Yellow Book the Chicken or the Egg

Having read the topic of Yellow Book.

I see in most of the comments you need a Marriage Certificate and a Non Imm - O visa with the new laws of obtaining a Non Imm - O it is harder to get one if you are under 50 and not married, so my thinking was to get married. (I know big step)

Well although I have been in the country for over 10 years I work outside the country, so no WP.

In the affirmation of freedom to marry you need your address and your have to put in the divorce papers with your affirmation which states you are free to marry.

If I am staying in Thailand will the British Embassy or the Thai Government as for my Yellow Book which I do not have yet.

Regars

Requirements definitely vary from location to location. When I got my Yellow Book during the first month the wife and I moved/retired to Thailand, the wife, me, and the Toyota Dealership salesman we had just bought our SUV from went to the khet (district) office here in Bangkok. Took along about every key document we had so we would be ready for whatever copy they asked for. Of course the office wanted to see my passport which had a Retirement O-A Visa in, the officer asked quite a few questions of the wife while making notes on the application form, like You are now living in/retired to Thailand now, Do you own or rent?, etc...etc.etc. Don't know how much of that was just chit-chat or questions which needed to be answered a certain way. If I remember right the office took copies of my passport, the wife's Thai ID card & maybe her Thai passport, our home's Blue Book which only had the wife's name in it, and "maybe" our Thai marriage certificate which was decades old. But as mentioned I doubt a marriage certificate is a requirement...but it may give the officer a little bit more of a warm fuzzy in approving the Yellow Book application. The Toyota Dealership guy was also vouching for me...saying how I was a great guy...of course we had just bought a new Fortuner through him...we are still friends till this day. About 2 hours later I left the officer with Yellow Book in hand...cost was some small admin fee around 50 baht or less.

So you came through quite easy. No additional translations necessary?

The marriage certificate contains your name in Thai, so this point is OK.

But what do the entries in the YB for father/mother show (first name, nationality)?

Or is it plain empty?

Usually they do not try English to Thai transcriptrion on their own.

Last week I went to get my 5 year driving licence and they wanted proof of residence, either a letter from immigration or the yellow book.

I did not fancy going to the corrupt immigration office at Kap Choeng so I said to the misses, lets go to the Amhpur and see what documents they need for the yellow book. Arrived there they said , if married, all we need is your passport (and a few copies) and the wife's id card ( I always have half a dozen passport-size photos in my wallet). And I had to write down the names of father and mother (in English). That was it ! after a few signatures and stamps , 20 minutes later I had my yellow book , costs zero baht. And another 30 minutes later I had my 5 year driving licence.

So before getting nervous about which documents are needed, just go to the Amphur and ask first.

you said we can get a citizen id, i have a yellow book but never ear about the citizen id? can you give more info please thank you.

Neither marriage nor WP are preconditions for a yellow book.

The yellow book is no more than a registration of your person in the Thailand citizen register incl. address.

Somewhat similar to registering a new born. You get a citizen ID (starting with digit "6").

A yellow book requires:

proof of adress

your name and other personal data (nationality, birthday, place of birth) in Thai language (transcription of your name to Thai script).

first name (and nationality) of your father and mother (all in Thai script).

The exact requirements to proof these data vary from Amphoe to Amphoe.

Usually you need:

a translation of your passort by a certified translator

a translation of your birth certificate by a certified translator

Proof of adress:

the blue book of the house you live (the yellow book will contain the identical house number as in the blue book).

Usually a letter from Immigration AND one or two Thai citizens as witnesses (!).

The witnesses have to countersign for your address that you actually live there (accompany you at the office).

The letter from Immigration is helpful, as they can also certify your visa/residential status (all in Thai script incl. address and all numbers etc.).

And yes: I assume you need at least a permitted to stay based on a Non O or an extension of stay.

What is exactly expected: go to the Amphoe and try to investigate.

About marriage certficate:

every registration of a marriage in Thailand incl. the translation of your name, so makes things easier with the YB.

Also your wife will probably be the housemaster in the blue book and might be good enough as a witness.

But not a sufficient reason to marry smile.png

See my post #5 (the scan of page 2 of the YB, page 2 is the first person entered in the housebook).

Entry marked "4" is your unique citizen ID. (a number starting with digit "6" for temporary staying foreigners.

Temporary: living on a visa or extension as most of us do.

This ID makes it easier for all offices to "manage your person".

Usually they have to use a passport number respectively and use your english script name.

With a YB they can use the citizen ID and your name in Thai script, which makes life easier for the officers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Maybe that is true, i also wondered why there are so many pages in the book, but then, how come I have the book and no one else ? Is it my book or not ?

Strictly legal: its not your book, but a house book listing all foreigners on temporary stay (visa or extension).

The book belongs to the house like the bluebook.

The bluebook can contain a number of Thai people living/registered on the address.

One person has the status of a "master" (of the house), but still its not "his" book.

Roles can change, people can leave the house (book),

Entry is then marked void.

Its "your" book in a sense that most YB contain only one foreigner.

But I think it is technically possible to enter more than one foreigner if they live on the same address.

The only visible differences between the books are:

* the color

* the form number of the document which is "13" for YB and "14" for bluebook (shown on the cover upper right).

* a header/footer on every page of the YB, A long text in Thai which seems to describe that only certain types of foreigners can be entered in such a book (I am currently trying hard to translate it).

Even in the original book some letters are hard to read.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Has anyone here managed to change the address in their yellow book if they move to another area?

I have a yellow book that I got from Amphur Meuang Udon Thani about 5 years ago. I have relocated to Nongplalai which falls under Amphur Banglamung, near Pattaya. Indirect inquiries indicates that the new Amphur is yellow book-friendly for qualified foreigners.

Assuming (?) one cannot legally have two yellow books; is there a procedure for transferring the existing book through endorsement by the Amphur in Udon that I have left that property and re-endorsement in Banglamung? Or do they cancel one and the whole application process repeated at the new place? Maybe they will issue a letter or something saying as much in lieu of a canceled yellow book which I would assume is surrendered?

Since the book is primarily linked to the property but links the foreigner by their unique alien ID number (starts with 6), maybe I just need to make sure that I have copies of the 'retired' one it so I don't need to supply all the paperwork again in Banglamung?

Anyone with relevant experience, please post your thoughts.

It is a breeze to cancel one house book and get a new house book when you move. The "old house book" office makes some notations in the book as I recall and then I brought the "canceled?" yellow house book to the proper office in the new city. I had a "permit to build" my wife had land papers, we had a "house number" so it took less than twenty minutes to print out the new, current address house book. I'm recall the new amphur office kept the "canceled" yellow house book.

The free yellow house book issued by a small town outside of Buriram City, was part of the documents I used this month to obtain the "Health Card for Foreigner" at the large Buriram Public Hospital. Perhaps one does not need the yellow house book, but I was able to apply for the 2800 baht a year "Health Card for Foreigner" and there was no doubt about my address due to that Yellow House Book. My marriage certificate was not part of the Health card application, my wife was not present, and I do not speak or understand nearly as much Thai as I should. But having the original and copies of the yellow house book seems to "calm" uneasy Thai officials, as they can work from a Thai Government Document all printed in Thai, so they are not forced to read English. This is but one of the many uses I think went smoother due to having a yellow house book.