Hainese Chicken Rice

LawrenceChee

Lawrence,

In HK, the best part of Hainan Chicken Rice is the ginger/spring onion/oil dip that comes with it (Keung Chung)

At the shop you've recommended, do they serve with that dip as well?

T

Lawrence,

In HK, the best part of Hainan Chicken Rice is the ginger/spring onion/oil dip that comes with it (Keung Chung)

T

There is a shop in Santitham that serves the chicken with the sauce exactly that you describe. But I can not recommend it. The portions are so small that at first I thought someone was pulling a joke on me - seriously! You need to order 2 or 3 35 Baht orders to feel satisfied. I went with some Thais and everyone ordered 2 portions. I was still hungry after 2 mini portions.

Edited by elektrified

Very sorry to again mention this. But according to my understanding, the correct spelling for this dish is "Hainanese Chicken".

Well I realize you do not need to be able to spell it to make a super fine batch of this stuff, but I just wanted to check to see what is going on with the spelling as posted above by the OP.

Also, if we view the image posted with the topic, then we can see that this shop does also add an extra "n" to their recipe, which is there on their sign.

Lawrence,

T

There is a shop in Santitham that serves the chicken with the sauce exactly that you describe. But I can not recommend it. The portions are so small that at first I thought someone was pulling a joke on me - seriously! You need to order 2 or 3 35 Baht orders to feel satisfied. I went with some Thais and everyone ordered 2 portions. I was still hungry after 2 mini portions.

As I'm mainly interested in the sauce, please tell me more about this place, like location. I will eat there, but mainly for the purpose of buying a batch of sauce on my way out, if they are willing to sell.

Thanks.

T

Lawrence,

T

Heya Thakkar

I agree ...I miss that dip. In this store they have their own version..for closeness of taste, it's about 7.5

I am thinking of opening a Hong Kong restaurant in Chiang Mai ...we need it and I will eat there every day

• Like 2

Yes. If looking at 3 kings, its the one way road on the left. Personally prefer the last one on the corner heading towards Phra Singh. They let you add the ginger, chilies, syrup yourself. But my favorite is actually off of Wulai Rd. Real chicken broth/soup, and perfectly cooked chicken.

It think the second pic is the famous one. (Kiart Ocha). That's the one you want.

Also it's at the Three Kings Monument, not Ratchadamnoen (Sunday walking street) Inthawarorot Rd IIRC.

I can't find it n either of the two roads mentioned by the OP or Winnie. Maybe it was closed because of the holiday, but could not see this sign from the street.

post-160540-13693891726414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

Lawrence,

T

Heya Thakkar

I agree ...I miss that dip. In this store they have their own version..for closeness of taste, it's about 7.5

I am thinking of opening a Hong Kong restaurant in Chiang Mai ...we need it and I will eat there every day

Do not do that. We will miss your food reviews.

Lawrence,

T

Heya Thakkar

If you do, I'll rent a pied-à-terre right next to it! Ah, for a traditional Cha Chaan Theng (once ubiquitous in HK, mom and pop coffee shops with terrible coffee, but great snacks) in CM. Even in HK, they are getting rare; easier to find one in KL these days.

T

This is really weird. The newest French restaurant in Pattaya called la ferme has a chicken dish which is basically hainanese chicken rice. For 250baht or so. they had some fancy name and description, of course... but it's still chicken rice. I was very disappointed because I did not expect this. That said, it was quite a nice chicken rice albeit expensive.

Had tried this Hainanese Chicken rice shop too on a rather unusual occasion. Car broke down just after workshop fix. Had to park overnight at Wat Phra Singh while wait next morning foreman came fix it. Seem like they didn’t secure the brake pad after change the ball joint and rod.

Anyway, Tried their white chicken. Not to my liking. Still prefer Singapore/Malaysia style. Maybe I am a Malaysian. biggrin.pngTheir chick serve cold and Soup is too salty with lot of MSG.

