Walen School - Teacher Training + One Year Thai Work Permit, 49,960 Baht

I find threads like this interesting.

We often get on Thai Visa the threads "What can I do in Thailand to make some money".

So we get here is the finished result, someone who has gone through that process, done well, perhaps stepped on some toes in the process (It happens, suck it up kiddies)...and what do we get?

Vitriol.

The bloke has an idea. Sets up a business.Takes a risk in a foreign country. People pay for his services. They continue to pay for his services. He's got an offering which may or may not be suitable for this audience, but no doubt will be useful to someone who see's value in it.

Vitriol.

There is no pleasing the punters here on TV today.

Samran,

I completely agree with your post above and your other posts. Jesus, Mac is offering something that may be attractive to some people, an opportunity for some people. He posts that opportunity in TV-- an expat forum-- and he gets a lot of crap for it. For those of you who do not think it's an opportunnity for you, may I suggest: Let it go. Don't condemn the man for setting up a system that might be helpful to others. About Mac not posting some info, e.g., salary or guaranteed job, he did say PM him if interested. Perhaps Mac prefers to have some info, e.g, salary if working at Whalen, not posted publicly.

Many expats are looking for some kind of work in Thialand, and Mac is perhaps offering an opportunity for some people.

By the way, I studied at Whaeln for about 1 year, and I also studies at Pro Language. Because Whalen gets you to learn Thai script, I believe it's a superior method than Pro Language, and I believe I learned more at Whalen. I know this doesn't speak to Mac's offer about teacher training for English teachers, but just wanted to mention this.

While Mac is offering something (the English teacher training) that he believes will make his company money, it just might also open doors for those who would like to teach English at one of his schools-- a win, win situation. If your not interested, move on. If you are, PM him.

JJ

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder how many will sign up for this deal ?

49,960 baht sounds like a lot of money to spend for a work permit which will be of little or no value!

At least the Thai language courses offer support in obtaining an ED visa

Any "teacher training" offered as part of this deal will carry no credibility outside the organisation in which the "training" is provided.

Sounds like a scam !

• Like 1

I attended Walen to get a student visa and to learn Thai I spent about 8 months going to school for 6-8 hours a week. Did I learn to speak Thai? Nit noy.

I understand you are now helping farangs learn how to teach English so they can qualify to teach and get a work visa. Some questions.

1) Are there Walen schools that are now teaching English to Thais? What cities?

2) How much do the Thai's pay to learn English?

3) What's the student age? Kids or adults?

4) After I learn how to teach English (the Walen way!), Walen will guarentee me a job?

TIA!

1. We teach English in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phuket and Samui and we are getting more and more students, we also teach online and that segment of our business is also growing. We will be starting next month working on our Hua Hin school, and shortly after on schools in Lampang and Korat.

2. You can check prices on www.thaiwalen.com but the best offer is 24,960 baht for 120 lessons, with some breaks it takes about a year to finish this course.

3. Mostly teenagers and adults but we are also looking at teaching children.

4. I do not guarantee a job but there is a good chance of getting one. One will certainly be able to get a lot of private lessons as people like our teaching system very much.

Edited by MacWalen

tell this the thai teachers, they need training !!!

I give guarantee on my work, if you believe a lesson was not worth your money then tell us after the lesson and we will investigate. You will be given an extra lesson without charge. Every effort is made to provide good quality lessons.

Edited by MacWalen

kkkbkk, on 24 May 2013 - 00:38, said:

arrogance arrogance arrogance w00t.gif

how on earth can this guy talk about teaching, not to mention teacher training, if he has no respect for his potential students (a key quality for any teacher and fellow human alike...) sick.gif

This man is obsessed with making money and couldn't care less about his students ( I mean customers who have no idea they're being ripped off..)

and yes thaicbr, you're spot on. English is NOT his mother tongue.... tongue.png

R

How can you say such nonsense? I do not care about my students? You really don't know me or the culture of the Walen school at all. English is not my mother tongue. Do you have a problem with that? I speak it well enough though. I am having those interesting exchanges with you guys, who are mostly native speakers, and I can understand you perfectly well and I guess you understand me well enough too. Would that be yet another reason to dislike me? A guy who is not a native speaker runs an English school and is doing it well, how shocking? I have no problem with that. I did not choose the place I was born in, and indeed, till I was 19 I did not know a word of English. When I was 29 I opened an English school in Silom and that was an absolute hit. I could go on and on. Not being a native speaker was never much of a problem for me. So once again, it is true I am not a native English speaker, I also never said I was one. To make things more interesting, I am an Australian, but that is yet another interesting story -).

