How To Get A Driver's License In Thailand

girlx

my friend is going travelling for a couple of months and has offered to leave me his jeep to drive while he is gone. the problem is, being from NY where we take the subway and taxis, i have no driver's license. how can i get one in thailand? should i try to get an international driver's license or do i need to get a local one first? advice appreciated...

If you got no DL at all, you have a problem. An international permit can only be issued by the authority that issued your local one.

If you would have a US-licencde, very easy to apply for a Thai one.

No licence, means you have to make the Thai test, which is not too difficult.

I drove in Thailand for about 10 years without a license. I'm not saying this was wise. I got stopped by the police many times. Sometimes they accepted my UK one, but mostly were wanting a couple of red ones.

The only real advantage of having a license is in the case of a crash - but the chances are anyway that you(as the foreigner) will have to pay, especially.

Actually regarding the police <deleted>, you are usually best showing them a foriegn passport. They normally haven't a clue what to do. Give them a Thai license and they more than often fine you.

I find that the Thai driver's license is of more use in other areas like proof of who you are, not a tourist etc

is the test in thai? ......

Basically, the written test is in Thai but there are English translations etc.

My son did it when he was 18 and he does not speak or read Thai.

If you can drive a car, would say take a Thai driving teacher for a few hours and they can prepare you for the written thing.

If they know how to teach driving.... Probably I am too demanding.

The practical test is easy. Drive straight, stop and go up hill. Park parallel and back in.

Stop at a rail crossing.

...and Neeranam. In principle I agree to what you say.

The serious problem could only come up in case of an accident. No Thai licence, no payment by your insurance company.

Just imagine a very expensive damage, your mistake and the insurance is looking for a reason not to pay....

In daily practise I rarely show my Thai licence, but that's a different story.

you also can use it to fly in Thailand.

really?

Not really. I can just see the hysterical laughter going to a flying club and showing your Thai DL and say I want to rent a plane. :o

Even with my pilots license (US) I have to have a check rider go with me until it is transferred to a Thai version.

The second best thing about having a Thai DL is that you can use it as photo ID practically everywhere they ask you for ID. Means not having to carry around your passport.

Don't worry about getting it. Take the Jeep to the sticks, bring an experienced driver and get a little experience. I think my wife needed 4-5 hours max, from never having driven before to being comfortable enough to do the test.

The theory test is simple, a few questions - only problem is it's not always clear what they ask with their strangely translated questions - but they're very helpful - if you don't get enough answers right they usually give you another attempts until you get it right. TIT :o

The driving test let you drive a scale circuit. About 10 minutes you have to drive around following signs etc. Very very easy.

In the end, you can convert your Thai DL to an International and use it "back home" :D I thnk for US maybe not much difference but MUCH easier and cheaper than getting a DL anwhere in Europe.

you also can use it to fly in Thailand.

really?

Not really. I can just see the hysterical laughter going to a flying club and showing your Thai DL and say I want to rent a plane. :D

Even with my pilots license (US) I have to have a check rider go with me until it is transferred to a Thai version.

ROFL. I think he meant as a passenger in a commercial airline :o

The theory test is simple, a few questions - only problem is it's not always clear what they ask with their strangely translated questions - but they're very helpful - if you don't get enough answers right they usually give you another attempts until you get it right. TIT :o

Supposedly they have the rules of the roads in English so might want to get a copy. And 2nd, they usually have several questions regarding road signs so might want to look here:

http://driving.information.in.th/regulatory-signs.html

http://driving.information.in.th/warning-signs.html