Thailand To Regain Its Role As World's Leading Rice Exporter

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure they can, sell the whole lot to China for 1/2 price, the WTO may have a negative view on that I imagine.

That is because with the inadequate storage of the rice only half of it will be edible.

Last year they were in desperate need for storage space. They even considered the warehouses at Don Muang. They rejected them as suitable. To open to public view and all of a sudden there was no more talk of searching.

Like where did the suitable housing come from all of a sudden. Look at the Ivory coast. They had to dump 20% of the rice they bought on the G2G deal. Word is going to get around to other nations. China is like Thailand when it comes to face saving they are not going to admit to being taken in by Thailand. Also there is a strong possibility that graft was involved as the Chinese government itself received money on every pad Thailand bought.

I think that Thai Jasmine rice InThai: <Thai language removed>; Khao Hom Mali is the best rice I have ever had.. Its also great for Export..

The price of it has gone up a lot in Australia, a 2 kg bag is around $10.00 (600 baht) you can buy a 5kg bag in Thailand for around 200 baht. Now with the high baht it is going to be more expensive in aus

You were the World's leading rice exporter, so , would you like to explain why you are not now, is it because of decisions made, that you were told not to make, what go's around comes around kiddies, the administration of this country has to look no further than it's self and heads surely will roll, preferably at the highest level, there aren't I being kind coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

True they were told not to do it but the man in Dubai disagreed and ipso presto we have a massive flop on are hands.

Believe e the head behind it will not roll it will just carry on with it's massive disregard for the common every day Thai unless they can be used as canon fodder.

Sure they can, sell the whole lot to China for 1/2 price, the WTO may have a negative view on that I imagine.

That is because with the inadequate storage of the rice only half of it will be edible.

Last year they were in desperate need for storage space. They even considered the warehouses at Don Muang. They rejected them as suitable. To open to public view and all of a sudden there was no more talk of searching.

Like where did the suitable housing come from all of a sudden. Look at the Ivory coast. They had to dump 20% of the rice they bought on the G2G deal. Word is going to get around to other nations. China is like Thailand when it comes to face saving they are not going to admit to being taken in by Thailand. Also there is a strong possibility that graft was involved as the Chinese government itself received money on every pad Thailand bought.

With prices like this and supply like this, there is little hope of shifting this volume.

Like where did the suitable housing come from all of a sudden.

Doesn't take long to knock up a barn and if you know you can fill it with rice from the start go it pays for it in 6 months.

I have a hard time they put up a suitable amount of barns adequate to the safe storage of rice. That fast it was like an overnight thing.

I recall reading where properly stored rice could last a couple of years. Can't exactly recall the details different rice's different storage times but the storage had to be adequate.

With prices like this and supply like this, there is little hope of shifting this volume.

Could call an early election and instead of paying for the votes they can offer 1/2 ton of rice instead..... which can then be sold back to the rice scheme..... err...

Ponzi anyone?

• Like 1

Yes that was pointed out in notmyself post #24

Like where did the suitable housing come from all of a sudden.

Doesn't take long to knock up a barn and if you know you can fill it with rice from the start go it pays for it in 6 months.

I have a hard time they put up a suitable amount of barns adequate to the safe storage of rice. That fast it was like an overnight thing.

I recall reading where properly stored rice could last a couple of years. Can't exactly recall the details different rice's different storage times but the storage had to be adequate.

I just said storage as in SOMEWHERE to put it. These so called 'dogs' for the export market could well be just obese rats fattened up on free Thai rice. Get the pied piper over here and they wouldn't have to pay to transport the rice for the export market, it could walk out. Edited by notmyself
  • Like 1

Couple of years back there was an article about the development of rice in Louisiana called "Jazz Man", which could produce 3-4 times the amount of rice in the same amount of land as Thai Jasmine rice. The Ag Minister at the time here in LOS stated that he wasn't worried about that, or any other rice producing country, because Thailand was #1, and would always be #1, because people the world over would always prefer Thai Jasmine rice.

