Unwanted Guest

HeijoshinCool

Since yesterday, I've got an unwanted guest in my house. Almost a foot long with the tail, and he doesn't seem to appreciate my hospitality. I'd like him to leave.

However, he's squeezed himself between two exposed "rafters" (typical Thai construction) making physical extraction problematic. Besides, he has a baaaaad temper, and getting close is aggressively discouraged. By him.

There's an open window nearby (probably how he got in). The door is a ways off.

Any ideas of how to get him to leave? He's crapping on my floor, and not ten feet from the bed. Want him out by tonight.

And, please, no splitting hairs in this thread, about what a "guest" is. laugh.png There's already a thread going for that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those guys are useful in keeping down the smaller visitors so don't harm him. Once he's cleaned out your house of pests he'll go.

We had one get into the house once. He kept out of the way for a few days and then appeared in the kitchen sink, swearing whenever I went near. I got a local to wrap a towel around him and take him outside. There's was no way that I was going anywhere near those teeth.

Perhaps you'll keep your window closed in future! smile.png

Agree about the cold water, also mothballs - most reptiles don't like them. The only potential problem is that he and his wife may have already made a nest inside the wall. He won't give that up easily. We had one in a cabin for more than 2 years, he was only removed when we had to rebuild it. Beautiful creature - blue, green and grey, but yes an angry bugger. Some Thais near us breed them for sale as pets, maybe you might have a 'visitor' catcher near you.

We have 2 around our house. One the wife says is medium size and the other a little smaller. The wife says the smaller one is female . I thnik they have a nest in the attic. They were outside before but now I see the female in the house for the last 2 days on the wall. We like them they keep the bugs down in the house. The only problem is they poop in the house and every morning we need to clean some areas. The wife says just donot let them grab on to me . She says they are difficult to remove as they hold on real good.

Last one I had, I put on my welding gloves and grabbed him with a towel and threw him over the fence. He had locked onto the towel and took it with him.

• Like 2

try the food trick, depending on what it is and what it likes to eat. Bring him/her this treat and lay out all the way out the door.

He is probably also scared and hence "hiding"

This method never works for Wiley Coyote.

T

• Like 1

Generally having geckos means your house is clean,plus they eat all the nasty,biting insects that are trying to feast on you while you sleep!Why on earth would you want to get rid of it?

• Like 2

I have seen a Thai use a small blue water pipe about a meter long with rope going through so there is like a noose at the end. Slowly place the rope around it's neck and pull the rope tight without killing it, he then took it away (probably sold it for chinese medicine smile.png ).

As someone says don't get bitten as they don't let go, if you do put it under water and it has to breathe so releases itself.

I don't mind the smaller ones but a foot long one would have to go.

Gee, it took reading 24 posts to realize you are talking geckos. Why so secretive?

They are lovely beasts, useful to a point. The problem is they are not house trained. Xxxx is a nuisance.

When I can - I catch them and throw out the window. Afraid the bastards know their way back ( I'm on a high floor).

Never saw a foot long one...

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

The picture in post 23 is not a Gecko, it's a Tokay. They will make a nest in your attic, make a lot of noise, poop everywhere and do have a tenacious bite! I have 10 dogs so they seem to stay away although I get one inside once in a while. The snare, post 24, is a good way of catching them although I use gloves and a towel. If they do bite you should clean the wound very good as they do carry a lot of germs and the wound becomes infected easily.

Sounds like a 'tokay'

The Thais I know use one of 2 methods.

1 - bamboo about 3 metres long, with a fined wire noose fixed to one end. Then patiently work noose around the offending creature, after that you have multiple choices.

2 - same bamboo, but with a bent spike, works well.

Best of luck

Sent from my M3 Enjoy TV Box using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app