Is There A "real Deal" Chinese Restaurant In Pattaya ?

DavoTheGun

mate, where in Thailand can you get real Chinese food anywhere, it is all the thai equivelent and is usually pretty woeful. I have given up on looking for a Chinese restaurant full stop.

That isn't really true. There are real Chinese places in Bangkok where the waiters don't even speak Thai ...

Is it San Francisco or Hong Kong? No. But there are places.

Where? In Chinatown? Please list some of these places as even in Chinatown, the waiters I spoke to were Thai. Nothing wrong with that as this is Thailand, but I'd love to visit a place where the waiters are Chinese. In Laos this is easy as so many Chinese restaurants there are run by recent Chinese immigrants, but I thought it would be impossible to find in Thailand.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess there's around 100 of them!!!!

Name them or your post is BS !!!!

I reckon for someone who hasn't actually actively been searching for these real deal Chinese targets in town for many years now, it might SUPERFICIALLY appear to be so. But trust me. It is not so.

The answer to the OP's question depends on what one means by "real deal." I got confused: he said "duck tongues," which would mean a very esoteric form of Chinese food, not widely eaten or appreciated by most Westerners (JT excluded). China is, obviously, a huge country. The food variety is probably the greatest in the world. One can only say the "north" is a noodle culture and the "south" is a rice culture. I grew up in the southern states of the United States and had lots of American style real-deal Chinese food. I can't find that in Thailand. And I did search all over Chinatown. I also lived in both northern and southern China (total of 3 years), so I am not unfamiliar with Chinese food. In China I found many dishes that were very similar to American Chinese food, but they all had different names and none were identital to what Americans, at least, tend to love and crave. In Thailand I have never found Chinese food similar to what I know as American-Chinese food. If I had grown up in San Francisco, where the American-Chinese food is a bit different from the rest of the USA, I think I might be looking for more exotic noodle dishes (I just mentioned that because I think JT is very familiar with Chinese food in China and American-Chinese food in SF). Lets face it, most Westerners do not want to pay for and eat essence of duck fart on a lotus leaf :) Most of us, sadly not the Brits among us, know what good Chinese food is like: Moo Goo Gai Pan, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Moo Shu Pork, Beef and Scallops Hunan Style, Szechuan Chicken/Beef, Chow Mein, Chop Suey, Lemon Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken, Pork with Black Bean Sauce, and so on. I know places that make fantastic American-Chinese versions of these dishes. I can't find these dishes in Thailand. I have never seen them in Chinatown. Most places over here seem to focus on noodle dishes and dumplings. Often what is passing for Chinese food is a weird Thai version that sucks. I think it is probably very difficult to make American-style Chinese food or their Chinese counterparts, which, as I said, are often similar. It takes a lot of skill to make those dishes. Maybe people with that skill are not over here. We can disagree, but I think we can agree there is a niche that has yet to be filled. Those who crave Chinese food and/or American-Chinese food (minus duck farts) should not have to go all over Thailand in search of just one good dish.

Thailand is not the place for "American style" Chinese food. Yes, if people are looking for good versions of that in Thailand -- FORGET IT.

Not all threads need to cover the universe. Chinese food is a large universe.

I guess I agree mixing a request for duck tongues and chow mein in the same request for "real deal" is confusing.

To me a classic "real deal" Chinese place is a REGIONAL Chinese restaurant specializing in one region's foods where a food loving native of that region would go and think the food was reasonably authentic and at least OK in quality. Obviously many Chinese restaurants don't stick to one region, but my favorites are usually more regionally specialized places.

Awoh, your assumptions about me were largely not accurate, but not worth the energy to go into it.

Edited by Jingthing

I would guess there's around 100 of them!!!!

Name them or your post is BS !!!!

I reckon for someone who hasn't actually actively been searching for these real deal Chinese targets in town for many years now, it might SUPERFICIALLY appear to be so. But trust me. It is not so.