Being not myself, I was convince Australians where native English speaker thank you for correcting me whistling.gif ...

YES! Australians certainly are native English speakers, however if you take the time to read back, you will see that this Aussie (Walen) could not speak English until he was 19, so to me its obvious that he migrated to that country. whistling.gif

samran, on 24 May 2013 - 05:37, said:

We often get on Thai Visa the threads "What can I do in Thailand to make some money".

So we get here is the finished result, someone who has gone through that process, done well, perhaps stepped on some toes in the process (It happens, suck it up kiddies)...and what do we get?

Vitriol.

The bloke has an idea. Sets up a business.Takes a risk in a foreign country. People pay for his services. They continue to pay for his services. He's got an offering which may or may not be suitable for this audience, but no doubt will be useful to someone who see's value in it.

Vitriol.

Samran, I think you misunderstood a number of posters and their reasoning.

There is absolutely no doubt that he is a good businessman and a marketer, HOWEVER the product he sells is basically "crap" ONLY he keeps claiming it to be top notch.

Every single thread about that school attracts huge amounts of negative comments, and hardly ever positive comments.

He throws around words like guarantee and so on, which are nothing but words.

Personally i went to school for 180 hours or something like that. I did it to learn Thai and was very very dissatisfied.

Made my feelings known to him personally and his staff and was basically laughed at.

He claims to have great teachers, in reality in Pattaya Branch, he only had 1 who you would call a teacher, the rest were ex bar girls(despite him claiming otherwise)

He claims to be very successful and making millions, and yet he pays minimum salary to teachers and is always short on teachers.

He claims to have huge success with teaching and people learning, and yet a quick google search shows otherwise.

His offer now while appears to be somewhat useful is also somewhat illegal and he has been very elusive in answering any questions.

Every time somewhat posts anything negative about their experience with his school, he labels people haters or jealous or have some personal grudge.

Well, i am not jealous, not a hater and could not care less about him personally so i do not hold any grudge, HOWEVER i attended his school and was not satisfied at all with method, teachers, principal or way he handled his business.

Is it too much to ask from a school to have skilled teacher? who is actually educated and can read?

Is it too much to ask from school to teach Thai, instead of Isaan?

Is it too much to ask to have teacher correct your tones, your spelling?

Not once and i mean not even once on any threads he acknowledges that perhaps method does not work for all people or that some of his teachers are not as great as he claims.

He keeps claiming to have great teachers and yet they change monthly

He claims to have great method and yet people hardly pick up any Thai(enough evidence of that)

He claims to guarantee it and yet refuses to honor it.

Lets call spade a spade, it is visa factory facility and that is all it is.

As i have said many times, i can not comment on other branches, but Pattaya is nothing but Visa factory, he could always acknowledge that and no doubt will be under much less attacks.

Fair is fair. Well argued. Two sides to every story. As always, buyer beware. But it sounds like he is serving a market and as long as he isn't doing anything illegal, then its hard to stand for criticism that doesn't come from first hand experience.

MacWalen, on 24 May 2013 - 13:10, said:

aechzen, on 24 May 2013 - 09:25, said:

tell this the thai teachers, they need training !!!

I give guarantee on my work, if you believe a lesson was not worth your money then tell us after the lesson and we will investigate. You will be given an extra lesson without charge. Every effort is made to provide good quality lessons.
Please elaborate on methods used to ensure quality?

I have attended your school and not once you sat in on the class

I have made complains about teachers and nothing was done or investigated

I have complained to you and was offered a couple of free lessons after doing 180 or so???, you call that a guarantee?

Edited by lemoncake

Vitriol.

Vitriol.

There is absolutely no doubt that he is a good businessman and a marketer, HOWEVER the product he sells is basically "crap" ONLY he keeps claiming it to be top notch.

Every single thread about that school attracts huge amounts of negative comments, and hardly ever positive comments.

Personally i went to school for 180 hours or something like that. I did it to learn Thai and was very very dissatisfied.

Made my feelings known to him personally and his staff and was basically laughed at.