There also different in the way they served the chicken compare to Malaysia. In Malaysia, cut chicken meat will be smack with side of cleaver first, make it more soft and easy to chew. Here just cut and served, meat are more chewy.

hmm...how is the quality of the meat? chewy as in good?

how was the rice?? taste good?

Oh golly ...I think we have a real business opportunity here hahhahah we all are missing good HK Cantonese food !

too bad i never try much HK food before..

but heard alot of many yummy foods in hk...some of them have to queue for hours...

This is really weird. The newest French restaurant in Pattaya called la ferme has a chicken dish which is basically hainanese chicken rice. For 250baht or so. they had some fancy name and description, of course... but it's still chicken rice. I was very disappointed because I did not expect this. That said, it was quite a nice chicken rice albeit expensive.

That price is almost the same as having the chicken rice in Singapore mandarin hotel chatterbox cafe overpriced and not tasty to the price paid .,,just a nice ambience

On which main street? Iooked for the soi 6 sign on both Ratchadamnoen and Inthawarorot Roads and I am missing it somehow. I see soi 7 though.

Turn right on the soi before Ming Kwan (police station), then make another right when you get to the intersection.,

Edited by KRS1

Went to the one @ the railway station and I still miss the chill garlic dip and sesame oil on the chicken / garnish in rice @ Hainan & Singapore ...this version was too dry for my liking and between the 2 reviewed I still like the first one better with attached pictures as in my original post near 3 Kings Monument

Oh golly ...I think we have a real business opportunity here hahhahah we all are missing good HK Cantonese food !

The poor Hainanese

First the Singaporeans claim kai fan as their own

and now its good Cantonese food

and dont forget to put bak ku teh on your menu Lawrence and you can say its from Singapore

I finally tried the place in the OP. It must close pretty early as I kept missing it when I came after 2 PM. To me, it was tamada (average), but my Thai staff are very enthusiastic about the place. It is easy to find if you hit it early in the day and know that it is on Intrawarorot Road and soi 6 with a bright red sign out front.

I have to admit that I don't really like the brown sauce that these places give automatically with kow mun gai very much. I prefer the sweet, orange sauce that they normally give one with fried chicken. Next time, I will remember to ask for it.

I've mostly been eating vegetarian food lately, which is much cheaper, so I was surprised that a very small plate is now a minimum of 40 baht. I don't see how anyone can feel full on just one of these tiny plates and 80 baht seems like it would be expensive for an average Thai person. Thailand really is getting more pricey, but still way cheaper than back home.

Edited by Ulysses G.

"it was tamada (average)"

I have not heard that expression before.

What language is that? English, Thai, or Chinese, as in Hainanese refers to Hainan, I think.

I have usually eaten this dish in HK.

The texture of the chicken is really nice there.

Sauce is fine in HK.

I used to buy it in plastic bags and carry it back to my abode on HoManTin

And then just pig out on Hainanese Chicken all night long watching Pearl

In the days before the internet.

Now in CM, hopefully I will be able to enjoy Hainanese Chicken, too.

And I love BaiQieJi, Just chicken cut with the bone, served cold and dipped in your sauce of choice,

I prefer that Orange and Chili sauce usually sold wherever you find Hakka people.

Sorry, got to quit now, taste buds and salivary glands are kicking up again.

• Like 1

The poor Hainanese

and dont forget to put bak ku teh on your menu Lawrence and you can say its from Singapore

not sure whats kai fan but hainanese chicken rice isnt from hainanese. the original wenchang chicken from hainanese is quite different hainanese chicken. actually the chicken rice here represent more towards wenchang chicken than hainanese chicken

The poor Hainanese

not sure whats kai fan but hainanese chicken rice isnt from hainanese. the original wenchang chicken from hainanese is quite different hainanese chicken. actually the chicken rice here represent more towards wenchang chicken than hainanese chicken

Spoken clear as your Avatar, Barefoot.