Have You Seen The Movie "v"?

ding

Is the movie "V" in Thailand yet?

It's #1 in the states and I'm amazed at that. I had spare time and happened in without knowing anything about it. I was shocked.

Without spoiling the movie...

Is it playing in Thailand? And if so, is it exceptionally popular there too?

Plot Summary:

World War III has come and gone. In its wake, is left chaos. This chaos was quickly reigned-in by small insurgent groups who used fear, force and "faith" to subdue an entire nation, forging a new, "Greater" Britain. It is in this brave new world that V (Weaving), a mysterious, masked, swashbuckling figure, saves the young Evey Hammond (Portman) from unspeakable tortures, and takes her under his wing, into the Shadow Gallery; a world that may prove to be full of tortures of its own. All the while, bodies have been piling up within the ranks of the England's fairly new but powerful government. All the murders are connected, far deeper than any mere affiliation with any governmental branch. These killings are vastly encompassing, but acutely personal. It is a vendetta: In a totalitarian state, the government has the people convinced that a single "terrorist", V, would have them under siege. But V would stand to say that he is showing the people that they have been under siege by their government. V is out to avenge individuality, and reclaim freedom for the people, even at the expense of their happiness. We are all in prison, and he is "showing us the bars". The lines between hero and villain do not blur, but become frighteningly clear and you will become uneasy, at times, when you find yourself cheering for V. That is, anyway, if the film is anything like the graphic novel. Find out for yourself, and read the novel, by Alan Moore, first. "England Prevails", under one law or under chaos.

-IMDB.Com

Not bad movie and uses Guy Fawkes mythology for hero rather than villian.

Edited by britmaveric

Think they mean the movie V for Vendetta...not V the alien invasion series !!

I think I'll go see the Pink Panther instead. ( when ever it arrives in Thailand )

You might prefer V. I bought "The Pink Panther" on DVD. It was so bad I couldn't watch more than half way through.

Ding, I saw it #1 on Yahoo movies chart too, and also thougt, what's so special about it? only the plot "Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain" ?

Yes, it's even showing in little old Hua Hin. We saw it and I enjoyed it. I'm no movie critic, but even I could see the allusion to current US politics.

realy ? then may be it makes it popular there. no wonder that american critics rate it not so high:

Critics Reviews Average Grade: B

Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Eleanor Ringel Gillespie

"The picture's earnest politics are often as golly-gee cheeseball as its plot and characters." more... C

Boston Globe, Ty Burr

"...turning as shallow as what it protests against." B-

Chicago Tribune, Michael Phillips

"...only if monotony qualifies as a lack of compromise." more... C

are they just show as usually touchy about anything even slightly critical about american politics ?

Well I loved the comic...I have heard that Allan Moore doesn´t want anything to do with the film...as typical in hollywood they change the plot of the history... :o

I know i am going to see the movie...but i am 90% sure that i will be dissapointed... :D

Well I loved the comic...I have heard that Allan Moore doesn´t want anything to do with the film...as typical in hollywood they change the plot of the history... :o

I know i am going to see the movie...but i am 90% sure that i will be dissapointed... :D

Well done - bit dark/moody. I expected it to be boring, but kepy my interest throughout the entire film.

Well I loved the comic...I have heard that Allan Moore doesn´t want anything to do with the film...as typical in hollywood they change the plot of the history...

I know i am going to see the movie...but i am 90% sure that i will be dissapointed...

Yeah - I've got mixed feelings about going to see it too, for the same reason. Really liked the book (although I think I prefer WATCHMEN)...But I have to say, I had the same reservations about the Hellblazer movie a couple of years ago, but I actually thought it was pretty good - I mean, I'm sorry that it wasn't set in the UK and that it didn't star Paul Bettany, say, or Rhys Ifans (or even Callum Keith Rennie, who LOOKS right, even if I suspect he couldn't pull off the accent...) - but it was still a surprisingly good movie, I thought.

...so I've got some hopes for this one. Guess I need to go and see it...

Ding, I saw it #1 on Yahoo movies chart too, and also thougt, what's so special about it? only the plot "Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain" ?

