Went To The Market Today... 100% Increase....

pattayadingo

Bravo! Don't pay it!!! You will find the same with someone else! If we stop paying, they will lower their price!!!

No they won't, they will move to another market or change business. While you want their product but have to do without. Smart, huh.

Well, at least the OP is 40b richer than he would be otherwise.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Increase of total good as sold could well be 100%.

Increase of cost on product, rent, secondary product such as charcoal, transport etc could easily total 100% of the final selling price, not to mention the fall in QoL since previous profits cannot purchase what they used to.

Way to freak out OP.

• Like 1

Must be really angry to start a thread over 20 baht!

I always wonder about comments like these. I wonder how many people out there really are so stupid that they think its about 20 baht or whatever and fail to see the bigger point being made. Then i also wonder, if there are enough idiots out there then you end up with one vendor after another doubling their prices as there are enough morons who just put up with it. What happens if you find these chicke liver sticks are 100% higher even though its just 20baht, but then the beer is 100% higher, then the grocery shopping is 100% higher, then the water/electric bill is 100% higher etc etc, until your total cost of living is 100% higher. But with your savings/income the same as before, you are then 50% poorer. Do these morons then say, no worries, only 50% poorer?

Does the significance really need to be explained?

Yeah the sky is falling in and the end of the world is coming.

How annoying is it that you need to start a thread on it.

Seems like you the OP and others have their priorities out of whack.

Yes the price has gone up and it is double meaning that it will now cost 40baht instead of 20baht.

Maybe we should have a national inquiry. Maybe we should boycott all these vendors. Or maybe we should march on city hall and demand action from the Mayor.

First, I am not the OP, but I agree with his objection.

Second, do you still not get it?

I only hope there are enough sensible and intelligent people around to have the common sense to walk away from vendors that decide they can get away with such huge price gouging. Prices of chicken, liver, cooking oil etc haven't doubled, so why the hell does he think he can get away with doubling his prices together with the other greedy vendors in their horrible little price fixing cartel? I will give you the answer, its because he thinks there are enough stupid mugs out there to pay him.

The difference between a nice world where we can all live well and one where we all suffer from hyperinflation is just about having enough people who say no, as opposed to the idiots that just pay up like mugs.

• Like 1

Surely it's the absolute increment amount not the percentage that is important ?

Even 1 baht expressed as a percentage of a 5 baht chicken liver (20%) seems high but not as as an absolute amount.

Relating that percentage to a much higher starting price than this instance is specious at best.

It's good to get to the heart of the real issues in Pattaya, isnt it ? If not the heart, then at least the liver ;)

Personally, 10 baht is a pittance, but I guess if we all adopt that attitude it will be 20 baht in a heartbeat : not long before you are paying Sydney/London prices.

• Like 1

It's good to get to the heart of the real issues in Pattaya, isnt it ? If not the heart, then at least the liver ;)

Personally, 10 baht is a pittance, but I guess if we all adopt that attitude it will be 20 baht in a heartbeat : not long before you are paying Sydney/London prices.

Very well put and is already in practice .

With food I do not think it will get out of control as majority of consumers are Thai , however look at prices in the bar for a company. They are asking almost same as back home. 2000-4000 for short visit.

Prices did not go up because their panties cost more, but because punters were willing to pay

• Like 2

should the vendor at market rise price from 5 baht to 7, or 9 maybe? Have you seen items that cost 7 baht or 8 baht at market or street vendors, no. Stuff is usually rounded to next 5 or 0.

What it cost of matches in 711 is raised form 1 baht to 2 baht, that is 100% rise, yes? Should we freak out then too?

• Like 1

It's good to get to the heart of the real issues in Pattaya, isnt it ? If not the heart, then at least the liver wink.png

Are small chicken parts sold on a bar-b-que stick in Sydney and London? 555

Actually I understand the point the OP is making in terms of a drastic percentage increase. On the other hand, the only places where I'm familiar with satang price increments is supermarkets and the such. I'm not aware of the Missus buying any stall food and paying 8 or 16 satang. Its always been on 5 baht increments as far as I can remember it.

