Bangkok Officers In Phuket To Stamp Out Public Butts

webfact

Bangkok officers in Phuket to stamp out public butts
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Flagrant disregard for non-smoking laws in Phuket has prompted officers from the Bureau of Tobacco Control in Bangkok to plaster Phuket International Airport, Phuket Bus Terminal 2 and a variety of private businesses across the island with no-smoking stickers.

“Most public areas are smoke-free areas by law, yet we still have found many tourists and local business operators disobeying the signs, despite having seen them,” Tobacco Control Bureau Legal officer Kanet Wongsa told the Phuket Gazette.

In addition to putting up no-smoking stickers, officers spoke with guards and staff to enlist their help in monitoring and preventing people from smoking in prohibited areas.

“It is possible that some people might not understand the law clearly or they do not take the law seriously. Either way, we are here to make sure there is change,” Mr Kanet said.

After an initial warning from a guard or staffer, a person can be reported to police and fined up to 2,000 baht.

“We have assigned the Phuket Provincial Health Office and the regional Public Health Office for all of Southern Thailand to survey public areas weekly and report to us,” Mr Kanet said.

Mr Kanet and his team will return to Phuket in two weeks to follow what progress, if any, is being made.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Bangkok-officers-in-Phuket-to-stamp-out-public-butts-21059.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-16

• Like 1

There are a bunch of off-duty pollicemen who regularly use the local bar/restaurant that I frequent, and there isn't one of them who leaves the table to go outside to use the public smoking area, so what kind of hypocrisy is this?

• Like 2

Good idea, gotta start somewhere.

Small steps get you there eventually....

Like the 100% motorbike helmet law? Thats worked...crazy.gif

But you see many more people in cities wearing them.

Remember how long it took to enforce in the UK?

Give it time, increase the fines and it will get there.

At least the fine here is a reasonable deterrent!

• Like 1

Chatuchak market is non smoking. Go in to the art section by the front. Isle after isle of Thai guys drinking and smoking. Cops seem to be afraid to say anything, they do look nefarious.

There are a bunch of off-duty pollicemen who regularly use the local bar/restaurant that I frequent, and there isn't one of them who leaves the table to go outside to use the public smoking area, so what kind of hypocrisy is this?

Kind? Standard Phuket kind.

It's very nearly there in Chiang Mai, persistence does pay.

• Like 2

Your right about the fines. But also the attitude of the Police, notice a lot of police not wearing helmets. Plus none of the muslim people wear them with them things on their heads on the way to the mosque. I think it could take many years.

Your right about the fines. But also the attitude of the Police, notice a lot of police not wearing helmets. Plus none of the muslim people wear them with them things on their heads on the way to the mosque. I think it could take many years.

Really? Why do you stay here? It seems to me you don't like the people who have lived here way before you ever arrived... I have no problem with most Thais, no matter what their religion. There are good and bad, it doesn't matter from where or what you or they may believe in...

Get you where exactly? Back to farangnannyland?

Sounds like you're missing your home mate. To me it sounds like a giant step backward to where I came from, and the very reasons I left where I came from! rolleyes.gif

Edited by iSabai
  • Like 2

The Marine had just ended a Tour in Afganistan,shot at,roadside Bombs, comes here for a brake and some Hand Flaping P.C goon says No enjoy nice Cold Beer and Smoke. Ah Well,perhaps the Hand Flappers never been in a Firefight,and needed a Smoke afterwards.

• Like 1

One of my most memorable smokes I had in an area with many many NON-smoking signs....

I did not want to smoke a cigaret at that time however, BUT there were 2 police officers in uniform smoking away, right under the signs. So I could not resist myself to stand near them and also smoke... There was nothing they could do whistling.gif

• Like 1

CM police regularly set up checkpoints at various locations in the city, mainly concentrating on motocyclists, one would expect that the most stubborn ones would eventually get tired of being fined 200baht for not wearing the helmet in the bike basket, and wear it instead.

...and then they ride on with their motorcycles with a hat on, but no helmet at all.

• Like 1

How dare you suggest that it isn't only tourists and business operators, that disobey signs, shame on you. Are you suggesting that the honourable Khun Kanet Wongsa is wrong or worse still.. RACIST. (please people, all said tongue in cheek, except for maybe the racist part)

Nothing gives me a migraine more quickly than men and women wearing perfume. Step into an elevator with someone who bathes in perfume or cologne, or puts on too much deodorant. I have the right to enjoy fresh air and be migraine free. Let's ban all hair sprays, colognes, perfumes and deodorants in public places. (tic)

• Like 1

CM police regularly set up checkpoints at various locations in the city, mainly concentrating on motocyclists, one would expect that the most stubborn ones would eventually get tired of being fined 200baht for not wearing the helmet in the bike basket, and wear it instead.

Yeah and the ice cream bucket will make all the difference !

There are no standards here and FREEDOM OF CHOICE is one reason I live here, my helmet is DOT approved, I ALWAYS wear boots and jeans on my bike. But if you choose to wear flip flops and no helmet UP2U........

Ace of Pop, on 17 May 2013 - 09:44, said:

The Marine had just ended a Tour in Afganistan,shot at,roadside Bombs, comes here for a brake and some Hand Flaping P.C goon says No enjoy nice Cold Beer and Smoke. Ah Well,perhaps the Hand Flappers never been in a Firefight,and needed a Smoke afterwards.

What a ridiculous comparison....you might as well say that the doctor that has just saved a life, the firefighter that just risked his life, the miner that just finished a shift below ground, etc, etc, etc, an absolutely idiotic post 'AoP'...
  • Like 2