Yes, it's even showing in little old Hua Hin. We saw it and I enjoyed it. I'm no movie critic, but even I could see the allusion to current US politics.

realy ? then may be it makes it popular there. no wonder that american critics rate it not so high:

Critics Reviews Average Grade: B

Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Eleanor Ringel Gillespie

"The picture's earnest politics are often as golly-gee cheeseball as its plot and characters." more... C

Boston Globe, Ty Burr

"...turning as shallow as what it protests against." B-

Chicago Tribune, Michael Phillips

"...only if monotony qualifies as a lack of compromise." more... C

are they just show as usually touchy about anything even slightly critical about american politics ?

Who cares what the Americans think, it was probably an American produced film (which generally means crap, obvious plot to cater for the 90% of dum ass Americans)

No wonder the Film critics did not like it, maybe they did not show 1 American flag, which they do in ALL American movies!)

What drival, the Americans come out with sometimes.

Arny as Govenor :o need i say more!!! :D

Enough ranting. :D

Oh great, another one crawled out from under the rocks. :o

Well, as we YANKS like to say F you and the horse you rode in on. :D

Typical American response, resort to pathetic swear words, unable to use correct English to express yourself :D

Which cave did you fall out of?? :D:D

Oh great, another one crawled out from under the rocks. :o

Well, as we YANKS like to say F you and the horse you rode in on. :D

Typical American response, resort to pathetic swear words, unable to use correct English to express yourself :D

Which cave did you fall out of?? :D:D

Well, the mods don't like it when you spell the word out, so I had to settle for the letter, but I did capitalize it for you. Didn't want you to miss it now would we? :D

What can be said of your response? I see you are not above cussing, just like an American. I see you are not above being a dumb-ass by generalizing an entire country by the cinema it produces.

Amazing how much of our cinema ends up in other countries. Why do you suppose that is? Maybe all those people are dumb-asses too?

Also, how can you fall out of a cave? Is this something you have tried? :D

I think if we go for a lot less Yank bashing and a touch more Movie discussion this thread hasa chance to survive...

Gee Wolfie, & they were just getting started! :o

I've heard the movie was crap but the series (book) is good.

I think if we go for a lot less Yank bashing and a touch more Movie discussion this thread hasa chance to survive...

Boon - No the film was actually quite good, though def doesnt put the Yanks in goodlight, ala why Butterfy would love the movie so much. :D

Boon - No the film was actually quite good, though def doesnt put the Yanks in goodlight, ala why Butterfy would love the movie so much. :D

Fair enough brit, I've just been going by what I've read in a majority of reviews.

Here's what one of the authors of the book, Alan Moore said about the film:

""It's been turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country. In my original story there had been a limited nuclear war, which had isolated Britain, caused a lot of chaos and a collapse of government, and a fascist totalitarian dictatorship had sprung up. Now, in the film, you've got a sinister group of right-wing figures -- not fascists, but you know that they're bad guys -- and what they have done is manufactured a bio-terror weapon in secret, so that they can fake a massive terrorist incident to get everybody on their side, so that they can pursue their right-wing agenda. It's a thwarted and frustrated and perhaps largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values [standing up] against a state run by neo-conservatives -- which is not what "'V for Vendetta' was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]. The intent of the film is nothing like the intent of the book as I wrote it."

Link

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of Alan Moore's work, so I was looking forward to seeing the film Adaption of "V for Vendetta", since I read the original comic back when I was a kid in the eighties ( being an American, I have to admit, if it wasn't for that book, I would never known who this Guy Fawkes guy was! :D )

I entered the film with low expectations, but I must admit was very surprised how good the movie turned out to be in the end.

Of course, The movie was was not a straight adaptation, many changes were done ( I don't want to say what they were, to keep spoliers for the movie and the original comic , which by the way, was better than the film... ), especially to reflect current events. Yes, there was a certain element of America-Bashing ( which is apparently in vouge these days.. :D ), but I was interestered in how the UK people here thought of the film, especially the fact that the two main characters were cast by non-british actors. I was impressed that Natalie was able to do a convincing ( to my American Ears anyway ) of a "British" accent.

And while I never considered Natalie Portman even sexy, I have to admit, she did look very delicious dressed in that little girl outfit at that certain scene in the movie....... :D

Hugo Weeving was good as " V", even though you never seen his face behind the Guy Fawke's mask.

...And that " ode to the Benny Hill Show " segment was absolutely hilarious! ( It seems that few British people realise what a huge influence that the Benny Hill show had on American men of my generation....:o)

All in all, I give the movie 8 out of 10 stars, or whatever....

I can't wait for Moore's "Watchmen" , I hear that it is finally off the BackBurner now... :D

Edited by Chaiisoot