Best Place To Change Baht?

Briandajew

Wonder if anyone knows a decent place to exchange Thai Baht to Chinese RMB?

I need to go to China next week and wondered if anyone has any ideas as to where the best rate of exchange would be for Thai Baht. I would have thought from past experience going to Europe that it might actually be better to try to buy Yuan here from a bank or an exchange bureau. When I tried changing Baht in the UK last trip, they gave terrible rates, nothing like what is shown online.

I need to change between 50K and 80K, depending on the rates, the exchange online reckons 50K Baht should equate to around 10K Yuan, anyone had any experience of exchanging Baht inside China and if you can get a decent rate?

Thanks

Baht are such an unimportant currency that anywhere outside Thailand will require a lot more margin to make it worth their while stocking/taking it.

Do all your bath exchanges in either direction inside Thailand.

Edited by PalMan

Baht are such an unimportant currency that anywhere outside Thailand will require a lot more margin to make it worth their while stocking/taking it.

Do all your bath exchanges in either direction inside Thailand.

Thanks!

Do you know if you can buy RMB from one of the major banks, like the SCB?

Where there is a huge gap between 'buy' and 'sell' rates for two currrencies means there isn't a deep market between them.

As such, change your baht to USD, take your USD to China and change them to RMB there. That way you'll get as close as possible to the 'real' exchange rate, even though you are adding one more transaction to that step.

• Like 2

Personally I think there'd be enough volume in renminbi that the double-exchange wouldn't work out better.

But if you're not sure, split it down the middle do an A/B test and then let us know for prosperity!

(actually posterity but I like the deepity)

I would think hitting an ATM once you are there would give you the best exchange rate???? Have some USD or Euro as backup just in case.

I have no ATM cards, all I keep is an old UK Visa card for emergencies. Thailand scares me with the amount of ATM scams.

SuperRich is better than most, in fact never seen another place give a significantly better rate so far, especially if you're negotiating for a large transaction they're the best.

I will give them a call tomorrow - The Chiang Mai branch, it does however seem that they do not sell currencies at all of their branches, nor do they offer the same rates outside of Bangkok - i.e. Chinese Yuan was advertised in BKK at 4.79, and 4.65 outside! Quite a mark up, but significantly better than anything you would get from the SCB!

The buy rates were even worse, 4.89 at Super Rich, 5.44 at SCB - I need to get about 50-60K Baht changed.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will take a chance with Super Rich.

Years ago, a friend took me to some small town outside of Chiang Rai to change the RMB I had left after working in China, we got almost 35% more in a Chinese shop up there than you could get in a bank here.

Looks like this is an example of where you can't find out everything on the Internet.

Like I said, do half best you can up there in RMB the other half into USD and then report back here which worked out better for you.

Edited by PalMan

Looks like this is an example of where you can't find out everything on the Internet.

Like I said, do half best you can up there in RMB the other half into USD and then report back here which worked out better for you.

I can tell you at the moment in China you will get around 6.1 RMB per $USD (I did 2 weeks ago) - but the rate is slowly dropping and maybe now just below 6.1.

Compare that to the baht/$ and baht/RMB rate you can get now in Thailand and see which is best.