• Like 1

I am supposing that these sticks have been 5 baht for some years, so you've really had a great deal for some time. 4 years ago should have been 6 baht, 3 years 7 baht, etc. They have just waited for the price rise to match the coins in your pocket without the need for a calculator.

I would say you are lucky to get them at that price. I was back in Isaan in the village last week. Liver on a stick was 10 baht and a portion of sticky rice was 10 baht, and my missus says they have been that price for a least a year.

My wife has a small chicken shack out here in our semi-rural neighborhood...she has been complaining that everything costs more & resisted raising her prices...but as she makes such a small profit on the chicken pieces that she must clean, prepare that she had to raise the price or she would be losing money on each sale.

I would say you are lucky to get them at that price. I was back in Isaan in the village last week. Liver on a stick was 10 baht and a portion of sticky rice was 10 baht, and my missus says they have been that price for a least a year.

My wife has a small chicken shack out here in our semi-rural neighborhood...she has been complaining that everything costs more & resisted raising her prices...but as she makes such a small profit on the chicken pieces that she must clean, prepare that she had to raise the price or she would be losing money on each sale.

I do not have a problem with paying increased prices that are relative but 100% is way over the top.

Craig, I can understand her need to raise prices, so why does she not do so? Say by 10 or 20% Baht or will the locals no longer buy at that price?

hellyes, everywhere else I go in Pattaya we pay 5 Baht for sticky rice and 5 Baht for the snacks on a stick. Both the rice and snacks have reduced in size as opposed to having a price increase. I don't really find that is a problem. The chicken ones used to have 5 pieces and now have 4 in many cases.

A lot of products do tend to reduce in size, be it a packet of crisps or whatever and remain at the same price, that in itself is a price increase and is acceptable but if they reduced the size and doubled the price, that I do find unacceptable and would not buy such a product.

To those in general, yes, I vote with my feet when I feel I am being ripped off or I feel I am being quoted a 'Farang price'.

Does it make a difference? Maybe not to the vendor in question, but it does to me and it makes a difference to a lot of people I know.

A certain bar many of us used to frequent raised their prices by 10% and their customer base has dropped right off in the week. It makes you wonder if price increases are a negative.

If, as mentioned in another post, a vendor raised his price by 5 Baht, I find that is reasonable, especially as base prices do seem to be rising, yet if that vendor suddenly raised his price from 25 Baht to 50 Baht, you can bet his customer base would soon fall right off.

Increases are fine, price doubling is not and I don't care if it is only from 5 Baht to 10 Baht. If more people voted with their feet and their wallets, they would reconsider the scale of the rise and that is what the topic is about :)

• Like 2

It's good to get to the heart of the real issues in Pattaya, isnt it ? If not the heart, then at least the liver wink.png

With food I do not think it will get out of control as majority of consumers are Thai , however look at prices in the bar for a company. They are asking almost same as back home. 2000-4000 for short visit.

Prices did not go up because their panties cost more, but because punters were willing to pay

Pray tell, which bars are these to which you refer. Alarm and despondency spreading in the Central Plain area.

should the vendor at market rise price from 5 baht to 7, or 9 maybe? Have you seen items that cost 7 baht or 8 baht at market or street vendors, no. Stuff is usually rounded to next 5 or 0.

Well they could give a few pieces more for rounding-off.

lemoncake, chicken liver stick price increased 5 baht. That is all that happened. If you say 'Oh, the price of food doubled', sure that sounds horrible. But since the chicken liver was only 5 baht, maybe new cost of 10 baht isn't all that outrageous?

You earlier posted how we wouldn't like if cost of beer at 7/11 went from 30 to 60. Of course we wouldn't . But that is not a fair example, cos if beer goes from 30 to 35, increase of 5 baht, we would not panic, and that happens all the time to cost of things. Chicken guy also raised the price by 5 baht.

When i say 'I can't believe we are discussing this' it was a reply to poster who suggested maybe chicken liver vendor should give us few more peaces of liver, since he raised the price to 10 baht.

