What Cost To Own A Car For Infrequent Use?

I am looking to buy a car so I don't have to rely on wife's family when I come to Thailand 6 weeks a year ( for now and later will spend more time there )

I have built a small house in the village in Korat and 36Kms to town so need transport as waiting on family takes all day for a 20 minute job and frustrates the hell out of me ...

I am looking to pay about 200,000 bht and get a KIA Sportage or ISUZU station wagon or similar....

So what would my insurance and tax cost a year ( or can it be paid by the 1/4 = 3 months at a time ) ...

violin.gif cheers....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ....

Maybe looking at a 2.5 diesel ...

3rd party sounds OK but what about the cost of TAX ?

I see renting as throwing money away ... sad.png ... I don't think I could rent a car for 6 weeks for less than a years Tax and Insurance?

Family using the car is OUT of the question as the whole exercise is to get as independent as possible because I keep finding hands in my pocket that are not mine every time I turn around.annoyed.gif

• Like 1

As said, annual registration and compulsory insurance are really quite cheap (2000-3000 baht a year), but I think IDL has brought up the biggest concern -- leaving it sitting idle for 46 weeks each year. That isn't a good idea. He's also right about not getting much for 200K.

I assume that you've thought of buying or renting a scooter (Wave 110, etc.). If using one of those is possible, that would certainly be a practical approach.

I didn't expect to be advised about the maintenance and upkeep ... all I asked was what would it cost to Tax & 3rd party Insure and what options there ...

I am happy you seem so concerned to consider me stupid but I have always maintained and worked on my own vehicles for 50 years since I started driving ... we do that in the country in Oz ...

Let me bother about the choice of vehicle and what it needs for moth-balling it for 11 months ......

Or if anyone knows where I can hire a car for 6 weeks that would be comparable ..... I think not ...

Please just give me a ball-park figure as to what the cost of Tax & Insurance would be on say a 2.5ltr diesel ???

I didn't expect to be advised about the maintenance and upkeep ... all I asked was what would it cost to Tax & 3rd party Insure and what options there ...

I am happy you seem so concerned to consider me stupid but I have always maintained and worked on my own vehicles for 50 years since I started driving ... we do that in the country in Oz ...

Let me bother about the choice of vehicle and what it needs for moth-balling it for 11 months ......

Or if anyone knows where I can hire a car for 6 weeks that would be comparable ..... I think not ...

Please just give me a ball-park figure as to what the cost of Tax & Insurance would be on say a 2.5ltr diesel ???

Did you read post #5?

• Like 2

Assuming 2 door pickup more than 10 years old, tax 900bht, gov. min. insurance 900bht.

Double those for any type of 4 door.

• Like 1

Thanks ....

Maybe looking at a 2.5 diesel ...

3rd party sounds OK but what about the cost of TAX ?

I see renting as throwing money away ... sad.png ... I don't think I could rent a car for 6 weeks for less than a years Tax and Insurance?

Family using the car is OUT of the question as the whole exercise is to get as independent as possible because I keep finding hands in my pocket that are not mine every time I turn around.annoyed.gif

You say that family using the car is out of the question, but you might find that the question is never actually asked :)

My wife has suggested a similar thing. I buy a pick-up, it sits on our driveway waiting for me to come and visit.

In the meantime, my nephew and his mates treat it like they do our Fino, as in they can just rock up and take the keys.

The Fino is one thing, but there's absolutely no way on this earth that I'm buying them a pick-up to play with!

They're nice guys and all that, but if they bend it, they can't mend it, so it would say bent, like my wallet!

If I want wheels when I'm there, I rent them, or take the bus. Yes, renting wheels is, in a way, throwing money away, but so is buying a 15 year old pick-up and leaving it to either rot on the driveway or get wrapped around something while someone else drives it like it's not theirs!

The topic of your thread is "What cost to own a car with infrequent use?" - the posters replying citing maintenance costs you don't seem to have considered are just trying to help.

• Like 2

Assuming 2 door pickup more than 10 years old, tax 900bht, gov. min. insurance 900bht.

Double those for any type of 4 door.

Thank you for that info as it is what I need to know.

And to all the others thank you as well as I have learned a lot from you all. 5

not interested in maintenance costs...... now a guy in my Village did the same, he bought plastic, drove the car onto the plastic, covered the wheels, covered the car in blankets then folded up the plastic and tied on the top..

Returning 10 months later, sadly did very little all this, and a lot of the wiring and been eaten in the engine bay, even behind the dash, seats were nests, over run with rats/mice, sure many of these were eaten as also a family of snakes had made it home.......... he's 300,000 baht car was worth nothing, and he still had nothing to drive on his return..

for past 2 years on his return appears to just use a Taxi, say will buy when they live here full time.

Maybe not spend so much ? buy a old running banger you see them about for 30 - 40,000 baht, if still good when you come back fine if not then would have cost the same as a Hire car, so lost nothing..

• Like 1

not interested in maintenance costs...... now a guy in my Village did the same, he bought plastic, drove the car onto the plastic, covered the wheels, covered the car in blankets then folded up the plastic and tied on the top..

Returning 10 months later, sadly did very little all this, and a lot of the wiring and been eaten in the engine bay, even behind the dash, seats were nests, over run with rats/mice, sure many of these were eaten as also a family of snakes had made it home.......... he's 300,000 baht car was worth nothing, and he still had nothing to drive on his return..

for past 2 years on his return appears to just use a Taxi, say will buy when they live here full time.

Maybe not spend so much ? buy a old running banger you see them about for 30 - 40,000 baht, if still good when you come back fine if not then would have cost the same as a Hire car, so lost nothing..

Hiring a small car for 6 weeks will cost 30-40k from one of the big names, significantly less from the local Rent-A-Wreck outfit.

Your 200k that you intend spending on a car will last 5 years of renting, will a 200k car last that long left stood for 46 of 52 weeks per year, I doubt it.

Seriously, renting has to be the way to go.

I appreciate the replies .... as I said this trip will be 6 weeks and other trips will be more frequent and longer durations .... In 4 years I will be spending more than 6 months of the year in Thailand ( much to the disappointment I am sure for some of the members here .... Som Nom Na )

Have a property in a village near Sikhiu and another in the Buriram province so need to travel and carry equipment / luggage / supplies ....

I have made arrangements for a 20' container for car and tools so can't see a vermin ( including rodents ) problem ...

thumbsup.gif

In 4 years I will be spending more than 6 months of the year in Thailand ( much to the disappointment I am sure for some of the members here .... Som Nom Na )

Well your posting style doesn't seem to have won you many friends here, but I'm not fazed by it :)

Still, I can't see how "Som Nom Nar" applies to anyone here but you tongue.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

Hi maybe the answer could be to purchase a tuk tuk 660cc 3 cylinder Dihatsu from Mukdahan, not to costly, I own one here in Pattaya, have carried in exess of a ton in the back many times, good mpg, insurance 600 baht per year, no road tax, maintenance very cheap.

The only issues are, no number plate, class 3 insurance not available, in 4 years have only ever been stopped twice for no number 200 Baht each time, have driven to Sattahip, Chonburi and Bang Na Bangkok on many occasions, this machine has paid for itself many times over.

Tom

• Like 1