Toddler Dies After Being Left In Thai School Bus

webfact

So again a tragedy is used as a stick for ignorant people to generalise a race of people. This happens all over the world, and often whilst the child is under the care of it's parent/s. So I guess somehwere like the states or the U.k is really full of hypocrites as we assume that "parents really love their kids"

Spring/summer period in the States this happens roughly once a week. In Europe during Winter you can add hypothermia deaths to the Summer Hyperthermia deaths.

As for "This little boy wasn't left in a car though. He was in a bus under the supervision of 'professionals'."

Yes as were 52% of the children in the U.s stastics.

Australia, France, Britain all report these deaths.

But hey don't worry about it just keep ranting and posting your ill informed tripe as long as it makes you feel racially superior.

Oh Dear.

I wondered when the "ThaI can do no wrong" brigade would rear its ugly head.

Firstly, where is your proof? Do you really expect us to believe you with nothing to back it up with.

Your post is irrelevant, as we are living in Thailand.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible.

Were these people not aware of what happened to the little girl a month ago.

RIP little man.

"Awareness" is an abstract if not ALIEN concept in Thailand. Common sense is not too abundant either. You would think the death of little girl a few weeks ago would have raised "awareness" of school van drivers. A totally unnecessary and easily avoidable death for a child. The education system combined with society just does not produce many that have reasonable cognitive function/awareness.

Like the middle class lady that pushed her supermarket shopping cart into me today. She was not aware of people that were in her path.

Nothing will change even if 10 toddlers die each week in vans. Swapping the moribund education system for one that teaches critical thinking is the only hope.

I hope you read her the riot act. Those shopping trolleys can be painful at certain speeds.

This fills me with both rage and despair, it is outrageous and unforgivable and indicates a callous indifference toward life.

If these are the people responsible for thailand's future, there is little hope.

And when you bring this up to the Thai's about how irresponsible this is, what you get is the - Mai Bhen Rai crap.

Dealing with Thai people is sometimes like dealing with kindergartners.

Sometimes they will completely agree with you for that moment but its as if very few are able to adapt/learn from mistakes. Case in point; yesterday upon walking to the up escalator after reaching street level at the busy sukumwit MRT station,

3 women walking abreast in front of me simply stopped at the foot of up escalator. Looks like they decided to discuss something. They were blocking many many people that wanted to use the up escalator. In thai I harshly said excuse me, they turned to look at me as if I had offended them, I just shook my head left to right in disbelief and asked them "do you care if you block other people?" "other people need to use this way also" Anyway other thais nodded in firm agreement with me.

I have never seen this style in nearby developing SE asian countries.

• Like 2

You see, one should imagine that the odds of a tragic accident like this should go down instantly after they occur.

Thus for it to occur so quickly again really does highlight a big problem in communication at schools alone. It would appear that people can't, don't and will not learn from experience in Thailand.

This fills me with both rage and despair, it is outrageous and unforgivable and indicates a callous indifference toward life.

If these are the people responsible for thailand's future, there is little hope.

And when you bring this up to the Thai's about how irresponsible this is, what you get is the - Mai Bhen Rai crap.

Dealing with Thai people is sometimes like dealing with kindergartners.

Sometimes they will completely agree with you for that moment but its as if very few are able to adapt/learn from mistakes. Case in point; yesterday upon walking to the up escalator after reaching street level at the busy sukumwit MRT station,

3 women walking abreast in front of me simply stopped at the foot of up escalator. Looks like they decided to discuss something. They were blocking many many people that wanted to use the up escalator. In thai I harshly said excuse me, they turned to look at me as if I had offended them, I just shook my head left to right in disbelief and asked them "do you care if you block other people?" "other people need to use this way also" Anyway other thais nodded in firm agreement with me.

I have never seen this style in nearby developing SE asian countries.

Have you ever seen people at the bottom of escalators handing out leaflets in big c.

Amazingly dumb. People stopping to read flyers while trolleys are coming down the escalator behind them. And yes, I did see a pile up.

• Like 2

Terrible.

RIP little man.

"Awareness" is an abstract if not ALIEN concept in Thailand. Common sense is not too abundant either. You would think the death of little girl a few weeks ago would have raised "awareness" of school van drivers. A totally unnecessary and easily avoidable death for a child. The education system combined with society just does not produce many that have reasonable cognitive function/awareness.

Like the middle class lady that pushed her supermarket shopping cart into me today. She was not aware of people that were in her path.

Nothing will change even if 10 toddlers die each week in vans. Swapping the moribund education system for one that teaches critical thinking is the only hope.

I hope you read her the riot act. Those shopping trolleys can be painful at certain speeds.

Mid frontal cart hit my lateral thigh, not so bad. I have been hit in the shin before though which did hurt a lot. All it takes is a little "focus" while pushing the trolley. It is not quantum physics or cerebral aneurysm surgery.

• Like 1

You see, one should imagine that the odds of a tragic accident like this should go down instantly after they occur.

Thus for it to occur so quickly again really does highlight a big problem in communication at schools alone. It would appear that people can't, don't and will not learn from experience in Thailand.

