Walen School - Teacher Training + One Year Thai Work Permit, 49,960 Baht

But you still haven't told us what we get for 50k !!

Only 100 hrs of lessons...

What about this WORK PERMIT ???

Explain please in concise form, not a ramble..

Still waiting.. Thanks

120 hrs of training, work permit as a Walen teacher. Work depending on the available lessons and ability. Concise enough?

Getting there...

If working for Walen, obviously this would be after the training course. So what are the provisions put in place whilst studying ?? Plus what are the pre requisites for the course ?

Thanks

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How come it took me 3 years of study to become a qualified teacher when Walen can do it in weeks? Opp's I forgot at the end of my course I got a degree that is acceptable in any part of the world not, some expensive piece of paper that doesn't prove anything!

Yes Brian, I can absolutely do it, and my teachers will be teaching faster than you, no doubt about it. I made millions doing it, I really know what I am talking about. Your 3 year teaching degree does not impress me much. What I care about is the ability to teach. You might not even get a job at my school if you could not demonstrate your ability to teach. We do not give people jobs just because they show us their degrees. Is that clear enough?

Well if you've "made MILLIONS" why are you trying to flog your "services", just retire and enjoy your millions....oh, perhaps you might also learn to write English.

You think I teach myself? I employ teachers to teach. I believe I am a good trainer and I know how to run a business. Don't need any comments about it as I really know what I do. My accent or mistakes I make from time to time have never been much of an issue. Negative mind magnifies things. I am not much of a crowd winner. That much is pretty obvious. Murray, very witty of you.

But you still haven't told us what we get for 50k !!

Only 100 hrs of lessons...

What about this WORK PERMIT ???

Explain please in concise form, not a ramble..

Still waiting.. Thanks

120 hrs of training, work permit as a Walen teacher. Work depending on the available lessons and ability. Concise enough?

No. Because you refuse to answer fundamental questions about said work permit and teachers license.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

kkkbkk, on 24 May 2013 - 00:38, said:

arrogance arrogance arrogance w00t.gif

how on earth can this guy talk about teaching, not to mention teacher training, if he has no respect for his potential students (a key quality for any teacher and fellow human alike...) sick.gif

This man is obsessed with making money and couldn't care less about his students ( I mean customers who have no idea they're being ripped off..)

and yes thaicbr, you're spot on. English is NOT his mother tongue.... tongue.png

R

How can you say such nonsense? I do not care about my students? You really don't know me or the culture of the Walen school at all. English is not my mother tongue. Do you have a problem with that? I speak it well enough though. I am having those interesting exchanges with you guys, who are mostly native speakers, and I can understand you perfectly well and I guess you understand me well enough too. Would that be yet another reason to dislike me? A guy who is not a native speaker runs an English school and is doing it well, how shocking? I have no problem with that. I did not choose the place I was born in, and indeed, till I was 19 I did not know a word of English. When I was 29 I opened an English school in Silom and that was an absolute hit. I could go on and on. Not being a native speaker was never much of a problem for me. So once again, it is true I am not a native English speaker, I also never said I was one. To make things more interesting, I am an Australian, but that is yet another interesting story -).

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

arrogance arrogance arrogance Posted Image

how on earth can this guy talk about teaching, not to mention teacher training, if he has no respect for his potential students (a key quality for any teacher and fellow human alike...)  Posted Image

This man is obsessed with making money and couldn't care less about his students ( I mean customers who have no idea they're being ripped off..)

and yes thaicbr, you're spot on. English is NOT his mother tongue.... Posted Image

R

How can you say such nonsense? I do not care about my students? You really don't know me or the culture of the Walen school at all. English is not my mother tongue. Do you have a problem with that? I speak it well enough though. I am having those interesting exchanges with you guys, who are mostly native speakers, and I can understand you perfectly well and I guess you understand me well enough too. Would that be yet another reason to dislike me? A guy who is not a native speaker runs an English school and is doing it well, how shocking? I have no problem with that. I did not choose the place I was born in, and indeed, till I was 19 I did not know a word of English. When I was 29 I opened an English school in Silom and that was an absolute hit. I could go on and on. Not being a native speaker was never much of a problem for me. So once again, it is true I am not a native English speaker, I also never said I was one. But to make things more interesting, I am an Australian, but that is yet another interesting story -). 

