarettes and over indulges in alcohol, but they're chalk and cheese.

I got to the point of keeping in my house Meth tests (from a friend in the business). Never got to use one of them, as they'll snake out of anything. Both of the above were very good people, fit, active, sociable, wonderful people to have around in my life. I paid heavily both emotionally and financially to be the 'do gooder'. If anyone reading this suspects the same, whether it be dirty yaa baa, or hi-so Ice, get them out of your life before they suck you into their world. There is no getting out of it when the 'authorities' are also the suppliers, and know who to target exactly, when and where.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your business partner and personal relationship. Your own experiences would certainly have shaped your personal views about the drug. Was it the crystal form (ice)?

It would be interesting to know what kind of drug education they had received before they had started taking methamphetamine. How much did they know about its harmfulness, particularly dependence? If after having studied all the scientific facts and statistics, would they have still started to take it and do it regularly?

So was it your job to basically teach your students "drugs are bad, mmkay?" I remember that all of the drug education that I was subjected to as a youngster were presented in ways that scared us, but with little factual basis (At that age we never asked for scientific factual proof, and teachers knew that). Only extremely negative examples and images were presented. The message was "just don't do drugs". The "educational" material wasn't too far different from "reefer madness" style. These days I now realize that it wasn't real drug education, as there was very little science in it, mostly just scare mongering. There were never examples of people enjoying themselves on drugs without any problem, which is closer to reality. The problem with such "don't do drugs" education is that when people do actually try drugs and enjoy it, they realize that it's nowhere near as bad as what they were taught, which can lead to a complete mistrust and dismissal of all the drug education that they had received.

No it was far from don't do it, that type of approach died a death in the UK in the 80's. It was more if you are going to do it (Which 70% aged between 16-30 were) then these are the facts and this is how to minimize the harm to yourselves. Never once have I said to anyone let alone a student drugs are bad, that would have completely the wrong effect. People and especially young people don't tent to like being told what to do, you can only offer advice. Nancy Regans "just say no" BS is a long time dead, much like Ronnie, god rest him.

That's good to hear. I wonder how the drug education is in the schools here in Thailand. Is it still the archaic "just say no" baseless propaganda? I'm thinking so, but would like to hear from those who know.

Edited by hyperdimension

That's good to hear. I wonder how the drug education is in the schools here in Thailand. Is it still the archaic "just say no" baseless propaganda? I'm thinking so, but would like to hear from those who know.

I doubt very much they have any such education, if you don't acknowledge a problem it doesn't exist in Thailand.

Whilst you have poverty , low wages, greed ,poor education, corruption, peer pressure , high dept levels ,in a society such as Thailand you will always get the idiots trying to make the easy money, in real terms, they just cannot see the big picture, only tunnel vision , money money money, , the big picture is the Bangkok Hilton, this will determine where you will spend your free time if caught.bah.gif

well , some valid points , whats the excuse in USA,UK,OZ,NZ Etc ? , maybe not so much meth but smack and dope big time

Well most of the meth orginates from Burma and seems to be able to come over the border easily even though there are Thai military and police there who are suppose to stop it from coming over but somehow it still comes over I wonder why$$

i wonder why there are no sniffer dogs ?, easy solution ,maybe they are afraid of being eaten so far north !,.......the funniest experience for me as far as drugs are concerned was in Columbia, I was leaving there to fly to cuba with a mate and we were stopped & our luggage searched , after 5 mins of finding nothing they asked us to wait ,......a few seconds later a border guy appeared and started to sniff our bags , i laughed so much they got a bit shirty and told me '' no mass'' and to stop laughing , REALLY ! ...a sniffer boy .

This article is saying that each pill cost about $10 US?? That seems unlikely.

I can't understand why this wretched class of drug (amphetamine family) is so widespread and apparently popular in Thailand. Thailand pot used to be among the world's best ("Thai stick") but the stuff mostly available here now is garbage, not worth the money or the extreme legal consequences.

Or so I've heard.

No offense , but that's nonsense Frank , i have seen it being bought here for 50b a tab , was a few years ago though , and thaistick in isaan can be bought for about 300b an ounce, rough cut , which looks a huge amount at first sight , this was about 8 yrs ago tho , but @ thai price is cheap as chips , i expect its x 2 that by now , but compared to the stuff thats being grown all over the UK ATM its nowhere near as strong , not that im using it anymore , gettin too old now , but having said that , it's still not as dangerous to your health as the booze ! but all is fine in moderation IMO