After nearly 11,000 posts you just figured that out?

After nearly 11,000 posts you just figured that out?
Well would you rather I said that all Thai bus drivers are f*******t irresponsible p****ks.

Because, the Thais "can do no wrong brigade", and the "if you don't like it go homers", don't seem to realise the very point I raise above.

For something like this to happen twice so close to each other is the absolute grossest b of incompetence.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

So again a tragedy is used as a stick for ignorant people to generalise a race of people. This happens all over the world, and often whilst the child is under the care of it's parent/s. So I guess somehwere like the states or the U.k is really full of hypocrites as we assume that "parents really love their kids"

Spring/summer period in the States this happens roughly once a week. In Europe during Winter you can add hypothermia deaths to the Summer Hyperthermia deaths.

As for "This little boy wasn't left in a car though. He was in a bus under the supervision of 'professionals'."

But hey don't worry about it just keep ranting and posting your ill informed tripe as long as it makes you feel racially superior.

It has NOTHING to do with race but everything to do with education and society. There's no shortage of intellectually challenged Caucasian expats in case you haven't noticed.

• Like 1

while many here are generalising against thais, i would like to point out that i am outraged simply at the unnecessary and stupid death of a child. i could not care less where that child came from or the nationality of the person responsible.

furthermore, as my child is thai, i do not wish to tar all her countrymen with the same brush as that is equally depressing.

what i would like is someone to learn from this and ensure that it can not happen again,

while many here are generalising against thais, i would like to point out that i am outraged simply at the unnecessary and stupid death of a child. i could not care less where that child came from or the nationality of the person responsible.

furthermore, as my child is thai, i do not wish to tar all her countrymen with the same brush as that is equally depressing.

what i would like is someone to learn from this and ensure that it can not happen again,

The problem is it did happen already. A few weeks ago. Apparently no one learnt. So, God please, let these people do their jobs PROPERLY.

Terrible.

RIP little man.

For them to be aware would need them to read a newspaper or watch the news on Tv... Most Thai's don't bother with either..And then it was LAST month...so forgotten about now...

Rip little boy..

• Like 1

No one is generalizing AGAINST Thais, they are commenting ABOUT society in a sad manner indeed.

The cases have sparked an outcry over lax child safety standards in

Thailand, where summer temperatures routinely soar beyond 35 degrees

Celsius (95 Fahrenheit).

"Child safety standards"?! Thailand's safety standards across the board would make a skydiver blush. Check this out:

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

According to the data presented, it is safer to drive in Ethiopia or Sudan than Thailand, and of the five countries with more road fatalities than Thailand, one is Iran and the other Iraq. What a tragedy, less than a week after another child was 'killed' in similar circumstances. I know its cute in expat circles to talk about how free Thailand is and how it's not a "nanny-state" and this and that. I would just say that for families, a "nanny-state" ought to be EXACTLY what you're looking for. Every once and a while I come across a young family, wondering if they ought to try Thailand while the Western economies are in limbo. I don't tell them not to come. I tell them to run in any other direction. Not only are Thai children in the Thai schools systematically neglected to the extent that some die, but the mindsets of the people in Thailand are fatally "unprogressive" (LITERALLY) and the scools is churning out citizen after citizen without any skills or cognitive abilities that could be valuable in the real, globalized, constantly-changing world. Thailand is literally in the midst of sowing its own decline. I have Thai family members and I can say that since I moved back to the US, my wife especially has been SHOCKED at how insufficient her education and job training has been (she worked in management for the Marriott Bangkok). On the job side, many Thais don't realize that their job titles do not reflect their skills and training, as many companies sub-divide job responsibilities in Thailand to the extent that a blind person with down syndrome could function with flying colors.

May I just add that this is not the fault of the people but due to education and societal mores. I cannot disagree with anything you wrote.

• Like 1

If there is one thing that I have learned after over 10 years of living in Thailand, it is that Thais have zero regard for life, be it of others, or even their own.

This story is truely disgusting.

I haven't yet read through all the comments on this, but let me say in advance, if anyone starts speaking up in support of baby murderers. I will unceremoniously rip them several new ones...

A couple years ago I posted a news story on my Facebook page about parents leaving their children in cars in the US, and the children dying, and a FAcebook "acquaintance" (I won't use the word "friend") countered with a link to a news article SYMPATHETIC to parents who murdered their children by leaving them in cars in the summer...

Of course, I quickly unfriended and blocked the dolt...but...<deleted>?! Apparently it's a "thing," maybe even a "cause," to sympathize and defend baby murderers, at least in the US...it's seems to be somehow "liberal" in nature...and let me say that I'm usually so far left on issues that I make Obama look like Reagan...but THIS...yikes.

• Like 1

If school kids pay their bus fee every trip on disembarking, you can bet your ass not a single kid will remain behind on reaching the destination.

you stay thailand long time..... :-)

Nah, just landed yesterday. Haven't read the TAT brochures yet. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

sad.png

402.gif Rest in Peace, little one.