He claims to have great teachers, in reality in Pattaya Branch, he only had 1 who you would call a teacher, the rest were ex bar girls(despite him claiming otherwise)

He claims to be very successful and making millions, and yet he pays minimum salary to teachers and is always short on teachers.

He claims to have huge success with teaching and people learning, and yet a quick google search shows otherwise.

His offer now while appears to be somewhat useful is also somewhat illegal and he has been very elusive in answering any questions.

Every time somewhat posts anything negative about their experience with his school, he labels people haters or jealous or have some personal grudge.

Well, i am not jealous, not a hater and could not care less about him personally so i do not hold any grudge, HOWEVER i attended his school and was not satisfied at all with method, teachers, principal or way he handled his business.

Is it too much to ask from a school to have skilled teacher? who is actually educated and can read?

Not once and i mean not even once on any threads he acknowledges that perhaps method does not work for all people or that some of his teachers are not as great as he claims.

He claims to have great method and yet people hardly pick up any Thai(enough evidence of that)

As i have said many times, i can not comment on other branches, but Pattaya is nothing but Visa factory, he could always acknowledge that and no doubt will be under much less attacks.

lemoncake, you are not employed by Walen Pattaya so you cannot possibly know the internal workings of our school, you make false statements on a regular basis. You think you know something but you really don't know, just perhaps think you know. And you are certainly a Walen hater, people can read your previous posts, it is always negative and derogatory.

Pattaya school is a super profitable business and busy from morning till night. We had to build more classrooms on the top floor to accommodate growing number of students. Just because you were not happy, does not mean others are not happy. You keep mentioning bar girls, etc. Maybe that is the other way round. Perhaps you made some advances on some of my pretty teachers and got nowhere and the feeling of rejection makes you so nasty now? Who knows. It is easy to hide behind a keyboard. I have no idea who you are but peace to you. Perhaps best is not to participate in thread related to Walen as making false statements is not a nice thing to do.

I have to say one thing. I do not see any posts from ex students of WALEN school here which are condemning their course or in fact McWalen himself. So in spite of all the 'TV Knockers' he has got to be out front. So keep trying boys, way i see it .... TV knockers 0 v Walen 1.

Should say, i do not think i should take much notice of lemoncake who it appears has a personal 'axe to grind'

I am not a supporter of Walen, just like to see some reasonable commonsense practised.

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 2

I attended Walen to get a student visa and to learn Thai I spent about 8 months going to school for 6-8 hours a week. Did I learn to speak Thai? Nit noy.

I understand you are now helping farangs learn how to teach English so they can qualify to teach and get a work visa. Some questions.

1) Are there Walen schools that are now teaching English to Thais? What cities?

2) How much do the Thai's pay to learn English?

3) What's the student age? Kids or adults?

4) After I learn how to teach English (the Walen way!), Walen will guarentee me a job?

TIA!

1. We teach English in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phuket and Samui and we are getting more and more students, we also teach online and that segment of our business is also growing. We will be starting next month working on our Hua Hin school, and shortly after on schools in Lampang and Korat.

2. You can check prices on www.thaiwalen.com but the best offer is 24,960 baht for 120 lessons, with some breaks it takes about a year to finish this course.

3. Mostly teenagers and adults but we are also looking at teaching children.

4. I do not guarantee a job but there is a good chance of getting one. One will certainly be able to get a lot of private lessons as people like our teaching system very much.

No.4 You can't teach private lesson legally if the work permit is only applicable to Walen schools.

So really no different to an Ed visa scheme !!

Great business man but not very transparent in his dealings...

I have to say one thing. I do not see any posts from ex students of WALEN school here which are condemning their course or in fact McWalen himself. So in spite of all the 'TV Knockers' he has got to be out front. So keep trying boys, way i see it .... TV knockers 0 v Walen 1.

Should say, i do not think i should take much notice of lemoncake who it appears has a personal 'axe to grind'

I am not a supporter of Walen, just like to see some reasonable commonsense practised.

One could also say that there aren't that many (if any?) that have endorsed it either.................wink.png

I have read the questions (not necessarily 'knocks') that have been asked and the avoiding actions taken in the replies. All this does is increase the suspicious/cautious minded of us.

Edit: In addition to the above, referring to lemoncake, I did not detect much in his post that pointed to someone with an axe to grind, in fact some of his points, through personal experience, should be viewed. One sided arguments aren't really arguments are they?