• Like 1

Are small chicken parts sold on a bar-b-que stick in Sydney and London? 555

Actually I understand the point the OP is making in terms of a drastic percentage increase. On the other hand, the only places where I'm familiar with satang price increments is supermarkets and the such. I'm not aware of the Missus buying any stall food and paying 8 or 16 satang. Its always been on 5 baht increments as far as I can remember it.

Yep - you can get chicken-on-stick here, but it wont be offal and it WILL be expensive, No shortage of offal (and God-knows-what-else ..) in our 'meat' pies. We also have something balled a 'Chiko roll' which has tasted exactly the same for over 30 years, but no-one seems to know exactly what's in the thing. Always amused when people admit they can only eat a kebab when drunk - I've eaten far worse in Sydney and Brisbane at 2am ;)

I cant believe we are talking about this

i can not believe you felt the need to make a post like this

I can't believe you took time to post an answer cheesy.gif

Edited by yoslim
  • Like 1

lemoncake, chicken liver stick price increased 5 baht. That is all that happened. If you say 'Oh, the price of food doubled', sure that sounds horrible. But since the chicken liver was only 5 baht, maybe new cost of 10 baht isn't all that outrageous?

You earlier posted how we wouldn't like if cost of beer at 7/11 went from 30 to 60. Of course we wouldn't . But that is not a fair example, cos if beer goes from 30 to 35, increase of 5 baht, we would not panic, and that happens all the time to cost of things. Chicken guy also raised the price by 5 baht.

When i say 'I can't believe we are discussing this' it was a reply to poster who suggested maybe chicken liver vendor should give us few more peaces of liver, since he raised the price to 10 baht.

you seem to fail to understand the matter at hand. OP is not complaining about the 5 baht, no doubt its not going to break his bank.

Point he is making is price doubled.

My examples are fair examples because the % increase is the same, the actual amount is not the issue in this discussion. and OP

I have no problem with price increases, but reasonable %, they could have done 2 for 15 or put more livers and charge more or put less and charge same.

Point of the whole thread if i understood OP correctly is that they just double the price, and while the amounts are small it is still a double.

• Like 1

I cant believe we are talking about this

i can not believe you felt the need to make a post like this

I can't believe you took time to post an answer cheesy.gif

I can not believe you posted an answer to my answerclap2.gif , is soi 6 slow today?biggrin.png

• Like 1

Actually, you said:

Have you seen items that cost 7 baht or 8 baht at market or street vendors, no. Stuff is usually rounded to next 5 or 0.

So, I suggested they should give the OP more chicken pieces for the extra rounded-off charge.

Wow, these people still don't get it. Look, its about hyperinflation, its allowing prices to go out of control because too many numb skulls just go ahead and pay whatever these jumped up little street vendors decide they deserve.

You say just 5 baht. But its an extra 5 baht for a bite. These are bite sized snacks. They just doubled the price. If you went to a bar and they said, "hello falang, now you pay for beer by sip, okay mister? One sip 5 baht, ok mister"? Then, as its just 5 baht per sip, they tell you the next day "hey falang, i must to put up my price today, now 10 baht, okay mister falang? you very rich and thailand very cheap, now one sip 10 baht, very cheap, okay mister...you pay 10 baht or you get out my bar and I boxing you".

Still okay, just 5 baht extra per sip. is that OK?

And by the way, its not just 5 baht sticks. Last time I was in Pattaya a little place in Soi Post Office raised its chicken fried rice price from 30 baht to 60 baht. I got caught once, never again, they aren't the Marriot, they are a little side street Thai style restaurant. If enough people vote with their feet and don't go back then maybe they won't be so quick to hike their prices again, they might even put them back down again. On the other hand if every idiot falang just pays up then every place wil also raise their price to 60 baht and before you know it it they will find some lame excuse to hike again and it will be 100 and then 150 in a couple of years or so. Price rises in Thailand and especially Pattaya have been huge in the past decade and its all because idiots have been alkowing them to get away with it.

Now do you get it?

• Like 1

Buy a grill and get your GF to do the cooking, is it that hard to grill a few sticks of meat ? Lazy people always get overcharged whistling.gif

and honour the chickens of thy neighbour. steal them and grill them wink.png

• Like 1