It's been oft said that the schooling system in Australia has been going downhill for years.... but not learning English until passed 19. I find that hard to believe.

Any news on the answers to my questions?

I personally don't have a problem with the fact that you are not a native English speaker.

Your business credentials are in no doubt for me either. My wife runs a small English school at our house and we had over 60 students within 1 month of opening. There is a market there for sure.

Now I know its late and you have had a few beers (I'm in France so its still early and I'm on tea tonight), however, I really wish you would just explain the package completely. Its all very well advertising on here, you know you are going to get it from all angles but please just answer peoples questions.

Why would I pay 50k for this package when I can pay less than half that amount for an Ed Visa including the same amount of 'lessons' ?

How much could someone expect to earn whilst staying in Thailand on the education visa with the Walen school?

That's the point you cannot work on an education visa. I have asked and asked and still no forthcoming answers. Almost as if Mac Walen doesn't know. But that could not be possible after 12 years in the profession. Mind you it has only really been the last 1-2 years where it has become more difficult getting said visa's and work permits.

Dear MacWalen,

I was thinking about visiting Bangkok this summer, while stuying some Thai at a school. I have visited the Walen School website before, because it was mentioned here somewhere. To be honest, I quite liked what I read there. (Even though I am looking for something more intensive.)

But now that I read some of your replies, I find most of your replies a bit condascending. Plus many replies sound as if they came from a car seller or one of these people trying to sell me a suit, even though I cleary said I am not interested. See these replies:

Walen ALS (accelerated learning system) is much faster than communicative methods. We can certainly teach faster, no doubt about that.

Or

It is a comprehensive ALS 120 lesson course which includes theory and practice lessons. After this course you will teach faster and also students will learn faster. It is a life long benefit. Some people here do not know what they are talking about or are belittling me, or try to be overly academic. What we teach works very very well and is worth the money. If someone has a budget to open a school they may even be able to start their own business. I am very confident in our ALS course. Perhaps the best investment you will ever make if you want to make teaching your career. You will be learning from one of the best paid teachers in Thailand. If you get good at ALS you will make very good money.

In my opinion this is not the best approach to win costumers, unless they are completly ignorant. Just a thought: if you are so convinced about your school, why don't you offer a refund if unsatisfied within - say - 2 weeks.

I personally don't have a problem with the fact that you are not a native English speaker.

Of course, I don't have a problem with that either. And as for teaching a foreign language, I strongly believe that a properly trained non-native teacher is better than a native teacher after a couple-of-weeks-teacher training course. Especially in a country where the majority of students never get past the pre-intermediate level...

R

I attended Walen to get a student visa and to learn Thai I spent about 8 months going to school for 6-8 hours a week. Did I learn to speak Thai? Nit noy.

I understand you are now helping farangs learn how to teach English so they can qualify to teach and get a work visa. Some questions.

1) Are there Walen schools that are now teaching English to Thais? What cities?

2) How much do the Thai's pay to learn English?

3) What's the student age? Kids or adults?

4) After I learn how to teach English (the Walen way!), Walen will guarentee me a job?

TIA!

how on earth can this guy talk about teaching, not to mention teacher training, if he has no respect for his potential students (a key quality for any teacher and fellow human alike...) sick.gif

and yes thaicbr, you're spot on. English is NOT his mother tongue.... tongue.png

R

How can you say such nonsense? I do not care about my students? You really don't know me or the culture of the Walen school at all. English is not my mother tongue. Do you have a problem with that? I speak it well enough though. I am having those interesting exchanges with you guys, who are mostly native speakers, and I can understand you perfectly well and I guess you understand me well enough too. Would that be yet another reason to dislike me? A guy who is not a native speaker runs an English school and is doing it well, how shocking? I have no problem with that. I did not choose the place I was born in, and indeed, till I was 19 I did not know a word of English. When I was 29 I opened an English school in Silom and that was an absolute hit. I could go on and on. Not being a native speaker was never much of a problem for me. So once again, it is true I am not a native English speaker, I also never said I was one. To make things more interesting, I am an Australian, but that is yet another interesting story -).