The answer to the OP's question depends on what one means by "real deal." I got confused: he said "duck tongues," which would mean a very esoteric form of Chinese food, not widely eaten or appreciated by most Westerners (JT excluded). China is, obviously, a huge country. The food variety is probably the greatest in the world. One can only say the "north" is a noodle culture and the "south" is a rice culture. I grew up in the southern states of the United States and had lots of American style real-deal Chinese food. I can't find that in Thailand. And I did search all over Chinatown. I also lived in both northern and southern China (total of 3 years), so I am not unfamiliar with Chinese food. In China I found many dishes that were very similar to American Chinese food, but they all had different names and none were identital to what Americans, at least, tend to love and crave. In Thailand I have never found Chinese food similar to what I know as American-Chinese food. If I had grown up in San Francisco, where the American-Chinese food is a bit different from the rest of the USA, I think I might be looking for more exotic noodle dishes (I just mentioned that because I think JT is very familiar with Chinese food in China and American-Chinese food in SF). Lets face it, most Westerners do not want to pay for and eat essence of duck fart on a lotus leaf smile.png Most of us, sadly not the Brits among us, know what good Chinese food is like: Moo Goo Gai Pan, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Moo Shu Pork, Beef and Scallops Hunan Style, Szechuan Chicken/Beef, Chow Mein, Chop Suey, Lemon Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken, Pork with Black Bean Sauce, and so on. I know places that make fantastic American-Chinese versions of these dishes. I can't find these dishes in Thailand. I have never seen them in Chinatown. Most places over here seem to focus on noodle dishes and dumplings. Often what is passing for Chinese food is a weird Thai version that sucks. I think it is probably very difficult to make American-style Chinese food or their Chinese counterparts, which, as I said, are often similar. It takes a lot of skill to make those dishes. Maybe people with that skill are not over here. We can disagree, but I think we can agree there is a niche that has yet to be filled. Those who crave Chinese food and/or American-Chinese food (minus duck farts) should not have to go all over Thailand in search of just one good dish.

And Hong Kong being a former colony prevents Brits from knowing what good Chinese food is how???? Sorry I forgot Americans know and have the best food from wherever you want to mention.

Edited by RabC

And Hong Kong being a former colony prevents Brits from knowing what good Chinese food is how???? Sorry I forgot Americans know and have the best food from wherever you want to mention.

Do you lot call food in general CHOW?

Anyway, it's not a competition, at least it doesn't really matter here in Thailand.

We've got what we've got in Thailand Chinese-food-wise and for many of us who are into different kinds of Chinese food, whatever those kinds might be, it's less than we might want.

Of course for Thai-Chinese food lovers, this is ground zero! (Seriously, not my thing so much though.)

Side note: Asian food in California is often especially wonderful for FRESH LOCAL INGREDIENTS because of the climate, rich agriculture (and fisheries), and large local communities of diverse ethnic groups. For example when the Vietnamese population wave hit, the first thing they did was to start to GROW their own native ingredients in California. Not as easy to do that in England, I reckon.

Here is an example of a type of Chinese food easy to find in San Francisco and U.S. cities with good Chinese restaurant scenes, but for some reason, not in Thailand. I consider this Chinese food, not Chinese American food. OK, you CAN get a Thai Chinese version of shrimp w/ bean thread noodle easily here but it is generally more Thai flavor, and I've yet to see a robust menu of Chinese clay pot dishes in Thailand.

Clay Pot
23. Vegetarian Clay Pot $7.95

24. Braised Tofu in Clay Pot $6.50

25. Seafood in Clay Pot $8.50

26. Abalone in Clay Pot $9.50

27. Lamb in Clay Pot $7.95

28. Beef Stew in Clay Pot $8.50

29. Ox Tail in Clay Pot $8.50

30. Frog in Clay Pot $9.50

31. Quail in Clay Pot $8.50

32. Shrimp with Vermicelli in Clay Pot $7.95

33. Duck in Clay Pot $7.95

34. Braised Fish Fillet in Clay Pot $8.50

35. Tofu Chicken in Clay Pot $7.95

Edited by Jingthing

A lot of British slang for food pre dates the discovery of the colonies by several hundred years. Mmmmm now did we know about China or North America first? Marco Polo or Christopher Columbus...... Please do not compare History with habits (bad)

A lot of British slang for food pre dates the discovery of the colonies by several hundred years. Mmmmm now did we know about China or North America first? Marco Polo or Christopher Columbus...... Please do not compare History with habits (bad)

Funny, the British "habit" of wanting to diminish Americans, yet really, we don't much BOTHER returning the negative fascination. (Inferiority complex much, empire GONE gone gone ...) Really, dude, what is the point of stirring up Anglo-American friction on a thread about CHINESE food in THAILAND? Geez!w00t.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

OK, sorry for saying Brits know nothing about Chinese food. I should have said that I do not like British-style Chinese food, which, by the way, I thankfully never saw in Hong Kong :) We all have different opinions and tastes. How boring the world would be if we all thinked alike. If you like the British-style Chinese food that is being served in Thailand you are fortunate. I want more options, one of which is American-style Chinese food--the basic stuff that you get at Chinese restaurants all over the USA. I do not like dim sum and most Chinese noodle dishes, have no desire for pig ears or duck tongues, and dislike the British-style Chinese food that is being served over here, so I am starving for American-style Chinese food.

