System Temporary Files

jollyrog

A recent occurrence on my lenovo laptop is giving me concern.

I use Crap Cleaner frequently for the obvious and have noticed the 'system temporary files' category is loading up 200 to 300 megs from 7 AM to 10 AM daily.

Firefox 'temporary internet files' seldom is over 1 meg with daily cleaning.

600 gb hard drive/ 4 gb ram.

Question: Is this normal or do I have a serious problem festering in the shadows ?

Thank You

If you surfing on many websites a few hundred MB of temporary files is very normally. Think about every picture on every website you visited will be saved temporary on your computer. If you only open http://www.thaivisa.com I guess you will load already 3-4MB just by loading the Front Page. Pictures of News-Threads and a lot of Advertisments pictures on websites will be saved,

Mine is 56 MB - on XP. Haven't cleaned it for ages.

Edit:

29 MB of that is in two files - both Google updates for Picasa. So I'll delete them.

Suggest you sort the folder by clicking on the "Size" column header and see if you have any really big files you can safely delete.

And if they keep coming back, find out what program is generating them and why. If not needed, stop the program doing it.

Edited by JetsetBkk

If you surfing on many websites a few hundred MB of temporary files is very normally. Think about every picture on every website you visited will be saved temporary on your computer. If you only open http://www.thaivisa.com I guess you will load already 3-4MB just by loading the Front Page. Pictures of News-Threads and a lot of Advertisments pictures on websites will be saved,

Mine is 56 MB - on XP. Haven't cleaned it for ages.

Edit:

29 MB of that is in two files - both Google updates for Picasa. So I'll delete them.

Suggest you sort the folder by clicking on the "Size" column header and see if you have any really big files you can safely delete.

And if they keep coming back, find out what program is generating them and why. If not needed, stop the program doing it.

Thank you gentlemen for your response.

I also have two machines with XP and they are normal compared to the new Lenovo with windows 7.

<Suggest you sort the folder by clicking on the "Size" column header and see if you have any really big files you can safely delete.>

jetsetBkk............Could you elaborate a bit on this suggestion as I have no idea where to begin.

I seldom surf the internet........Thaivisa.com daily is pretty much it.

About a month ago the hard drive light started blinking constantly as though the hard drive is working constantly.

The TASK MANAGER shows continuous activity and CPU usage but I do not know how to explore this.

Any suggestions would be helpful..............Thank You

<snip>

<Suggest you sort the folder by clicking on the "Size" column header and see if you have any really big files you can safely delete.>

jetsetBkk............Could you elaborate a bit on this suggestion as I have no idea where to begin.

I seldom surf the internet........Thaivisa.com daily is pretty much it.

About a month ago the hard drive light started blinking constantly as though the hard drive is working constantly.

The TASK MANAGER shows continuous activity and CPU usage but I do not know how to explore this.

Any suggestions would be helpful..............Thank You

I'm not sure where your 'system temporary files' folder is located.

In XP it is in "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

In Win7 it may be something like "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files"

Maybe someone with access to a Win7 machine can confirm.

Then you need to open the folder using Windows Explorer.

Change the View to be Detailed View.

One of the columns should be headed "Size".

Clicking on that heading should sort the files by size.

You may need to click twice to get the big files listed first.

Then see if they look like something that can be deleted - or post the name here and we'll tell you.

re. Task Manager: if you can run it, you should be able to sort the order of the displayed tasks so that the most active one is at the top. See if there are any tasks running that you don't recognise.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up and final post on this subject.

'System temporary files' maxed out last week at 600MB daily removed by CCleaner.

Now back to normal on the Lenovo and the desk top with XP is acting strangely with same symptoms.

The hard drive activity light on the Lenovo seldom flashes now.

The only change has been the monthly updates from Microsoft.

Hmmmmm !!!