Thai Police Say They Know Identities Of Central World Arson Suspects

webfact

2010 POLITICAL VIOLENCE
Police say they know identities of Central World arson suspects

Patinya Iamtan
The Nation

30206757-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police are gathering evidence in support of arrest warrants for two suspected arsonists and six alleged accomplices in relation to the Central World Mall fire during the 2010 riots.

Following a meeting yesterday to discuss the progress of the Central World arson probe, Metropolitan Police chief Khamronwit Thoopkrajang said investigators had identified two suspected arsonists from photographs and video footage.

Khamronwit said police could not release the suspects' names, but they were among those for whom the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) sought arrest warrants. He added that police had identified six suspected accomplices of the accused arsonists, and would summon them as well. If they refused, police would provide evidence to support the issuance of arrest warrants for them too. He said police had 20 other witnesses to interview.

Khamronwit urged the public to provide information that could help confirm the two suspected arsonists' identity via the city police's investigation centre's telephone number - (02) 354 8226 - around the clock and affirmed there would be a reward for providers of key information. Asked if the reward was posted by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who had earlier offered a Bt10 million reward for key information, or from the Metropolitan Police budget, Khamronwit said that matter would be discussed later.

Khamronwit said the investigators also looked into the delay of fire-engine access to the arson scene and would take time to gather information to ensure justice for all sides.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-23

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Khamronwit said police could not release the suspects' names...

...Khamronwit urged the public to provide information that could help confirm the two suspected arsonists' identity...

They know, but can't tell, and want help identifying them...

So they're not very sure, are they. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

2 suspects in Central World blaze identified
By English News

13692747666831.jpg

BANGKOK, May 23 – Thai police have released the photos of two men who allegedly set fire to the Central World shopping complex during the 2010 political protests in the heart of Bangkok.

Metropolitan police commander Kamronwit Thoopkrachang said the identities of the two suspects were similar to six persons given by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI).

He urged other suspects who were seen in the photos to give themselves up to the authorities, or the DSI will issue warrants for their arrest.

Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit said the six men were involved in an arson which damaged the Central World complex at Rajprasong intersection – one of Bangkok’s busiest shopping centres.

He said police were compiling evidence to charge at least 20 more people for their implications in the arson. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-23

2 suspects in Central World blaze identified

By English News

13692747666831.jpg

BANGKOK, May 23 – Thai police have released the photos of two men who allegedly set fire to the Central World shopping complex during the 2010 political protests in the heart of Bangkok.

Metropolitan police commander Kamronwit Thoopkrachang said the identities of the two suspects were similar to six persons given by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI).

He urged other suspects who were seen in the photos to give themselves up to the authorities, or the DSI will issue warrants for their arrest.

Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit said the six men were involved in an arson which damaged the Central World complex at Rajprasong intersection – one of Bangkok’s busiest shopping centres.

He said police were compiling evidence to charge at least 20 more people for their implications in the arson. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-05-23

"He urged other suspects who were seen in the photos to give themselves up to the authorities, or the DSI will issue warrants for their arrest."

Let's hope they provide a photo of these men to border checkpoints. Not holding my breath though, if they catch them and squeal (not that I think it likely that they'd be thoroughly interrogated) they may point fingers at the people that organized and incited the burnings. Then again, it's nice to have parliamentary immunity.

With a reward of 10 million baht for 'information', there are many people in this country that would swear it was their own Grandmother that torched Central World, in fact if it means the accused is locked up for life I can swear it was my Mother In Law for no reward at all.

I await with eager anticipation the photoshopped photos of Abhisit and Suthep smiling at the security camera whilst holding military grade flamethrowers, holding a piece of paper which when you zoom in clearly says "Abby and Sutty Top Secret Plan for burning down a shopping Mall". With that DSI will have enough to put them away for 25 years, or at least have 25 years of half day court hearings in between Parliamentary sessions.

Edited to add: As the link to the paper that cannot be mentioned will disappear in nano seconds, it seems true then. Thaksin has offered 10 million baht for EACH convicted arsonist!!! They will be dragging homeless retards of the street and charging them by this time next week. Watch the bunfight for that money now!

Edited by GentlemanJim

Regarding arson and the 2010 riots- red shirt supporters were found guilty by all 3 courts of setting fire to Ubon Ratchatani's provincial hall. Thaksin had urged his followers to surround provincial halls.Cases regarding other provincial halls are progressing and the suspects are certainly red shirt supporters..

Edited by Siripon

I still don't get it. Most probably they have found some dispensable people who they can put the blame on and then??

How to proof whether they where Reds, Men in black, the army or Abhisit’s gardeners?

Let's wait for following statement from DPM (and Thaksin's best buddy) Chalerm:

" I am proud to announce that we have found the people responsible for
burning down central world. I can tell you with 100% certainty that they

are not linked to the Red Shirt movement...... Thank you and have a
nice day"

Edited by Nickymaster

Someone help me out here !

I thought that there had already been a trial for the arson at Central World and the 2 defendants had been found not guilty by a Thai Court ?

It seems there were more than 2 people around that day.

He said police were compiling evidence to charge at least 20 more people for their implications in the arson.

>...Khamronwit said police could not release the suspects' names...

...Khamronwit urged the public to provide information that could help confirm the two suspected arsonists' identity...

They know, but can't tell, and want help identifying them...

So they're not very sure, are they. rolleyes.gif

And if they know 'as they claim' what the <deleted> are they doing about it?

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing Thai police take over 3 years to get to an... almost, sort-of, maybe conclusion on possible but not confirmed possible suspects.

Whereas a real police force such as in the USA (Or almost any other country in the world) can catch suspects and have them before a judge within a week, Boston bombers for a example.

"Toyland the greatest joke on the planet" & the hub of incompetence for everything. cheesy.gif

I have lived in Thailand for 30 years and it really is like living amongst over grown children.

Now don't you all get on your high horses and stat telling me to go home etc... because I happen enjoy living here despite its inadequacies, and its easy doing business dealing with grown up kids is a no brainer and so easy to do well, as there is almost no competition in lots of areas. wai.gif

• Like 2

Two comments;

1. If the accusers are from the RED group then the arsonists are Democrat. If the accusers are Democrat then the arsonists are from the RED group. Same story different day.

2. If, and I say if I had any info for police and Taksin gave me a reward, I would give it to a private school in my area. The Thai ones are just to corrupt. If I knew Taksin offered the reward I would not call the hotline.....................................

Someone help me out here !

I thought that there had already been a trial for the arson at Central World and the 2 defendants had been found not guilty by a Thai Court ?

You're right, LSM... Just a couple months ago they had the verdict...and the two guys, both Red shirt types, got off... And the charges they faced were the burning of CentralWorld...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628449-thai-court-acquits-two-red-shirts-of-torching-central-world-mall/?hl=%2Bcentral+%2Bworld+%2Barson+%2Bacquitted#entry6238782

Pretty odd the crappy news report OP here seems to make no mention of that, or how these new suspects relate to the old ones.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1