Anyone Using Cat For Internet?

Fiddlesticks

I am moving North of the city in the area of Mae Fa Luang Uni and will be looking for a "good" internet service. Sounds like my choices are TOT with what appears to be a slow line speed or CAT with either broadband or fiber-optic lines. So it looks like CAT is the only really viable option. So my question is this, does anyone have experience with either the CAT broadband (regular or premier service) or with their fiber-optic service? The girl at the mall was trying to convince me that the broadband premier service with 7Mbps download speed was actually faster than the fiber-optic service with a 20Mbps download speed due to the high usage of the latter!!!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

7mbps being faster than the 20mbps is possible although I wouldn't have thought that likely if the 20mbs is fibre optic however, if there is one thing Thai internet companies are good at it, it is over-selling and over-loading connections.

I use TOT fibre optic and whilst I can't categorically state that I always get what I pay for, it does seem to be virtually always capable of delivering whatever I ask of it.

• Like 1

7mbps being faster than the 20mbps is possible although I wouldn't have thought that likely if the 20mbs is fibre optic however, if there is one thing Thai internet companies are good at it, it is over-selling and over-loading connections.

I use TOT fibre optic and whilst I can't categorically state that I always get what I pay for, it does seem to be virtually always capable of delivering whatever I ask of it.

Thank you for your reply Paul888. This is what I am afraid of, that CAT must really be over-loading their fiber-optic network if a 20Mbps fiber optic line has worse response than a 7Mbps broadband line! Somehow it is hard to image that a 1,500 baht per month fiber optic subscription could be that overloaded. I could understand if it was maybe 500 baht per month.

Anyway, I hope maybe some TV'ers have some experience with the CAT network here in CR.

Just a thought but its possible that the university uses the same fibre optic connection for all of the students there ? Does the service decrease in school hours ?

Not really sure. Trying to get good info from the kids that work in the sales offices is an exercise in futility. You raise a good point however.

It appears that CAT is not a popular service with our TV readers. I guess I will try the broadband to start and if response time is poor I can try upgrading and hope that, at some reasonable cost, I can get acceptable response times.

Sunholidaysun1, thank you for your reply. Hopefully I will have a good report in about a weeks time. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Hi , Yes I have CAT, Where I live There were no telephone lines when I moved here .So I started with a cat dongle and upgraded every time CAT had somthing new. now have a microwave link, (small dish aprox 20 cm dia on a thin 10 m pole aimed at the nearest cat tower about 6 km away). Was ofered a choice of speeds and prices chose one on special offer by no meens the fastested 7.5 mb@631bhat inc vat per month bandwidth test show it meet its promise but of course never get that on a download ,however it is quite fast and I can stream video and tv. aerial cost 8000 with the pole and router with 4 outlets all used and wi fi .I would recomed this

Hi , Yes I have CAT, Where I live There were no telephone lines when I moved here .So I started with a cat dongle and upgraded every time CAT had somthing new. now have a microwave link, (small dish aprox 20 cm dia on a thin 10 m pole aimed at the nearest cat tower about 6 km away). Was ofered a choice of speeds and prices chose one on special offer by no meens the fastested 7.5 mb@631bhat inc vat per month bandwidth test show it meet its promise but of course never get that on a download ,however it is quite fast and I can stream video and tv. aerial cost 8000 with the pole and router with 4 outlets all used and wi fi .I would recomed this

Hi derekwyoung. Thank you for the information. I feel a little more comfortable with my decision now. Unfortunately, I will not know how well it works for a couple more weeks yet since there seems to be a lengthy queue for installation.

Hopefully you will become a more regular poster, here on the forum, after you get your internet sorted.smile.png

I have 22 postings now . . .

but who counts!!!!

Three topics, 22 posts, 307 profile views and 17 likes, all since December of last year. Your right, who counts.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Hopefully you will become a more regular poster, here on the forum, after you get your internet sorted.smile.png

I have 22 postings now . . .

but who counts!!!!

Three topics, 22 posts, 307 profile views and 17 likes, all since December of last year. Your right, who counts.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Be Careful , Hes on your case now , hahahahahahalaugh.png

Just a thought but its possible that the university uses the same fibre optic connection for all of the students there ? Does the service decrease in school hours ?

Not really sure. Trying to get good info from the kids that work in the sales offices is an exercise in futility. You raise a good point however.

It appears that CAT is not a popular service with our TV readers. I guess I will try the broadband to start and if response time is poor I can try upgrading and hope that, at some reasonable cost, I can get acceptable response times.

Sunholidaysun1, thank you for your reply. Hopefully I will have a good report in about a weeks time. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Live in the area, have had, TOT, CAT, now have 3BB=happy with so far.

Live in the area, have had, TOT, CAT, now have 3BB=happy with so far.

Sounds like you hit all the major players! Does this mean that you were not happy with CAT? Unfortunately, 3BBB is not an option in this particular location.