• Like 1

OK, sorry for saying Brits know nothing about Chinese food. I should have said that I do not like British-style Chinese food, which, by the way, I thankfully never saw in Hong Kong :) We all have different opinions and tastes. How boring the world would be if we all thinked alike. If you like the British-style Chinese food that is being served in Thailand you are fortunate. I want more options, one of which is American-style Chinese food--the basic stuff that you get at Chinese restaurants all over the USA. I do not like dim sum and most Chinese noodle dishes, have no desire for pig ears or duck tongues, and dislike the British-style Chinese food that is being served over here, so I am starving for American-style Chinese food.

I too am not keen on the Standard UK style Chineese as is served here, but that is no more indicative of UK tastes than the mass produced Curries bought by thousands of drunken Englishmen every weekend once the pubs close.

OK, sorry for saying Brits know nothing about Chinese food. I should have said that I do not like British-style Chinese food, which, by the way, I thankfully never saw in Hong Kong smile.png We all have different opinions and tastes. How boring the world would be if we all thinked alike. If you like the British-style Chinese food that is being served in Thailand you are fortunate. I want more options, one of which is American-style Chinese food--the basic stuff that you get at Chinese restaurants all over the USA. I do not like dim sum and most Chinese noodle dishes, have no desire for pig ears or duck tongues, and dislike the British-style Chinese food that is being served over here, so I am starving for American-style Chinese food.

I too am not keen on the Standard UK style Chineese as is served here, but that is no more indicative of UK tastes than the mass produced Curries bought by thousands of drunken Englishmen every weekend once the pubs close.

So are you saying that the food that people eat is not indicative of their tastes? That seems slightly counter-intuitive to me. Interestingly, yesterday at lunchtime three of us expat British chaps all chose to eat at the Indian stall that is most like a British after-pub curry; so I think that the food that people eat is indicative of their tastes, and most British people would go for a British-style (i.e. expat * Indian) curry in preference to ethnic Chinese food or ethnic Malay food (the other alternative on offer)

SC

* Meaning not necessarily anything like you get in India

So are you saying that the food that people eat is not indicative of their tastes? That seems slightly counter-intuitive to me. Interestingly, yesterday at lunchtime three of us expat British chaps all chose to eat at the Indian stall that is most like a British after-pub curry; so I think that the food that people eat is indicative of their tastes, and most British people would go for a British-style (i.e. expat * Indian) curry in preference to ethnic Chinese food or ethnic Malay food (the other alternative on offer)

SC

My one question is, in the UK have you ever been back sober to what was Saturdays nights best ever curry?

I have had and continue to have superb curries and Chinese food in the UK but what is served up by a lot of high St places after throwing out time is questionable that's all I am saying .

Edited by RabC

Calling again: anyone with any leads on "real deal" Chinese restaurants in PATTAYA that I might not have come across, please reveal!

Exceptions:

Upscale hotel restaurants

Thai Chinese places

There are one or two a little more Chinese than Thai Chinese type places on North road but I found underwhelming.

OK, sorry for saying Brits know nothing about Chinese food. I should have said that I do not like British-style Chinese food, which, by the way, I thankfully never saw in Hong Kong smile.png We all have different opinions and tastes. How boring the world would be if we all thinked alike. If you like the British-style Chinese food that is being served in Thailand you are fortunate. I want more options, one of which is American-style Chinese food--the basic stuff that you get at Chinese restaurants all over the USA. I do not like dim sum and most Chinese noodle dishes, have no desire for pig ears or duck tongues, and dislike the British-style Chinese food that is being served over here, so I am starving for American-style Chinese food.

SC

My one question is, in the UK have you ever been back sober to what was Saturdays nights best ever curry?

I have had and continue to have superb curries and Chinese food in the UK but what is served up by a lot of high St places after throwing out time is questionable that's all I am saying .

Growing up in Scotland we'd have a curry on the way to the pub, or a kebab on the way home - back in the day; I believe the English licensing laws have relaxed somewhat now.

SC

And that is why when I go to San Francisco in 3 weeks I will be eating Chinese & Mexican food galore. I have to agree both venues here are not only near non existent but the quality or portions just are not there. Sometimes it is hell just to find re-fried beans . Even Macro has been out.

Unfortunately Pattaya is no where close to San Fran on any level in the food dept.!sad.png

Do yourself a favor, go to Oakland if you are looking for Chinese food. It's a short trip and it's worth the $3 bart fare for what is arguably better food.

Been in Oaktown as well. Most of the bay area shreds with regards to Chinese cuisine!!!!!!!!!!!