Perhaps you were getting confused by the OP's comments on

"Perhaps you made some advances on some of my pretty teachers.........."

or the veiled threat of

"Perhaps best is not to participate in thread related to Walen as making false statements............".

Intelligent, but childish reply from a professional on an open forum.

Obviously IMHO...................thumbsup.gif

Edited by chrisinth

Vitriol.

Vitriol.

lemoncake, you are not employed by Walen Pattaya so you cannot possibly know the internal workings of our school, you make false statements on a regular basis. You think you know something but you really don't know, just perhaps think you know. And you are certainly a Walen hater, people can read your previous posts, it is always negative and derogatory.

Pattaya school is a super profitable business and busy from morning till night. We had to build more classrooms on the top floor to accommodate growing number of students. Just because you were not happy, does not mean others are not happy. You keep mentioning bar girls, etc. Maybe that is the other way round. Perhaps you made some advances on some of my pretty teachers and got nowhere and the feeling of rejection makes you so nasty now? Who knows. It is easy to hide behind a keyboard. I have no idea who you are but peace to you. Perhaps best is not to participate in thread related to Walen as making false statements is not a nice thing to do.

And here you go, nothing more needs to be said

I do not need to work for your school to see bar girls being teachers.

I only need to see them working in the bars to know they are bar girls

Your profitability has nothing to do with quality, again being a visa factory does not make you into a good school, it makes you a visa factory.

With all the profits you claim to make, why can you not pay more to get better teachers? why do teachers leave you so often?

DO you honestly believe a 20 year old is qualified to be a teacher?

The sooner you stop with your nonsense the sooner you will be under less attacks.

As for not posting on Wallen threads, well sorry to tell you, but people who actually want to learn Thai should be aware that they will not learn any and your guarantees are not worth the paper its written on.

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

I suggest you do a little search and then try to find ex students with positive comments about actual learning.

I could not care less about the guy, but when someone comes on to the public forum and continues to make false statements, potential students should be made aware that its nothing but talk.

If you buy a car with 3 year warranty that claims to use xxx of gas go xxx fast, but turns out it used 10 times the gas and 10 times slower, you take it back? or you keep on riding it?

Please show me one and i mean one thread or a comment where Wallen accepted any of the negative comments? Please just one?

Mr. Mac...

I think you must be the most hated man in Thailand, lol.... by reading these comments.

A few points... everyone knows that Walen School is a Visa School sooo people can stay in Thailand.

Give the guy a break.

I've met him personally and attended his class.

I think it is probally the WORST way to learn a language posible.

HOWEVER, I know people who go to the school and like it, lol.

They can READ very very well but have NO clue what they are reading or how to speak.

But as a business man myself... let me say I respect Mr Mac very much as a sales person.

He don't CARE what you guys say about him... he is still SELLING... he is a great marketer....

You know what you are paying for when you do business with him... you need a visa and he gets you a visa...

Sooo be it...

He is providing a Service that apparently a LOT of people are willing to pay for.

Wish I had a 100 sales reps like Mr. Mac selling for me, lol....

We all could be billionaires.

Good luck with your business Mr Mac.

Keep the Visa Mill Going my friend.....

Thank you for the kind words. Running a school has served me well so I must be doing at least something right. Wish you success with your business too!

Wow ... you saw 'kind words' in that?? You need to either clean those reading glasses or deflate that ego a bit....

• Like 1

Mr MacWalen

From the beginning it seems to me that those who have strongly waved the red flag at you have been presuming that after your training they will be able to operate in Thai Govt Schools. I say this because my current understanding is that to work in a Thai Govt School one needs to have a licence.

1) If a private language school   sends a letter to The Office of The Private Education Commission (O.P.E.C.)() officially appointing that foreigner as a "person who engages in the act of teaching" (but NOT as a "Teacher") that foreigner does NOT have to have a teachers license.

The story in my mind is that one is trained to be a Walen Teacher and with regards to work that depends on if such work is available and presumably one is willing to be re-located.

My opinion is that you have found a way of foreigners wishing to stay in Thailand by being employed at your school. The certificate obtained is only valid in Walen Schools here and abroad.

You are not claiming anything that could be considered fradulent.

As another TV poster stated you are a damn good salesman.

