Suse 9.1

rcm

hi there,

I got on my Laptop Suse 9.1 . Now i did an online update, and since i did that, i can not install/remove software with Yast . In fact anything that is in Yast's" Software "Category doesn't open....is there another Program preventing this to open? Any advice on this?

Thank you,

rcm

:o

Ouch, bad surprise. But I'm sure francois, our "Suse expert" will pay attention to your post.

If not already resolved. Do you try to update Yast, or logout-login, reboot ? As I don't know this utility, it's just an idea. :o I hope you can resolve this problem anyway. :D

yes, it is strange that after updating , this occured...but i use this Laptop merely to try on Linux...so no real damage workwise...

what i find also strange, on suse 9.1 i am able to get easily connected to my Wlan (atheros Wireless LAN on my Laptop) ,with Suse 10 i didn't get it to work...

well i hope francois can help me here...

thanks in advance,

rcm :o

yes, it is strange that after updating , this occured...but i use this Laptop merely to try on Linux...so no real damage workwise...

what i find also strange, on suse 9.1 i am able to get easily connected to my Wlan (atheros Wireless LAN on my Laptop) ,with Suse 10 i didn't get it to work...

thanks in advance,

hi'

well, well ...

Suse 9.1 hmm hmm, I had some bugs, with YaST also :D

I can only confirm what you say, I found no way to repair it other than upgrade to version 10, and it's all working now, before it was closing or freezing randomly:)

the problem is; from which source did you download these updates, security only?, you could try to update available package ( or may be it's what you did)

did you try to check that it was installed alright?

which way did you do it?

security, patches you, all updates, else..?

can you make a search with YaST and see?

you need to update YaST alone and reboot X ...

or upgrade to version 10 and plug an usb wifi key before install, it should work, don't forget to disable the wifi you have on the laptop before install too, on the screen install or update, choose update :D

if nothing go well, well, as many of us many times(geez I can' count how many re-install I did before to get something, long way to learn when alone..), re-install the OS ...

keep your home partition and don't format it!

I'm doing an upgrade by now, downloading fast as usual :D

some pgp security stuff, image magic, amarok, and a kinda windos stuff, may be it'll be easier to share folders between the 2 OS ... I'll tell you :D

francois

Edited by francois

thanks in advance,

hi'

well, well ...

Suse 9.1 hmm hmm, I had some bugs, with YaST also :D

I can only confirm what you say, I found no way to repair it other than upgrade to version 10, and it's all working now, before it was closing or freezing randomly:)

the problem is; from which source did you download these updates, security only?, you could try to update available package ( or may be it's what you did)

did you try to check that it was installed alright?

which way did you do it?

security, patches you, all updates, else..?

can you make a search with YaST and see?

you need to update YaST alone and reboot X ...

or upgrade to version 10 and plug an usb wifi key before install, it should work, don't forget to disable the wifi you have on the laptop before install too, on the screen install or update, choose update :D

if nothing go well, well, as many of us many times(geez I can' count how many re-install I did before to get something, long way to learn when alone..), re-install the OS ...

keep your home partition and don't format it!

I'm doing an upgrade by now, downloading fast as usual :D

some pgp security stuff, image magic, amarok, and a kinda windos stuff, may be it'll be easier to share folders between the 2 OS ... I'll tell you :D

francois

Hi Francois,

Thanks for the advise....i did re install suse 9.1 again and only got the nvidia graphic driver as update ( for the 3d acceleration). Yes, i am all alone in my learning about Linux too, and re install many different applications from Linux (even tried Solaris 10-which isn't linux but was worth a try anyways...) and i can say that i spend more time on Linux installing and reinstalling than actually using it....but i guess if everything works rightaway than it would be boring .

The source i took the update from was on Yast's Online Update on their US Server. So i took all the available updates and installed....that proofed to be the wrong thing.

So i 'll try to update to Suse 10 now. lets hope this works now....

Next challenge will be how can i share folders with my other (windows ) Machines on the Wirless network....any ideas?

thank you,

rcm :D

hi'

Next challenge will be how can i share folders with my other (windows ) Machines on the Wirless network....any ideas?

you need to learn how to dance samba :D

samba, the unique platform to be in contact with windoz, read the how_to, you should have it install as client by default.

YaST again, and samba configuration ...

I leave the rest to you, you need to see by yourself, but don't worry, nothing impossible, may be a hint :o , write down the path of the windoz folder or drive you want to share respecting the linux denomination for the drive, hda, hdb etc ...

a lots of pages on the net about samba and it's configuration :D

francois

Edited by francois

re ..

forgot the wireless, set it as a lan connection, IP, gateway and dns :o

francois

Hi there,

Got the Samba now ...it works fine, but i never resolved the issue about suse 10 and my Wlan....so i stayed on suse 9.1 and hope suse 10.1 (or whatever comes out next) works with my hardware than....

thanks ,

rcm