Suggestions For Daytrips And Weekend Trips

thaibutty

What I really like about Phuket is the size of the island, the many backroads and lesser known sites, as well as the proximity to Phang Nga, Krabi and other provinces in Southern Thailand. I love to go out and explore new areas for a day or a weekend trip.

As I am sure that a lot of you guys have the same interest I thought that it would be nice to have a topic that lists suggestions for daytrips and weekend trips, both in Phuket and neighbouring provinces.

I´ll make a start:

- Koh Yao Yai

Unspoiled island just 1 hour from Phuket. Can be reached by car ferry once a day from the pier in Phuket town.
A few nice beaches, dirt roads, nice locals and all in all a totally different world to the touristic Phuket.

- Khao Sok and Rajjaphraba Dam
Nice for a few days in the jungle with waterfalls, trekking and beautiful scenery. If you´re diver, bringing a tank and gear to the lake is also a welcome change to the ocean diving. I had a few fantastic dives there, just be hiring a longtail driver and asking him to drop me at various places.

- Wat Tham Suea in Krabi

Temple in the forest, with around a 1000 stairs leading on top of a mountain with great views over Krabi province. The steps are getting quite steep at some times and it is hard work to get to the top, but it´s really worth it.

What other places and trips do you like to go?
I hope that this thread will bring out some great ideas for everyone without turning into the usual Phuket bashing and discussion about Tuk Tuk drivers.

"After a thorough research of the Phuket forum I have found that the best thing to do in Phuket recommended by only the most experienced Phuket experts available is...(drumroll please).: to stay at home!

It´s obvious isn´t it? You will not need to take a Tuk-Tuk, get ripped off with service charges, scammed by Jetski operators, no need for bribes to the BiB, no more overcrowded roads and beaches, don´t have to listen to Russians, no eyesores, such as unfinished buildings and garbage, no stray dogs......And the best of all you have enough time on your hand to spend all day in front of the computer to tell everyone what a craphole Phuket has become.

if this is not THE best thing to do in Phuket than what!?!?"

This is your post on the mentioned link provided by Old Croc. Seems you've changed ???

• Like 2

Khao Lak is a nice place to visit. There's not a lot to do or see there (so I've heard), especially in the low season, but the beach is very long. I must go back and have another look. I haven't been there since just after the tsunami.

Any Khao Lak residents, please feel free to correct my impressions of the place.

• Like 2

Khao Lak is a nice place to visit. There's not a lot to do or see there (so I've heard), especially in the low season, but the beach is very long. I must go back and have another look. I haven't been there since just after the tsunami.

Any Khao Lak residents, please feel free to correct my impressions of the place.

Always very quite in the low season. We stayed in a large scale quality hotel last week. 200 rooms, staff claimed 32 rooms booked, we hardly saw a person. Only at breakfast when the Chinese coach tour loaded up. Weather was dismal so the only activity of a beach holiday was not possible.

10 years ago the place had much more character with beach huts and chalets dotted about the beach strip. All that was washed away with the tsunami and never replaced. Only large scale concrete monoliths have been erected along the beach front.

Khao Lak is a great weekend getaway. Small, quiet, easy to get around. Some good food too. We went last low season, and had the beaches to ourselves. Granted, it did rain a bit, but overall it was a very relaxing weekend.

Geocaching: I did some of this back in Farangland. Great fun and a good way to see places most don't. Definetly on my list of things to do with the family in Phuket.

i just talked to my friend about the phang na bay kayak thing

he drove to Ao Luk and asked around for a kayak. he rented one for about 200baht for the day and went out on this canyon

8°15'10.01"N 98°43'34.38"E

he said it was fantastic, they paddled though a canyon with vertical walls 80m high. it was easy to get to, 20-30 mins paddling, no boat trips or anything required. he said weekends are busy with thai tourists but mid week is quiet

• Like 2

@shot: join to the geocaching club. Traditionally hkt83100 and I have been the two people who put the caches on the island. Now we are getting some more members.

Others info about geocaching in Phuket http://aopor.com/activities/geocaching

@stevehaig: Thanks for the kayaking info.

I have been trying to rent an kayak or canoe at Ao Por. Finally got an quotation, which was 500B per day. A bit costly, but maybe the price could be negotiated lower. My aim is to Paddle from Ao Por to Koh Rat and Koh Naka Yai. Not in this weather tough.

Koh Yao Noi is also a very nice place to spend a day or few. Easy access to Yao Noi and Yao Yai is to take an water bus from Bang Rong pier. Cost 120B/person one way.

Was showing a newbie to Phuket around yesterday, in the rain. Just showed him the southern part of the island. Funny, after being wet all day I actually was cold last night, threw on jeans and a sweatshirt.

For today I pointed him toward the Gibbon Rehabilitation Center then onto Bang Pae waterfall. That is sort of a neat part of the island and surely a contrast to where he is staying in Patong where a hockey stick could possibly be a good recommendation.

• Like 1

"After a thorough research of the Phuket forum I have found that the best thing to do in Phuket recommended by only the most experienced Phuket experts available is...(drumroll please).: to stay at home!

