Yellow Book And Blue Book

Jobo

i would like to add to the question this.............

The blue book is house registration of a Thai national in a particular "house"

It has NOTHING to do with house ownership registration.

Many Thai people in the NE really think it is a house ownership book.

according to me its not!

hgma you are probably correct but I never mentioned anything about property ownership. The OP wanted to know the difference between a Yellow and Blue Book.

AFAIK farangs always get (should have) the Yellow book whether they own or rent a property.

Thais will get the Blue Book to note their "principle" place of residence. Again it bears no relationship to whether they own or merely reside in that property/address.

Generally they don't often change that address if their parents still live at that same address where they are registered even if they no longer physically reside there.

• Like 1

Yellow for Foreigners

Blue for Thais

The books are a contain a list of the people who live and are registered at the address of the house

To add or delete a person the Head of the House present the book and the person comcerned at the Amphur

hgma you are probably correct but I never mentioned anything about property ownership. The OP wanted to know the difference between a Yellow and Blue Book.

AFAIK farangs always get (should have) the Yellow book whether they own or rent a property.

Thais will get the Blue Book to note their "principle" place of residence. Again it bears no relationship to whether they own or merely reside in that property/address.

Generally they don't often change that address if their parents still live at that same address where they are registered even if they no longer physically reside there.

I have been living in Thailand for over 20 years.

Never had a yellow book. Do I need one? For what?

It is not a house ownership book as stated, you can live in rented accom and get the owner to help get a yellow book

Does that mean even if you are the man on the house,(thai offcourse ) and your blue book show that, but the land where the house is built belongs to another person the owner of the land can tell you piss off and crush your house and build a new one?

My Thai wife and I have been together for 8 years and married for 3 years. We live in our Village in Central Thailand. She was married prior for 10 years, divorced for 10 years and have a daughter who lives with us, 19 years old. She bought a small piece of land (1 ngan) while she was still married and her ex-husbands name was included in the blue book. I built a house on the property 5 years ago and have a yellow book at that address. She tell me that her ex's name in the blue book is insignificant because he doesn't live around here (the parents do). Is this something I need to be concerned about?

It is not a house ownership book as stated, you can live in rented accom and get the owner to help get a yellow book

Does that mean even if you are the man on the house,(thai offcourse ) and your blue book show that, but the land where the house is built belongs to another person the owner of the land can tell you piss off and crush your house and build a new one?

Depends on the land arrangement. If he has a registered lease then he can't be kicked off the land legally and is (in theory) entitled to compensation for his building when the lease expires. The landowner could (in theory) offer 1000 baht for the building or tell him to get rid of it if the offer is turned down. Going to court is not a great recourse.

Blue book has nothing to do with ownership, its simply a record of who is living in the house at a given time. That said, a resident is not compelled to have his name in the blue book. My house was rented out to a falang and his Thai wife for three years but she declined having her name in the blue book but never told me why. As long as the rent was paid and the place kept in good shape I didn't care. Up to her.

It is one proof of address for a Thai who may want to vote locally, buy a vehicle, open or change a bank account etc.

Edited by johnnyk

The only benefit that I can see is that it has a use for 90 day reporting. Immigration now insist on 'proof of address'

They accept my book (which is actually Blue-my name is registered on the inside cover)

The only benefit that I can see is that it has a use for 90 day reporting. Immigration now insist on 'proof of address'

They accept my book (which is actually Blue-my name is registered on the inside cover)

Thank you Delight, for your answer.

Did a 90 day reporting a week ago. I only had to fill in a form, and bring passport copies.

Thank you Delight, for your answer.

Did a 90 day reporting a week ago. I only had to fill in a form, and bring passport copies.

Also handy when you renew a driving license and buy or sell a vehicle, no letter to certify residence required from Immigration, save 300.00Bt each time. Copy of Yellow book is suffice.

BW

Interesting...who is correct?

I bought a condo in BKK in the 49% foreigner quota. Paid in full with foreign-source funds. I received a Blue Book.

My friend, also a Foreigner, bought a house with land in Rayong with his Thai girlfriend. He received a Yellow Book.

Can anybody explain why so?

I bought a condo in BKK in the 49% foreigner quota. Paid in full with foreign-source funds. I received a Blue Book.

My friend, also a Foreigner, bought a house with land in Rayong with his Thai girlfriend. He received a Yellow Book.

You aren't actually registered in the blue book, but one will be issued to you regardless of nationality when you purchase a condo.

You aren't actually registered in the blue book, but one will be issued to you regardless of nationality when you purchase a condo.

You aren't actually issued a Blue Book, the condo is

Edited by Langsuan Man

You aren't actually issued a Blue Book, the condo is

That is a better way of putting it.

He might own the house but he can't own the land in his own name so I'm guessing she is the landowner. That would explain it.

• 5 months later...

I got a friend who is married to a thai lady he is the only source of income on the apartment they are now paying for the loan is in his wife's name can he get a yellow book and can he use that on his tax to lower his payment on tax a year please help he is stressing over this thanks.

Registering in the yellow book includes the registration of your person in the Thai citizen database.

Your name is transcribed to Thai, you get a unique ID starting with digit "6".

You can be handled like a Thai citizen (not using english script, passport numbers or the like).

This makes life easier at different government offices, banks, car dealers. You name it.

The visible difference between blue and yellow book (except for the color) is the header/footer on every page of the YB which states that only certain persons (incl. foreigners with temporary stay [without PR]) can be registered in the YB (the cateory "6" persons so to say).

The YB is always a dependent of the corresponding blue book (same house registration number).

No foreigner in a YB can have the status of a "master of the house".

More in this thread, the entry shows some details of the YB:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681733-yellow-book-the-chicken-or-the-egg/#entry7044394

Edited by KhunBENQ

Registering in the yellow book includes the registration of your person in the Thai citizen database.

Your name is transcribed to Thai, you get a unique ID starting with digit "6".

You can be handled like a Thai citizen (not using english script, passport numbers or the like).

This makes life easier at different government offices, banks, car dealers. You name it.

The visible difference between blue and yellow book (except for the color) is the header/footer on every page of the YB which states that only certain persons (incl. foreigners with temporary stay [without PR]) can be registered in the YB (the cateory "6" persons so to say).

The YB is always a dependent of the corresponding blue book (same house registration number).

No foreigner in a YB can have the status of a "master of the house".

More in this thread, the entry shows some details of the YB:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681733-yellow-book-the-chicken-or-the-egg/#entry7044394

You are correct every time I buy a car I will be able to use my Yellow Book. Every time I renew my 5 year drivers license I will be able to use my Yellow Book. Every time I do my 90 day report I can use my Yellow Book instead of a utility bill. Every time I apply for permanent residency I will be able to use my Yellow Book, OK.......... I just named it