N S C Holds A Seminar On Thailand's Attitude Towards South China Sea Situation

webfact

NSC holds a seminar on Thailand's attitude towards South China Sea situation

BANGKOK, 17 May 2013 (NNT) – The National Security Council (NSC) has organized a technical seminar on Thailand's stance and security towards the current situation in the South China Sea.

NSC Secretary General Lieutenant General Paradon Pattanatabutr presided over the opening of the seminar which is participated by experts in legal, international relations, and military fields.

The seminar is conducted over rising concern on the South China Sea territorial disputes among the countries sharing the region that may compromise Thailand's security.

Lieutenant General Paradon stated, Thailand as the coordinator between ASEAN and China, needs to develop knowledge and understanding about the issue in order to maintain good relations between China and ASEAN member countries involved in the problem.

He said balancing the power between ASEAN and China is the key to success in approaching with the matter. The NSC Secretary General admitted that the territorial dispute shows worse signs, thus it is crucial to prepare measures to contain the situation.

Lieutenant General Paradon said the NSC will later submit strategic plans compiled from the information gained from the seminar to the Prime Minister for consideration.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-17 footer_n.gif

Is this a fancy way of saying Thailand is trying to decide which side to back in the event things really hot up ? Like their support for foreign football teams etc. Thais always like to back the winners.

• Like 2

Hasn't Yingluck promised to tackle the conflict with "a woman's touch"?

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Wednesday her government will "make every effort to help build trust and
confidence" among parties in the South China Sea disputes. Shinawatra, speaking at Asia Society in New York, added that Thailand's role as
ASEAN coordinator for China issues gives it a unique role to play in the region — as does her gender.

"Perhaps I can bring a bit of a woman's touch to addressing this conflict,"

http://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/thai-prime-minister-womans-touch-needed-south-china-sea-dispute

Here's one approach to a solution.

After all, only 3100 km of the sea touch the shores of the PRC, while 130,00 km of the sea touches the shorelines of Asean nations.

Change the name "South China Sea" to "Southeast Asia Sea"

http://www.change.org/petitions/change-the-name-south-china-sea-to-southeast-asia-sea

Petitioning Presidents and Prime Ministers of 11 Countries of Southeast Asia

Further, This petition will be delivered to:

President, The United Nations Atlas of the Oceans
President, The United Nations
Canadian Geographic
President, National Hydrographic Office (India)
President, Canadian Royal Geographic
President, Japan Academic Societies Center
President, European Geographic Society
President, Korean Geographical Society
President, Geographical Society (France)
President, Russian Geographical Society
President, Royal Geographical Society (UK)
President and Officers, National Geographic Society
CEO and President, Google Inc.
CEO and Executive Chairman German Geographic
President, Australian Geographic
Chairman and President, Secretary General of ASEAN Surin Pitsuwan

Hasn't Yingluck promised to tackle the conflict with "a woman's touch"?

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Wednesday her government will "make every effort to help build trust and

confidence" among parties in the South China Sea disputes. Shinawatra, speaking at Asia Society in New York, added that Thailand's role as

ASEAN coordinator for China issues gives it a unique role to play in the region — as does her gender.

"Perhaps I can bring a bit of a woman's touch to addressing this conflict,"

http://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/thai-prime-minister-womans-touch-needed-south-china-sea-dispute

That's what Margaret Thatcher used to say when playing the gender card!

• Like 1

While Thailand muddles its way around not siding with Beijing, avoiding the United States, and ignoring the Philippines going to the UN International Treaty of the Law of the Sea, we need to look at the big player in the game, the real and actual counterweight to the CCP-PRC in its claim that the South China Sea is a "core interest" of Beijing which means it asserts complete and absolute sovereignty over the SCS.

America and the South China Sea Challenge

America must make hard choices and put forth the effort necessary to ensure that the S. China Sea remains peaceful in 2013 and beyond

http://thediplomat.com/2013/05/03/america-and-the-south-china-sea-challenge/

So now we see that the USS Nimitz (and of course the carrier group) will be visiting Phuket. I take that as a show of solidarity to the Chinese. The carrier group has been off the coast of Korea until the fat kid stopped his threats. Now it is visiting The Philippines and Thailand.

Dang, if anyone has the chance to see that thing it's unreal. Huge. More firepower and technology than we can imagine. Nuclear powered and can run for almost 25 years without refueling. One was open to the public in San Diego several years ago and I got on it, but wasn't allowed to see that much. Just walking up to it was overwhelming. It's 18 stories tall.

So now we see that the USS Nimitz (and of course the carrier group) will be visiting Phuket. I take that as a show of solidarity to the Chinese. The carrier group has been off the coast of Korea until the fat kid stopped his threats. Now it is visiting The Philippines and Thailand.

Dang, if anyone has the chance to see that thing it's unreal. Huge. More firepower and technology than we can imagine. Nuclear powered and can run for almost 25 years without refueling. One was open to the public in San Diego several years ago and I got on it, but wasn't allowed to see that much. Just walking up to it was overwhelming. It's 18 stories tall.

Yeah, those things are awesome, breathtaking. It takes a lot more to design, construct and operate one of those sea buggies than China could ever imagine of its Great Wall. Of course, now we refer to the Great Firewall of the CCP-PRC, i.e., censorship of the internet.