It´s obvious isn´t it? You will not need to take a Tuk-Tuk, get ripped off with service charges, scammed by Jetski operators, no need for bribes to the BiB, no more overcrowded roads and beaches, don´t have to listen to Russians, no eyesores, such as unfinished buildings and garbage, no stray dogs......And the best of all you have enough time on your hand to spend all day in front of the computer to tell everyone what a craphole Phuket has become.

if this is not THE best thing to do in Phuket than what!?!?"

This is your post on the mentioned link provided by Old Croc. Seems you've changed ???

Yes, this is my post on the other thread.

I haven´t changed! The mentioned post was supposed to be ironic. Maybe, as a non-native speaker that would be quite possible, I have failed to bring that across.

I have always liked it on Phuket and I´ve been living here full time since 2004. Sure there are a few negatives but I don´t have to spend the whole day complaining about things that I can´t change.

Khao Lak is a great weekend getaway. Small, quiet, easy to get around. Some good food too. We went last low season, and had the beaches to ourselves. Granted, it did rain a bit, but overall it was a very relaxing weekend.

Geocaching: I did some of this back in Farangland. Great fun and a good way to see places most don't. Definetly on my list of things to do with the family in Phuket.

Never actually stayed in Khao Lak overnight. But the area is nice with the mountain roads and a few waterfalls. I like Lampi waterfall in the Lampi NP, in lowseason they usually also don´t charge any entrance fee.

Apart from the beaches, Khao Lak's biggest attraction is the natural scenery surrounding it. There are a lot of waterfalls in the rain forest just behind the coastal strip, off the beaten track bays, and an island close to the mainland which is not so well known. There is great stuff you can do with a car or a motorcycle.

I would recommend Chong Fah waterfall, Pakkarang Cape, White Sand (AoThong) Beach, Poseidon Beach, Sai Rung waterfall, and the island of Koh Kaw Khao. Old Takua Pa should not be forgotten. It is a few kilometers from new Takua Pa, it still has city walls, architecture similar to Phuket Town, and generally looks like Thai cities used to look 25 years ago.

There are plenty of hotels in Khao Lak, varying from 150 Baht a night dormitories to places costing tens of thousands of Baht per night, for those who like to live in style. There are lots of restaurants, and plenty of bars, most of them low key affairs.

Khao Lak is very much spread out. Driving/riding up from Phuket, first you pass through the original village of Khao Lak (The Merlin Hotel stands out), then across the hill you get to Nang Tong Beach, 3 km further there is Bang Niang Beach, and again further up the road Bang Sak beach. Nang Tong (also referred to as Khao Lak Town center) and almost equally big Bang Niang have the most facilities.

As far as day trips from Phuket are concerned, I think I should also mention Sri Phangnga national park, geographically similar to Khao Sok but far less known. It is not so far from Takua Pa, you have to follow the road to Ranong. Worthwhile also is Wat Bang Riang on top of a hill 12 km from Thap Phut, it offers a breathtaking view. To go there from Phuket, you have to go to Pnangnga Town first, and then follow signs saying Krabi.

Was showing a newbie to Phuket around yesterday, in the rain. Just showed him the southern part of the island. Funny, after being wet all day I actually was cold last night, threw on jeans and a sweatshirt.

For today I pointed him toward the Gibbon Rehabilitation Center then onto Bang Pae waterfall. That is sort of a neat part of the island and surely a contrast to where he is staying in Patong where a hockey stick could possibly be a good recommendation.

@shot: join to the geocaching club. Traditionally hkt83100 and I have been the two people who put the caches on the island. Now we are getting some more members.

Others info about geocaching in Phuket http://aopor.com/activities/geocaching

@stevehaig: Thanks for the kayaking info.

I have been trying to rent an kayak or canoe at Ao Por. Finally got an quotation, which was 500B per day. A bit costly, but maybe the price could be negotiated lower. My aim is to Paddle from Ao Por to Koh Rat and Koh Naka Yai. Not in this weather tough.

Koh Yao Noi is also a very nice place to spend a day or few. Easy access to Yao Noi and Yao Yai is to take an water bus from Bang Rong pier. Cost 120B/person one way.

@keeshta

Great info on Khao Lak, some very nice suggestions that I need to try out.

@oilinki

The Geocaching seems very interesting and I´ll definitely look further into that, thanks for that!

@grumpyoldman

I like that area too. There is a path that´s leading from Bang pae waterfall to TonSai waterfall, which is nice enough. The waterfalls are nothing spectacular but are worth a trip specially at the end of the rainy season.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I went to geocaching trip and tried to locate an cache there (it was gone unfortunately). Anyway, even if I have lived on this island quite a long time, I had never really visited Wat Chalong before. It's actually nice place with beautiful buildings.

Here is some photos of the place: https://picasaweb.google.com/oilinki/2013WatChalong

On the third floor of the tower temple, there is items stored inside of the glass. When asked from locals, they said that these are teeth relics of Sri Lankan monks.

On the way around, I had to stop to take photos of great sunset from Big Buddha towards Kata. I did wait for too long and got soaked by the incoming rain.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/x2YWhMHqEuaQHKyIpTtG3tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink