Debt Of Thailand?

Assume the the whole national economy is $100, and you borrow $100 at 10% interest, Now you have to pay it back, of course now you have to pay $110 back, so the economy grew by 10%.

How long are you borrowing $100 at 10%, i.e. the term of the loan? Your calculation appears to be a wild guess.

Edited by wooloomooloo

The US gov is financing it's debt at a massive 1% a year. Holy mackerel!

And they're robbing their creditors by devaluing their currency. The benefits of being a safe haven!

against which currency, except the Thai Baht, do you see a devaluation of the Dollar? huh.png

Maybe he meant Inflation?

And they're robbing their creditors by devaluing their currency. The benefits of being a safe haven!

against which currency, except the Thai Baht, do you see a devaluation of the Dollar? huh.png

Most of my income is in Canadian and in the last week it has dropped 2 cents against the American dollar. Fortunately the baht has not got any stronger last week.

against which currency, except the Thai Baht, do you see a devaluation of the Dollar? :huh:

No , I meant competitive devaluation, though inflation achieves the same goal, with your own citizens as the victims. Inflation does have some benefits, though, making it easier to cut prices, salaries and benefits in real terms

SC

No , I meant competitive devaluation, though inflation achieves the same goal, with your own citizens as the victims. Inflation does have some benefits, though, making it easier to cut prices, salaries and benefits in real terms

SC

Yep, that was why I suggested you were actually talking about inflation...

Assume the the whole national economy is $100, and you borrow $100 at 10% interest, Now you have to pay it back, of course now you have to pay $110 back, so the economy grew by 10%.

How long are you borrowing $100 at 10%, i.e. the term of the loan?  Your calculation appears to be a wild guess.

:blink:

Assume the the whole national economy is $100, and you borrow $100 at 10% interest, Now you have to pay it back, of course now you have to pay $110 back, so the economy grew by 10%.

How long are you borrowing $100 at 10%, i.e. the term of the loan? Your calculation appears to be a wild guess.

blink.png

There's little point talking finance, frankold, when posters are unable to calculate interest.

Ten per cent of 100 is obviously 10, but nothing to do with how interest is calculated.

Not even against the baht anymore as that has magically stabilized over the past 2 weeks and is now testing the 30.00 level once more.

It is possible.

It is possible to live somewhere without borrowing and many people do.

Don't borrow your views from the latest documentary you have just seen.

I am 59 years. I have been living on cash, no dept, since 1981. I moved to Thailand in 1987. I have been and will continue to be Debt free.
But you flew to Thailand on a plane which was possibly purchased on credit or did you check the airline you used to see if they were debt free? Doubt it. And doubt if all the business services you use on a daily basis have been checked by you as to whether they are debt free. So your life sits on debt. Your existence depends on it.
  • Like 1

How about you borrow $100 (or 100 seeds) to plant and grow an apple orchard, get the energy from the sun for free to grow them, sell some of the apples for a profit and repay your 10% interest. Assuming you enjoy eating apples, you have participated in the financial system without having to print $18 trillion. Massive oversimplification, but you get the idea, The extra 10% comes from the sun and a bit of sweat, not the printing press of a private company.

How about you borrow $100 (or 100 seeds) to plant and grow an apple orchard, get the energy from the sun for free to grow them, sell some of the apples for a profit and repay your 10% interest. Assuming you enjoy eating apples, you have participated in the financial system without having to print $18 trillion. Massive oversimplification, but you get the idea, The extra 10% comes from the sun and a bit of sweat, not the printing press of a private company.

and if you swallow the pips a tree will grow inside you.

IN both instances (apples or money) the supply has increased by 10%, unfortunately for us we dont live in an apple based economy , but in a money economy , and a particular money economy at that, and this particular money economy depends on dept to grow the supply.

I am not making a value judgment just reflecting on the fact that, with our dept this particular money based economy would collapse

economy is not based on money but on paper.

sticks, bond, cash, it s all paper.

this world is a ponzy scheme. debt can not be paid unless we print money. Chinese give papers to USA, they don't give gold or diamants... they are not idiots. USA gives back paper,...

economy is not based on money but on paper.

sticks, bond, cash, it s all paper.

this world is a ponzy scheme. debt can not be paid unless we print money. Chinese give papers to USA, they don't give gold or diamants... they are not idiots. USA gives back paper,...

For each transaction then, I'm sure we might be able to pull out an old stagecoach to load up the bullion bars from Fort Knox, taking them to port to load onto a steamship for transport to China so they have collateral. Just might take a few months, so everyone can twiddle their thumbs and wait for a telegram can be sent by Western Union before financing new projects gets under way.

the good economy is when people were exchanging food, beers, chicken... now we exchange printed papers called money.

the big problem is the government deciding what our money worths.

your chicken is a chicken, but a dollar is not a dollar anymore if government decide "their" money worth shit after printing more.

you can not grow good chicken in a day to buy good beers...

this happen in Germany after second world war when german workers sent their wife to market everyday to buy for food before their money lost its value the next day.

best bet is house, land,... everything you need to live well.

the good economy is when people were exchanging food, beers, chicken... now we exchange printed papers called money.

the big problem is the government deciding what our money worths.

your chicken is a chicken, but a dollar is not a dollar anymore if government decide "their" money worth shit after printing more.

you can not grow good chicken in a day to buy good beers...

this happen in Germany after second world war when german workers sent their wife to market everyday to buy for food before their money lost its value the next day.

best bet is house, land,... everything you need to live well.

I can just see me turning up at the Ineternet Service Provider with a chicken. Or popping down to the Cathay Pacific offices with a load of bullocks.

sure you can, in time of war, basics are better than some sort of printed paper.

what you don't see is our world is based on a ponzy scheme... nothing else. we have guys who do nothing and rack millions a year.

retirement, healthcare, unemployment,... everything we have built became just a big mega ponzy scheme than even experts can not understand what s going on. little bit like the internet...

the debt? , we will never pay it back. we have no money. .. and we have no idea what will happen next , nobody care really. why? because it s just freaking bank notes and we know what our gov will do, print more money... until we go to a war. do your u think China will be happy to be paid back with monopoly banknotes? , or they will be more happy to take USA lands instead? your choice....

Edited by Cheapcharly
  • Like 1