Thai Tourist Dies In Boating “Incident” Off Jomtien Beach

Rimmer

When they said boating accident in Jomtien, I was thinking that the idiots putting the boats in the water or taking them out hit someone.

So when I heard it was in the water. Now, I really don't believe the guy, because, those guys wouldn't care if they hit something or not out there.

But if he saw the guy he most likely aimed his boat at him, then yes I believe he would stop, just to see if he did enough damage. They know they won't get in trouble so there is no need to run.

Like I said if he didn't already know it was a human he hit he wouldn't of stopped until he got to shore, so he knew he hit a human.coffee1.gif

I 'love' how these stories evolve.

First article: "There was a visible injury to his ear which is thought to have been caused by the rotor blade from the speedboat engine, but no other injuries to explain the reason why he was not breathing as he was pulled from the water seconds after the crash."

Second article: "It was reported that his left ear was torn and that he was bleeding heavily. Doctors tried to pump his heart, but the injuries were so severe that he couldn’t endure the pain."

The first one makes it sound like a pretty minor injury, hence the mystery as to whether he was alive or dead before collision. [Yeah, right]. The second one makes it clear that these were pretty devastating injuries that the victim suffered. I am really starting to suspect that he had not died of a heart attack before "he hit the boat". whistling.gif

When are these brilliant people going to get a clue that boats and swimmers should not be in the same area? How many more tourists have to die before swimming areas are set up on all beaches or boats banned from beaches? I guess quite a few more as this just keeps happening without any change.

Money number one, they want to make a living, they do not have insurance i suspect.When Thailand passes a law abut accountability then they may be change, but don't hold your breath.

Good point. But first off, the folk who propose and pass the laws need to be resposible AND accountable. I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Dap

I 'love' how these stories evolve.

First article: "There was a visible injury to his ear which is thought to havewai.gif

Second article: "It was reported that his left ear was torn and that he was bleeding heavily. Doctors tried to pump his heart, but the injuries were so severe that he couldn’t endure the pain."

The first one makes it sound like a pretty minor injury, hence the mystery as to whether he was alive or dead before collision. [Yeah, right]. The second one makes it clear that these were pretty devastating injuries that the victim suffered. I am really starting to suspect that he had not died of a heart attack before "he hit the boat". Or a trainwhistling.gif

Or a train that has hit you from behind..and lost your leg!...Just smile for the camera when you are lying down there for the BiB folks..standard procedure in the Land of Smiles....

When I have been in Jomtien I have seen large swimming areas cordoned off, I assume it was like this where the accident happened...

At least the driver didn't take off and stayed to answer questions.

Uk is just as bad, any fool can buy and operate a boat without a license. Never understand why you need a license for a scooter but you can tool about in a 40 foot power cruiser with no regulation.

Hopefully we will come into line with the rest of Europe, only just out of the news here in the UK was the runaway boat disaster 3 weeks ago the killed a top TV executive and his 8 year old daughter, and left his wife and son with "life changing" leg injuries after they were all thrown in the water and the boat continued circling and running over them many times because the driver failed to use a kill cord.

That was his choice, he chose not to use a kill cord - bad decision - but we certainly don't want even more laws to curb personal freedom. Personally, I don't want to ever see Thailand become like Europe, I don't want a "Nanny State" I don't want laws controlling every action trying to control anything you want to say, people are responsible for their own actions, we do not need to be treated like 5 year olds, that is one of the reasons I like Thailand. It will be a very very black day if ever this country has the same idiotic laws that prevail in Europe that prevent your freedom to do what you want (within reason). A Brussels version of Thailand? No thanks! I can well do without that garbage!

Yeah I agree, remember the good old days where all those people died going through windscreens before seat belts were compulsory? Oh how we laughed.

Agreed. Big difference between requiring licenses (especially for boat 'captains' that are acting in a commercial interest) and being a Nanny state. Licenses also have the effect of educating operators about safety, rules, how to operate a boat correctly, passing etc. The problem is, even if Thailand had licensing requirements they would be a joke the same as the driving ones.

However, licenses are NOT a bad thing and should be correctly controlled, ESPECIALLY for commercial operators.