If I'm a rice buyer for another country, and need x-amount of tons, and I see Thai rice, which may or many not be fresh, selling at over $100 a ton more than what I know is good rice from India & Vietnam, who do you think I'm going to buy from.

This story is nothing more that "feel good propaganda", and has zero credibility or factual basis to it.

• Like 2

If it were me.....

If it were me,

I'd admit that the Thai's,

have indeed the best rice,

If it were me?

I would agree,

that it is the finest...

For flavor, and quality to me,

I guess I would simply,

Whole heartedly have to agree...

But I admit some things that ,

That I surely see,

But my American nieces,

Could not believe,

A rice that was sweet,

I love this new rice,

they would often tweet...

And good to the taste....

The aroma that they loved,

Did not go to waste.....

What is old rice,

And what is new?

The one that is cheaper,

Is not the view.....

So give Thailand their presence,

In the rice review......

Just a thought brothers.....

Kilosierra wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Just more "feel good" waffle to make the masses think everything is under control and working well.

It's the strong bahts fault, caused by those independent idiots at the BOT, just like Khun Thaksin pointed out. If only they'd listened to PTPs finance minisiter. Put all these "independents" under the contol of the democratically elected government and then everything can be "managed" according to plan.

This statement is about as useful, and accurate, as Gordon Brown's "the days of boom and bust" are over nonsense.

I would defy any amateur to tell the difference between top quality jasmine rice from Thailand or Cambodia.

Rumour has it that Thai government expert buyers are having the same difficulty.

• Like 1

I will believe it when I see it but then again may not due to G 2 G deals being top secret.

The G2G deals are great to hide millions and perhaps billions of lost Baht but this monster has become so big it's out of control. You can check your wallet and expect 10k Baht to be there but only find 9k and put it down to paying a forgotten bill, lost in the street or given the wrong change at some point because it was dark. When you only find 2k out of the 10k, you know full well that it was not due to any of the above. You can buy a bottle of vodka for sale at a bar, siphon off 10% and replace it with water. Chances are you will get away with it because customers will put it down to bad taste buds that day due to a hot curry they had that evening, or some such. If you siphon off 80% and replace it with water you have no chance of getting away with it.

The 2.2T loan is a smokescreen to somehow put 7k back in the wallet or 70% of the vodka back in the bottle. Kick the can down the road for a few years then get out of Dudge just before the sheriff turns up before claiming the said shefiff was only sent for political motivations. It's not by any means the oldest trick in the book but let's face it, there are a considerable number of pages that come after it.

Excellent Post. Excellent summary of how in a political content a summary of how a milking shed all connected to the system works. Contect the milking tubes to all branches of the unit via in this case the Shinawatra mafia clan taking over all points of control and set the system to cream off their 20%. Although I do not think Thaksin wishes to skip out of Dodge, He and his Shinawatra clan have no intention of ever disconnecting their milking tubes. Hence why they are trying to obtain total control over the judiciary. Someone posted on here a while back that Thaksin does not need to worry about all the thieved from the Thai people loot he has had returned back to the people over the years. They are right. The sucking tubes are being injected everywhere. Thaksin will be sucking more in a sort time from the Thai and Isaan coffers then he ever had to lawfully return. The Isaan poor have only replaced not gained their next Amart. If Thaksin wins Thailand then the hope of a Democracy for many years is gone. Once Thaksin and the Shinawatra's get full hold of Thailand it will start sliding into a mirror of Cambodia

Some time ago there was an effort to make a shipment to China with false accounting but the incident blew and there was a scalded cat pull-back. Governments are not allowed to sell goods at less than cost as this is considered dumping. The rising baht provides a convenient excuse but the level of subsidy kicks any small adjustment into touch. Once the stored rice starts to spoil then the policy is blown. The government will be pressed to deny rotting stores.
As I remember there is a 5% clause which means it could be sold at cost less 5%. 5% lol, like that really means anything in this situation.