Being not myself, I was convince Australians where native English speaker thank you for correcting me whistling.gif ...

R

Being not myself, I was convince Australians where native English speaker thank you for correcting me whistling.gif ...

I assume that he was a refugee or immigrant. That would explain his statement.

Funny how he won't answer questions about the work permit. I guess he's preying on those who don't realise a work permit only allows you to work in a specific company at a specific address.

The guy is clearly someone I would never choose to do business with. Economical with the truth to say the least.

Well, you know better than me, so why do you ask? All things I say are true. I also have schools in many locations and new locations are being worked on so for those who are not too much of a pain in the neck Im happy to help and work with, those who have an attitude or whatever are not encouraged to apply. Some of you smart heads have me for an idiot and I don't really mind as I obviously don't give ....., It will be very funny if some of the worst critics will come to ask me for help one day. I just enjoyed a few games of pool and had a few drinks so forgive me for the casual tone. Also my inbox is full of applicants and had many calls today so your marketing obviously works guys. The worse the comments the better. So keep going. There must be polarisation between those who like Walen and those who do not like us so much. Those who decide to use our service will not be disappointed. These are the words of Mac Walen -)

I don't have you for an idiot and am very sure what you say is true. I'm just trying to figure out what use your work permit would be to me. I would like to convert a room in my house into a language studio, where I will shortly be living there is a huge demand for English taught by NES. My work permit would not allow me to do that, I'd be interested one that could.

I'm sceptical that the work permit you provide would be of much use, bit if you were to explain it we'd all know. So far you've said there may be work, but you do not answer questions on it.

I will admit that there are definitely some outstanding questions that have been asked here and gone unanswered. Bottom line, it appears at this stage, is he is selling a service packaged as a product. He will teach you to teach English to Thai students the same as other well known 1-2 week certification courses that are useless in Western Countries will do. They are designed to allow anyone interested in teaching English in a Third World country to teach not that Thailand is 3rd world, more or less maybe 2nd world.

This being said, he has not offered a job, guaranteed any future employment, listed anywhere in Thailand where his past students are working, given any salary data so one could understand their ROI (Return on Investment), etc. but he did say to PM him for further information. I think he has a great business plan here, he is doing nothing different than others selling TESL, TEFL, TESOL, ESL, EFL, ESOL - add to this list as you won't. Certification organizations don't generally guarantee anyone a job the same as a University/College degree doesn't guarantee anything. I congratulate the guy for coming up with something that people are willing to pay for provided that there are true services rendered that have positive results. He has claimed that there is so without further research into the matter one has to make up their own mind and stop trolling this guy to death. You want further information that is not being asked or answered here then send him a PM, post the results for everyone to see.

Bottom line, there is a lot of snake oil for sale everywhere and not just in Thailand BUT you can't know for sure if this is snake oil unless you do some research. Lastly, what appears to be snake oil to one person is liquid gold to another so again everyone is different, everyone's requirements vary. Isn't individuality a wonderful thing :)...

Anyway I digress here, good luck with your program.

• Like 1

Mr. Mac...

I think you must be the most hated man in Thailand, lol.... by reading these comments.

A few points... everyone knows that Walen School is a Visa School sooo people can stay in Thailand.

Give the guy a break.

I've met him personally and attended his class.

I think it is probally the WORST way to learn a language posible.

HOWEVER, I know people who go to the school and like it, lol.

They can READ very very well but have NO clue what they are reading or how to speak.

But as a business man myself... let me say I respect Mr Mac very much as a sales person.

He don't CARE what you guys say about him... he is still SELLING... he is a great marketer....

You know what you are paying for when you do business with him... you need a visa and he gets you a visa...

Sooo be it...

He is providing a Service that apparently a LOT of people are willing to pay for.

Wish I had a 100 sales reps like Mr. Mac selling for me, lol....

We all could be billionaires.

Good luck with your business Mr Mac.

