How To Avoid 'scams' And 'unfair' Employment Contracts

I have been offered a lecturing position by a local college. I will be their first, foreign teacher. They are preparing an employment contract and I want to be sure that all relevant conditions and benefits that are applicable to teaching employment in Thailand are stipulated. (I previously worked in Myanmar at an international school who were very familiar with the requirements/benefits to be listed in the contract).

My potential employer may omit something in the contract through 'ignorance', whilst other employers may omit (or include) certain conditions in full knowledge that this action will disadvantage the employee/advantage the employer.

This post will hopefully be useful for others who are being offered teaching employment in Thailand.

To get the ball rolling, here are some conditions that I can think of. For each condition, what are the important points to be stated in the employment contract, or what points/conditions should one be aware of (to avoid be 'scammed' by the employer)?

- Gross salary

- Tax and social welfare deductions

- Payment of visa and work permit fees

- Teaching licence, assistance to obtain

- Overtime pay

- Working hours (attendance hours, teaching hours)

- Contract length (is it only 10 months or the full year?)

- Term dates

- Paid holiday periods

- Notice period/conditions

- Termination conditions

I invite those with experience of Thai employment contracts to comment on any aspects of their employment conditions that a potential employee should be aware of, before signing an employment contract.

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks for the post. I've never taught in Thailand but found in Korea that the schools were not interested in modifying much if anything, perhaps salary. Maybe agencies have more leeway.

Another thing after working...seems like they did as they pleased. If it followed the spirit of the contract loosely great, if not - so what.

In the end the only thing you have over them is quitting.

My hunch for those lacking a BA in Ed, experience and a certificates or teaching Maths and Sciences is that in the end you take it or leave it.

My experience in Korea was that it eas entirely about money, the only thing they can't change. Until they work you counter to contract and literally short y/ur pay packet ☺

My own contract will be only in Thai. I don't like it,

but it's their way or the highway.

Not surprisingly, in Thailand only Thai language versions of contracts and agreements are recognized by the departments of Immigration, Labour and Education and the Labour courts. You could ask for a translation.

My own contract will be only in Thai. I don't like it,

but it's their way or the highway.

Not surprisingly, in Thailand only Thai language versions of contracts and agreements are recognized by the departments of Immigration, Labour and Education and the Labour courts. You could ask for a translation.

I was led to believe that you needed a translation of your contract to get a work permit/visa.

The following won't apply to the OP, but might be a warning to others.

One school suckered me into signing something which they later claimed was a bizarre contract.

Justifying them embezzling a chunk of my pay check.

Never got that contract - and complained to the regional office.

Seems no one gives a hoot!

My first employment contract many years ago had a 3,000 baht penalty clause if I resigned and failed to give 30 days notice. I was OK with that. I found out later from one of the Thai staff that the boss had changed it without telling me to 8,000 (just closed the loops of the 3s). When challenged, I was told I had signed the contract so what was the problem. I explained that I hadn't agreed to that part of the contract. I didn't win. I now make sure I get a copy of any contract I sign. It was a good introductory lesson to Thailand though.

• 2 weeks later...

It happened more than once to me that I was asked to sign a contract, the original, and was promised a copy, which I never got. Even asking again and again didn't help, they said "Yes, sure" and nothing happened! I know better than to push real hard or to threaten any measures; that would mean I'm a bad person and it'll eventually get me fired or not rehired.

10 month, 11 month, 12 month - I don't really care as long as it adds up at the end of the year. Some work for 28K on a 12 month contract, some for 35K on a 10 month contract.

My first employment contract many years ago had a 3,000 baht penalty clause if I resigned and failed to give 30 days notice. I was OK with that. I found out later from one of the Thai staff that the boss had changed it without telling me to 8,000 (just closed the loops of the 3s). When challenged, I was told I had signed the contract so what was the problem. I explained that I hadn't agreed to that part of the contract. I didn't win. I now make sure I get a copy of any contract I sign. It was a good introductory lesson to Thailand though.

Not appearing on Monday after payday takes care of that.