This whole rice situation IS going to blow at some stage.

I busted a few numbers some time back and the situation is something like this......

Assuming the new rail system was in place, all the rolling stock was on a circular track and that the rice was in one place and had to be moved to one other place, it would take over 6 months just to move it.

Let's look at it another way.... All the rolling stock is pure cargo. It would take 100 trains @ 1 KM long to move 250,000 ton and Thailand has <>18 million ton.

So just straight off the top of the head. Storage, transport, wastage (which HAS to be massive), high exchange rate and graft (30%?) means it will need to be sold at double the price paid for it just to break even. In addition, I think I would be hard pressed to find anyone who expects the quality to be 'top'. Ivory Coast 'said' they had to dump 20%. Could be BS but I tend to think it was at the very least an indication as to its quality at present.

How does Goddess minister 'KNOW' THAT India and Pakistan will have Less rice later this year? is she getting uncle Taksin to buy it?

No wonder this country is backward. but if they were as smart as us.... It wouldnt be affordable or fun to be here.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess India, Pakistan, and Vietnam will sell their year’s quota at favorable terms, leaving Thailand with the worst possible terms if they can dump old rice on the world market.

I remember when T. S. was in charge he dumped all of Thailand’s rubber on the market, and screwed the world market price he didn’t win and influence many in Asia then guess they are all having a good laugh now.

Thailand to regain role as world's leading rice exporter

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, now that, people, that is an example humour at its finest. Well done that minister.

Edited by Bluespunk

Couple of years back there was an article about the development of rice in Louisiana called "Jazz Man", which could produce 3-4 times the amount of rice in the same amount of land as Thai Jasmine rice. The Ag Minister at the time here in LOS stated that he wasn't worried about that, or any other rice producing country, because Thailand was #1, and would always be #1, because people the world over would always prefer Thai Jasmine rice.

If I'm a rice buyer for another country, and need x-amount of tons, and I see Thai rice, which may or many not be fresh, selling at over $100 a ton more than what I know is good rice from India & Vietnam, who do you think I'm going to buy from.

This story is nothing more that "feel good propaganda", and has zero credibility or factual basis to it.

The actual percentage of true high quality hom Mali that is exported is quite small. The majority is other more generic types anyway.

There is also a big percentage of the world that doesn't like fragrant rice. Not everyone is falling over themselves to have Thai rice. It is not this overwhelmingly dominant desired type. It is just they can grow tonnes of it at reasonable prices.

But alas no more.

Couple of years back there was an article about the development of rice in Louisiana called "Jazz Man", which could produce 3-4 times the amount of rice in the same amount of land as Thai Jasmine rice.  The Ag Minister at the time here in LOS stated that he wasn't worried about that, or any other rice producing country, because Thailand was #1, and would always be #1, because people the world over would always prefer Thai Jasmine rice. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/09/28/business/business_30113181.php

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"....she is certain Thailand will regain its leading position as the world's No. 1 rice exporter this year ."

And I am certain Thailand will have High Speed Rail by Christmas.

What is she smoking?

Could it be ear medication?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/09/28/business/business_30113181.php

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep, that's the one I meant. Thanks Apetley

thumbsup.gif

I think the 'strong Baht' excuse is wearing a bit thin now. It's dropped again and is now (as of yesterday) trading at 29.93, slightly lower than the 29,91 at the end of January (to the US$).

Wonder if China would accept rice in payment for HSR?

How many people would 20mn tons feed for one year?

Thais eat 103 kilos of rice each per year, or a total of 6,904,528 tons per year. So it could feed Thailand for 3 years.

Edited by waza

How many people would 20mn tons feed for one year?

Thais eat 103 kilos of rice each per year, or a total of 6,904,528 tons per year. So it could feed Thailand for 3 years.

If Thailand was not importing 250,000 + tons of rice a month, they could make a dent in the rice mountain on hand by feeding it own people. But Thailand wont even buy it own expensive rice. LOL.

• Like 1