I came to Thailand acquired my TESOL via TEFL International and had the fee waived as long as I taught in a Media Kids School, that was 2006. Now I have studied, passed the Krusupa examinations and acquired a 5 year teachers license.

I teach in a Thai Govt School and never ventured into the language school arena though I can see the vast market that is out there especially with 2015 and the A.E.C.

The Work Permit is specific to your school so there is nothing at all that you are doing which other posters have hinted or blasted about.

You wrote that you would look at each individual's application and if you cannot help them then not one baht you would charge.

It is a shame that once a thread is started and goes off at a tangent the mud slinging occurs.

Salaries are up to you that is between you as an employer and your employees

Congratulations on your future success

Gerry. It's good that you answered for Mac Walen. But are you actually sure that is correct.

Is Mac Walen registered as a school or business.

It makes a huge difference.

I personally have NEVER heard of any one in the last 12-18 months getting away with that.

This is were Mr Mac could chime in to confirm.

I have no problem in a company selling a product as long as its all above board.

Teacher's get screwed enough here by agencies and language schools.

I do still find it strange that the teacher is paying for their training.

Possibly that's the reason I keep asking the questions that don't get answers :)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Atyclb, yes, students will learn faster. Guaranteed.

So, can you give us that list I asked for ??

Maybe you missed my post above !!

It is a comprehensive ALS 120 lesson course which includes theory and practice lessons. After this course you will teach faster and also students will learn faster. It is a life long benefit. Some people here do not know what they are talking about or are belittling me, or try to be overly academic. What we teach works very very well and is worth the money. If someone has a budget to open a school they may even be able to start their own business. I am very confident in our ALS course. Perhaps the best investment you will ever make if you want to make teaching your career. You will be learning from one of the best paid teachers in Thailand. If you get good at ALS you will make very good money.

Excuse me but how do you account for the fact that if you type “Walen Scam Thai Language School in Thailand “ into google you are provided with a thread in which many contributors contradict a lot of what you have said? Edited by Asiantravel

All this waffle about the wallen method is just that. The teacher is the most important element in learning Thai and I was not very impressed with the ones at Times sq. I'd like to ask how much they get paid? maybe has something to do with it. I leaned far more with a teacher I found by myself. Wallen is OK if you are desperate for a visa, but I think there are better and cheaper ways to learn Thai.

As I have stated before in this thread, I do not see the need for any potential English language teacher to pay for a teaching certificate from Walen when teaching jobs are so abundant. If I were a teacher starting out, most likely I would get my teaching certificate for a more widely accepted method of teaching e.g TEFL, TESOL as this is what most schools are looking for. I must say however that I am amazed at how vitriolic this thread has become. My thoughts are that the owner of Walen is a good businessman, he has successfully identified market opportunities and that we are all jealous of his success, choosing his thread as an opportunity to act out on this jealousy. I want to commend the owner of Walen for not sinking to this level when responding to the criticism on this thread. His professionalism and willingness to go toe-to-toe in a courteous manner has won me over. And no I do not know the owner as some people will be quick to suggest.

You could say the owner of Amway is 'a good businessman' does not mean the product is not poor and overpriced and that perhaps people are being mis sold. Some businesses are little more than scams however successful they might be.I am not so impressed with the owner of Wallen as he has refused to answer important questions.

Edited by sms747

Atyclb, yes, students will learn faster. Guaranteed.

So, can you give us that list I asked for ??

Maybe you missed my post above !!

It is a comprehensive ALS 120 lesson course which includes theory and practice lessons. After this course you will teach faster and also students will learn faster. It is a life long benefit. Some people here do not know what they are talking about or are belittling me, or try to be overly academic. What we teach works very very well and is worth the money. If someone has a budget to open a school they may even be able to start their own business. I am very confident in our ALS course. Perhaps the best investment you will ever make if you want to make teaching your career. You will be learning from one of the best paid teachers in Thailand. If you get good at ALS you will make very good money.

Excuse me but how do you account for the fact that if you type “Walen Scam Thai Language School in Thailand “ into google you are provided with a thread in which many contributors contradict a lot of what you have said?

Asiantravel, Hater's posts only, it is not a secret that some people do not like me, that thread has been discredited long time ago. We offer free demo lessons, you can come and see how we teach without paying any money. Also there are always lots of students around, you are welcome to talk to them and get first hand reports. People can write anything on the internet. If you want to believe this it is up to you.

Edited by MacWalen