Is Chiang Mai Losing Its Charm?

thebear

Comparisons to Bangkok are like comparing Chiang Mai to Pai. It's pointless. Some people love Bangkok, some hate it (me), and the same about Chiang Mai (love it). The city has grown, the people have changed, the land- city-scape has evolved, the smaller issues have become bigger and new social issues have arisen due to the growing number of people blah blah blah. Whatever. For most of us who live here Chiang Mai is as great or as awful as our own lives are. I am particularly happy at this point in life and therefore love where I am.

It is pointless to bleat on about the idyllic past (which ain't that ideal...eating at Suki Coca or Arun Rai for a weekend night out and the Amari for a REALLY special occasion; annual cheese runs to the UK and lack of dairy prods; mayonaise as a staple ingredient in a spaghetti carbonara; no entertainment for children; horrid shops - Tantrapan - with crap prods. The list goes on.) Today I thoroughly enjoy the dining and pub scene, there is culture (more than the generic kantoke of old) with concerts, exhibitions, festivals and the quality of life is better...when I need country, it is a matter of half an hour's drive in any direction.

Can't really fault the city too much. It is up to we citizens to keep a leash on the direction it takes and help make it better.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Chiang Mai changed from what it was, sure it has, and it'll be different in 5 years. The point is change is inevitable and it has growing pains. I grew up in a beach town in Florida a block from the water. The land and the water haven't changed, but now its hard to see the water from the road anymore. I don't like and I don't live there now, but the people that have moved in surely do. It's warm, the waters beautiful and theres not much better than sunset sitting on the beach with a cold beer with the babe of the moment (lots of snow birds vacationing) sitting by your side. Me, I miss dirt roads and secluded beaches in contrast to the large hotels and condos. The traffic is just rotten, but those living there now love it. (not the traffic)

As far as town centers they go through the same changes. Atlantas (as many other)downtown(s) was the absolute pits with no reason to venture there at night unless you were wanting to get mugged. Since the Olympics a progression of new restaurants and clubs along with other developments have made it so you might wanna travel down that way for entertainment, and with a measure of confidence you'll get home intact and with your cash.

Chiang Mai or really where we will live hasn't changed at all that I can see over the past ten years. A couple of new houses in the village and nothing but rice paddies outside of the village in every direction. But change will come and it might even be for the better. But also we'll be looking at some other properties in the mountains even further away when we get to Thailand in 3 weeks, just in case change occurs not to our liking.

Whether Chiang Mai lost it's charm I can't tell. Although I was in Chiang Mai many times. The first time was in 1973. But I always was a tourist and never staid longer than a few days. I used to like it.

But now I'm living here for almost 2 years. It's a very different situation being a tourist or living here.

But now I would say Chiang Mai doesn't have much charm at all. It's a hot and dusty place with a lot of absolutly irresponsible and inept drivers.

There are advantages. Living especially housing is still quite cheap. Most people are friendly. But I'm making up my mind whether that's enough for remaining here.

For real charming places you'd better look to Europe.

I think it depends on if you are a married with kids or single.

For me visiting CM in 2000 I found the place to be a low-key and sweet city that was small enough to explore but had great, interesting characters and nightlife to play about in. I didn't (and still don't) care for the lack of this or that but then I don't lust after western amenities and products that much.

Fast-forward to 2008 and I notice the bars and nightlife is tame and lacklustre but some of the married-types jump around at the amenities and cinema's and big malls that spring up.

The moo-baans on the outer city/countryside just add to the folksy appeal for the married expats.

The Thais and long-termers have mixed views. Some bear with it and enjoy the change (like UG) others move on to somewhere that was like CM was (who knows where?).

I think charm is what CM lost before I even heard about Thailand. Charm is somewhere out in the villages and outer provinces like Isaan or the Southern Provinces.

Whether Chiang Mai lost it's charm I can't tell. Although I was in Chiang Mai many times. The first time was in 1973. But I always was a tourist and never staid longer than a few days. I used to like it.

But now I'm living here for almost 2 years. It's a very different situation being a tourist or living here.

But now I would say Chiang Mai doesn't have much charm at all. It's a hot and dusty place with a lot of absolutly irresponsible and inept drivers.

There are advantages. Living especially housing is still quite cheap. Most people are friendly. But I'm making up my mind whether that's enough for remaining here.

For real charming places you'd better look to Europe.

It's always been hot and dusty - try visiting in winter - and never had good drivers.