This is so tragic, and one can only hope that politicians can turn their attention towards safety long enough to put some safety standard requirements in place for vehicles busing children, and for children in vehicles in general.

Also, I commend BuddhistVirus for -- "402.gif Rest in Peace, little one." -- that is, for spelling out this sentiment, rather than using the customary abbreviation. That "RIP" always seems a rather cursory, shallow way to express sympathy.

I echo the sentiments of the above poster, 402.gifRest in Peace, little one. And I hope the loss of your life will not have been in vain, but can somehow serve some purpose in preventing this from happening again.

ep, me too - and I get sick of hearing "oh how the Thais love children so much", then reading this (again) and every day seeing kids on motorcycles with zero protection...pure hypocrisy, like so many things in this place

But there is hope!

More and more half thai half farang children are born,so somehow the IQ is going to multiply with 100 (or more)

this will be the smart generation .But they will have to get to the top ...and that will be not easy.

"oh how the Thais love children so much........never seen ! They dont give a sh#t about any thing else than themselves !

And if you counter them .......wach out for the kichen nife !beatdeadhorse.gif

yes your right but half a brain doesnt get you an important job in thailand,its only the ones with no brain that gets office.

hang the bar--ads.

i hope these morans dont own dogs.

• Like 1

If school kids pay their bus fee every trip on disembarking, you can bet your ass not a single kid will remain behind on reaching the destination.

you stay thailand long time..... :-)

Nah, just landed yesterday. Haven't read the TAT brochures yet. rolleyes.gif

With over 6,000 posts, I'd guess "Dirty old man" has been in Thailand for more than a week or two. That is a good point, also, the suggestion of paying when disembarking. But, do three year olds normally pack the change and pay their bus driver?

When busing kids under a certain age, they should be required to get a receipt from a teacher or other responsible person, showing that the kids have all been delivered and received on each trip. It's not like they are delivering pizza, which the delivery boys are NOT going to leave sitting in the box unpaid-for.

In Victoria you can't leave them in the car for a single minute.

If you are even more than 5 metres from your vehicle and your keys are in the ignition you can be charged.

All incidents of a child left unattended in a vehicle must be reported to the Department of Human Services who then have the authority to sieze the children.

Edited by chooka

Yes it is, whilst it is rare children have been left in cars and the child has died from heat stroke.

Terrible.

RIP little man.

Sadly enough, your answer shows how much you know about Thai people and their way of life.

Thai people don't like to be bothered with what happened yesterday.

Yesterday is the past.

You can not change it anymore.

Looking backwards will hinder you in progressing forward.

Thai people are not concerned about what happen to anybody.

If anybody get sick or die, it is only because carry have a bad Karma from their present or their previous life.

Sharing your feelings with the sick or the dead will bring bad Karma over you as well.

It is not your fault.

So stay away from it

Interesting view - So how do you think that's working our for this little toddler, the mother & father, the school kids, teacher and the country?

I'm sure somewhere in Thai culture there is something about learning from others as well. Yet it's like every event happens for the first time!

UPDATE:
Teacher faces suit over child's death

PONGPAT TRAIPIPAT,
SUPINDA NA MAHACHAI
THE NATION
Si Sa Ket

30206243-01_big.jpg

SI SA KET: -- The parents of a three-year-old boy who died after having been left inside a pickup truck for hours, have filed a police complaint against the teacher they hold responsible for their son's death and have vowed to take legal action against her.

Meanwhile, the school's owner Boonma Nuansai said the school would take full responsibility for the child's death and has given the parents Bt30,000 for funeral expenses.

On Tuesday, Suriyakarn Thachan and other kindergarteners were picked up by their Uthumphon Witthaya School teacher Amphika Phetnam.

It is believed that Amphika forgot to check to see if Suriyakarn was still sleeping in the rear seat after other students got out.

The child was found dead in the afternoon.

The child's mother Thanyathorn Boonma, 27, and father Sarayut Thachan, 30, said they would file a lawsuit against the teacher because she was careless.

Amphika's lawyer confirmed that the teacher would undergo police interrogation today.

EARLIER CASE

Suriyakarn is the second young student to have died after being left inside a locked vehicle. The first case was when a three-year-old girl was left locked in a kindergarten school bus in Samut Prakarn and developed brain swelling. She later died in hospital.

In response to the problem, the Education Ministry has set up a fact-finding committee to look into Suriyakarn's case and is instructing every school to educate kindergarteners about what they should do if they are left in a locked vehicle.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-16

Yep, me too - and I get sick of hearing "oh how the Thais love children so much", then reading this (again) and every day seeing kids on motorcycles with zero protection...pure hypocrisy, like so many things in this place

Yes, this is tragic indeed, and the people concerned need jail time. Thais love children so much they give up their seats on public transport to five year olds. As for the parents of underage kids riding motorbikes, why are they not punished when the kids are hurt or killed on a motorbike? How easy would it be to make it law that every hospital must report every underage kid admitted to hospital be reported to the authorities? Yes, I know about bribery, but that will never be stopped in this hypocritical country.