• Like 1

Last yr I was at jomtien and swam out to the safety rope and watched the boats drive by. One driver that had 2 russian kids on the back was speeding along and didnt notice that 1 fell off. The kid remaining on the rubber thing was screaming out but the driver had no idea. The swell was dangerous as well and it was at least 500m later that finally the stupid driver turned around. Lucky the kid did not drown

They aren't sure if he wasn't already dead before the boat struck him?

Wat? How many dead bodies are usually floating off Jomtien beach?

Three or four, to judge by local news reports, usually dead Cambodian fishermen.

Again another boat hits a tourist and again nothing will be done.

In Koh Sak and Koh Larn the risk of these idiot Jetskis and speedboat hitting not just swimmers but divers is huge. (Actually if you look into the history of these accidents it has happened quite often)

Many time our team have surfaced only to be narrowly missed by a speedboat.

There should be buoys that indicate boat and jetski speed near the the coastline and marine police should be there to monitor the problem and hand out fines for any boat drivers/jetski drivers that break the rules.

It's quite simple to stop these accidents but I am sure it's going to be business as usual !

Why would you surface away from the dive boat especially here with all the idiots at the command of the speedboats and jetskis ?

In Koh Sak and Koh Larn the risk of these idiot Jetskis and speedboat hitting not just swimmers but divers is huge. (Actually if you look into the history of these accidents it has happened quite often)

There should be buoys that indicate boat and jetski speed near the the coastline and marine police should be there to monitor the problem and hand out fines for any boat drivers/jetski drivers that break the rules.

It's quite simple to stop these accidents but I am sure it's going to be business as usual !

The Marine police will probable start fining divers for not deploying SMB's before surfacing, yet put up a SMB and those no brainers on jet skis will just start circling them at speed.

The Marine police will probable start fining divers for not deploying SMB's before surfacing, yet put up a SMB and those no brainers on jet skis will just start circling them at speed.

Or start fighting amongst themselves over who saw it first and who gets it !

It seams to me that none of these boat operators hold any qualifications in boat safety, navigation, responsibility,hence the frequent collisions,accidents etc. W hy doesn't the government properly train these operators with a diploma or annual certificate with refresher tests, first aid cert. should also be compulsory.

Rods songhklasid

>>>

Police are unsure if the man had already died before the collision or if the collision with the boat killed him.

>>>

>>>

He claimed not to have seen the object which he soon found out was Khun Pitak who was pulled unconscious from the water.

>>>

Since unconscious is not dead, the statement about the police makes no sense whatsoever.

TL

Priceless! Absolutely priceless!clap2.gif Even I missed that one. Well done!clap2.gif

Change the way the swimming-areas in the sea are being used by swimmers and speedboats.

Change the way people behave in traffic.

Change the way Bangkok Pattaya Hospital charges her fees.

Change the way Thais think about mutual respect.

Change the way Thais deal with politics.

Change the way Thailand and their Thais deal with finances.

Change........

Change.........

Change why? Isn't all those crap the reason for us being here?

That's what Thailand makes Thailand!

was opposite Mikes 2 days ago when one of the scammers was racing along close to the beach then at high speed turned in behind a parked tourist boat and up onto the sand. he had no idea if anyone was swimming behind the boat because it was blocking his view and he was going too fast to stop. in fact 5 minutes before there had been a Thai family swimming there. these deaths will continue unfortunately

Edited by wwex

Change the way the swimming-areas in the sea are being used by swimmers and speedboats.

Change........

Change.........

So you are here because of the way people behave in traffic.

• Like 1

Change........

Change.........

Another quality tourist. NOT.

• Like 2

"They aren't sure if he wasn't already dead before the boat struck him?

Wat? How many dead bodies are usually floating off Jomtien beach?"

To answer your question: I walk the beach every day, and usually see no more than one or two, three tops, but that was a four day weekend.

"he felt something hit his boat"... interesting phrasing. Or, more accurately, he hit a swimmer with his motor-powered boat.

The only thing that surprises me is that this kind of story isn't more common. Particularly in Pattaya, but in Jomtien as well, it's either speedboats driving back to shore too fast with nobody spotting up front, or the jet-ski idiot owners screaming up and down 2 meters from the shoreline trying to entice tourists to go for a ride. I'm surprised there aren't a few fatal collisions a week.