As for Europe, I agree, there are some fantastic places; it's just a shame it's full of boring/predictable Europeans. :o

What's 'charm?'

We each have our own definition of what we find charming about Chiang Mai, or any other place for that matter. Perhaps the question you are asking is really; "Chiang Mai has changed. Do you like the change?"

Chiang Mai has grown. It has to. If an entity doesn't grow it stagnates and dies. It can't remain static and survive. Do we 'like' that change? That's up to each and every person to decided. Is it better or worse? I don't think that is a fair question. Some of us prefer the old days when Chiang Mai ended at the moat. Others never experienced that and for them, having it extend a few blocks further is what 'old Chiang Mai' was. Today it extends beyond the superhighway. Is that charming? For some who never saw the old Chiang Mai think it is.

I remember spending months on an island in the Gulf of Thailand before there were roads, telephones, or even electricity on the island. No cars, no loud music, no pollution.... just palm trees, bamboo bungalows, and dive shops. Today there are three franchised 7-Elevens on the island, a car rental agency, and two swimming pools. You can't hear the ocean at night because of the loud music coming from the bars. I prefer the old days. But people visiting that island today find it charming. There are still plenty of palm trees. There are still plenty of dive shops. And they are happy because now there is night life too. Very charming. For them. Not so charming for me. But the economy of the island has boomed. Now there is even crime!

Is Chiang Mai losing its charm? What was its charm for you? No question Chiang Mai is growing. We now have half a dozen hotels that cost between $500-$1,000 USD per night. Charming.... if you can afford that sort of charm. But there are still small guest houses for those who prefer that sort of charm. There are superstores and there are street markets. Changing? Sure. Losing anything? That depends on you.

• 1 month later...

Chiang Mai is my home - I have been coming here for many years and living here the last 5 (nearly 6) years. It has changed since I first visited and changed in the time I have actually lived here. I noticed the changes more when I came, went, and returned. Living here the changes creep up and then you suddenly notice them.

In the "old days" there was many good things about CM - it was rustic and cheap to live but there was limited infrastructure. Hospital, dental, food, services were limited or non existent. The road system was very limited and a lot of dirt/gravel roads. Narrow and dangerous. Trucks (especially Army) ruled the roads and no motorcycles or Tuk Tuks to get around. Getting Mexican food, pizza, burgers, ribs, wheatbix were dreams spoken about in the bars amongst the much smaller expat community. There were far fewer expats and not many actually living here long term. Few tourists but until Daret's guesthouse opened there really wasn't that much for people to do. The CM region has always been interesting and beautiful but getting around wasn't easy. People complain about the police and army checks now - much more common then between the drug trade and the "communist threat" plus they were much more serious not just the cursory look now and a possible on the spot fine, then it was guns drawn and everyone get out of the vehicle.

I still enjoy Chiang Mai and love living here. I have some good friends and while some things are difficult this is still a very liveable city with a good infrastructure and amenities.

Go back to Oz to live - not if I can help it. Burn me and leave the ashes in CM - I am here to stay

CB

I still enjoy Chiang Mai and love living here. I have some good friends and while some things are difficult this is still a very liveable city with a good infrastructure and amenities.

Go back to Oz to live - not if I can help it. Burn me and leave the ashes in CM - I am here to stay

CB

My sentiments exactly – even after 26 years living here

'Pantip' date='2008-02-27 20:10:03' post='1842866']

CB

My sentiments exactly – even after 26 years living here

Me three!!! :o

I found Luang Prabang VERY charming and worth VISITING

and I found Chiang Mai VERY livable and worth STAYING.

I believe that LP looks like CM 30 or 40 years ago. Not that I was already around.

Me four!

Reason for edit: UG

Edited by adjan jb

• 2 weeks later...

I revived the thread but didn't put my 50 satang in....

17 years in Mae Ai (way out in the sticks..) - built a rather large house in 91' and had to "import from Bangkok some floor and wall tiles, certain paints, sky-light roofing materials, and a whirlpool for the bathroom. Massive costs... A few years later most of the items were available in CM... TIT (this is Thailand).

Then the last 4 years in Mae Rim (the old house isnt being used and the pool needs a good tending to...

Now, you can buy or order just about anything for a home, a cornicopia of food, good medical / dental facilities, and quite a few good attractions be it sports, nature, or night life. CM locals are great for laid-back friendships

The downside? More traffic and pollution these days...

Edited by scotbeve