I have a sense this NSC meeting means the U.S. has prevailed over Beijing to get Thailand off the dime to support the Phils in their turning to the UN Law of the Sea Treaty in Manila's disputes with Beijing over the West Philippine Sea. The Thai minister of defence and the head of the army were recently in Beijing for meetings, giving the impression I'm sure that the Boyz in Beijing are just the greatest guys who always can count on Thailand. Meaning Thailand is about to stick it to Beijing on the Phils issue, which has Beijing hopping mad since the Phils took the action last month. International law?! That's not even in the vocabulary of the Boyz.

Hmmm, the Chinese-Thai citizens that control the majority of Thailand ,versus some Thai fishermen and their families .

China is the new expansionist nation, the europeans had their century of conquests, now the big reds turn.

Yeah, those things are awesome, breathtaking. It takes a lot more to design, construct and operate one of those sea buggies than China could ever imagine of its Great Wall. Of course, now we refer to the Great Firewall of the CCP-PRC, i.e., censorship of the internet.

I have a sense this NSC meeting means the U.S. has prevailed over Beijing to get Thailand off the dime to support the Phils in their turning to the UN Law of the Sea Treaty in Manila's disputes with Beijing over the West Philippine Sea. The Thai minister of defence and the head of the army were recently in Beijing for meetings, giving the impression I'm sure that the Boyz in Beijing are just the greatest guys who always can count on Thailand. Meaning Thailand is about to stick it to Beijing on the Phils issue, which has Beijing hopping mad since the Phils took the action last month. International law?! That's not even in the vocabulary of the Boyz.

Oh, I hope you're right. I can't figure out how Thailand could cut any kind of deal with China which would risk running their fishing out of that entire sea.

Thailand just has to see that it's almost everyone being run out, and that the only hope is that the US has treaties to defend all of them, and will and is keeping that commitment.

Hmmm, the Chinese-Thai citizens that control the majority of Thailand ,versus some Thai fishermen and their families .

China is the new expansionist nation, the europeans had their century of conquests, now the big reds turn.

"China is the new expansionist nation, the europeans had their century of conquests, now the big little dick's reds turn."

Without using nukes, China ain't shirt. They don't have a decent ship or airplane or bomb. Thailand bought some military hardware from them and had to scrap it.

China will back down.

ms-1.jpg

Edited by NeverSure

As mentioned previously, I was an Lt in the navy (submarines but spent 90% of my time in Brussels at NATO) and had occasion to see these behemoths up close . . . they are indeed breathtakingly striking . . . and one of my least favorite, but most apt, words comes to mind: awesome.

Comparing the European expansion during colonialism isn't quite apt because Europeans (and the US) looked far afield, where China is expanding - or wants to expand - from its borders.

Can they do it? Who knows how brazen a country is that doesn't have to bow to the will of the people - mind you the US population doesn't have anything to say in this regard either apart from voting out the party in question).

The fact that many people of Chinese ancestry inhabit ASEAN countries mean nothing at all, in terms of support for the PRC - it's quite the opposite actually

Edited by Sing_Sling

I suppose when China starts claiming islands in the Gulf of Thailand ,is when Thailand will take a stance. In the meantime I am sure they are counting their lucky stars they do not share a border with China,nor have to fight over islands....

Sing_Sing said today: "The fact that many people of Chinese ancestry inhabit ASEAN countries mean nothing at all, in terms of support for the PRC - it's quite the opposite actually".

Indeed, Thais throughout SE Asia identify as Sino-Thais, Sino-Burmese etc. It is one of the great delusions of Beijing and the PRChinese sheeple, propagandized by Beijing, that the Chinese diaspora are loyal Chinese because they are, well, Chinese. Beijing likes to call the Chinese diaspora "Overseas Chinese."

I kept saying to the PRChinese on the mainland that in the U.S. we have Chinese-Americans, Japanese-Americans, Fillipino-Americans etc, and that the operative word and loyalty is "American." Likewise for Sino-Thais, Sino-Cambodians, Sino-Indonesian etc. But I'm not Beijing speaking to the Chinese sheeple, so my statements go in one ear and out the other.

I've had extensive and frequent discussions with educated Sino-Thais here in Thailand who are indeed Thais, not Chinese. However, they want and need to believe the PRChina will soon morph into a democracy, which is the major (and really serious) flaw in their thinking and belief.

Meanwhile, for whatever period of time 'meanwhile' may be, The Sino-Thais don't want CCP influence or control in Thailand. They know the CCP and its PRC are a censoring, punishing dictatorship and want nothing to do with that, they want none of those influences in Thailand - at least not directly from Beijing (Thaksin with some Sino-Thais may be another matter).

Indeed, back when Chen Shui Bian the independence party candidate won the Taiwan presidency in 2000, Beijing was shocked that, after all the shouting and hollering it did at the voters of Taiwan to reject Chen, he won the election. Beijing couldn't believe the "overseas Chinese" of Taiwan could even imagine defying Beijing. The disloyalty! The disconnect! The shock to the CCP and the PRChinese sheeple!

The CCP lives in its own combination dream world of being both the CCP and of being Chinese per se, a fantasy world that is wholly disconnected from the world outside the mainland. Ideology is a brain disease and being Chinese is a state of fantasy, both conditions being hopeless. And dangerous.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1