Keep the Visa Mill Going my friend.....

Thank you for the kind words. Running a school has served me well so I must be doing at least something right. Wish you success with your business too!

At last. He admits his school is just a visa mill.

He has claimed that there is so without further research into the matter one has to make up their own mind and stop trolling this guy to death. You want further information that is not being asked or answered here then send him a PM, post the results for everyone to see.

I just read that you're not allowed to do that.

Forum Rules

20) Not to post personal messages from other members, whether in full or in part.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

so the obfuscation has no resolution in that regard

Edited by creekside

He's got an offering which may or may not be suitable for this audience, but no doubt will be useful to someone who see's value in it.

Has he found that someone yet?

I really don't care to be honest. This is business. He is putting an idea out there for something people might want. He's taking the risk and he'll live with the results. If I was a betting man thought that people who haven't posted here have quietly looked him up to see.

And all you blokes who have so intently tried to put him down, your participation in this thread has simply given his advertisment more oxygen, so that is counter productive from your perspective. Well done. :)

• Like 1

Mr MacWalen

From the beginning it seems to me that those who have strongly waved the red flag at you have been presuming that after your training they will be able to operate in Thai Govt Schools. I say this because my current understanding is that to work in a Thai Govt School one needs to have a licence.

1) If a private language school sends a letter to The Office of The Private Education Commission (O.P.E.C.)(http://www.opec.go.th) officially appointing that foreigner as a "person who engages in the act of teaching" (but NOT as a "Teacher") that foreigner does NOT have to have a teachers license.

The story in my mind is that one is trained to be a Walen Teacher and with regards to work that depends on if such work is available and presumably one is willing to be re-located.

My opinion is that you have found a way of foreigners wishing to stay in Thailand by being employed at your school. The certificate obtained is only valid in Walen Schools here and abroad.

You are not claiming anything that could be considered fradulent.

As another TV poster stated you are a damn good salesman.

I came to Thailand acquired my TESOL via TEFL International and had the fee waived as long as I taught in a Media Kids School, that was 2006. Now I have studied, passed the Krusupa examinations and acquired a 5 year teachers license.

I teach in a Thai Govt School and never ventured into the language school arena though I can see the vast market that is out there especially with 2015 and the A.E.C.

The Work Permit is specific to your school so there is nothing at all that you are doing which other posters have hinted or blasted about.

You wrote that you would look at each individual's application and if you cannot help them then not one baht you would charge.

It is a shame that once a thread is started and goes off at a tangent the mud slinging occurs.

Salaries are up to you that is between you as an employer and your employees

Congratulations on your future success

He's got an offering which may or may not be suitable for this audience, but no doubt will be useful to someone who see's value in it.

I really don't care to be honest. This is business. He is putting an idea out there for something people might want. He's taking the risk and he'll live with the results. If I was a betting man thought that people who haven't posted here have quietly looked him up to see.

And all you blokes who have so intently tried to put him down, your participation in this thread has simply given his advertisment more oxygen, so that is counter productive from your perspective. Well done. smile.png

I haven't tried to put him down at all, but indeed, it is a business. A visa mill business, to be precise, as confirmed by the owner in the preceding post.

If you consider his advertising that aspect is productive for him and his business, hats off to your ability to perceive it as such.

The workpermit you will get is only for a Walen school. You only get work at the Walen school.

You will not know how many teaching hours are available for you. The wage per hour is not mentioned by the OP.

So you get a workpermit but have no idea how much you will be earning, could be 8 hours a month for the Thai minimum wage.

A workpermit has no real value for most people if it isn't for a job with which earns you enough money to live on.

• Like 1

And all you blokes who have so intently tried to put him down, your participation in this thread has simply given his advertisment more oxygen, so that is counter productive from your perspective. Well done. smile.png

I haven't tried to put him down at all, but indeed, it is a business. A visa mill business, to be precise, as confirmed by the owner in the preceding post.

If you consider his advertising that aspect is productive for him and his business, hats off to your ability to perceive it as such.

Hey, it isn't working for google in some cool office somewhere, but he is offering a service which I think has definite audience/highly willing in Thailand.