Australian Passport Renewal At Bangkok

Could some one tell me how long it takes to renew an existing, current, Australian passport at the Aust Emb Bangkok please. From time of submission and payment until when I can expect to have it in my hand? Do they do it on the 'premises' or send the app to Aust?

Everything is in order ready for submission.

Should I be aware of any 'surprises' that may await me.

I tried ringing the consulate, but I am sure you know the drill - Press 1, Press 2, etc., etc., we'll get back to you....

I have recently renewed. They send to Oz and back within 10 days.

thanks mate, that's what I was after, a voice of experience from someone who has been there, done that.

It is not that I don't believe what the Australian Government tells me ....

The 10 days is a conservative estimate. In theory, it will be quicker. I had a passport renewal turned around and in my hands in 5 working days.

I've renewed by passport three times through the Bkk embassy.

All three times they called me to come in and pick it up (on Sathorn Road)

within 4 to 5 working days after submission.

And every submission was quick and pleasant.

• Like 1

I had mine renewed at the High Commission in Kuala Lumpur. Same deal, promised in 10 days but back in 5, and the staff very cooperative. If you pay a higher fee in Australia you can get back in 1 day but not sure if this works overseas.

Renewed always at BKK embassy about 10 days. But you will have to pick up the new p/p. If request mailing to you you have to leave the old one there so you will be a few days without a p/p and you also will have to get your visa transferred

i recently renewed

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Renewal/index.aspx

1 No appointment is necessary, just turn up.

2 Credit cards are not acceptable, fees must be paid in Thai baht, just over7,100 Thai baht for a 10 year re-newal, the same price you'd pay in Australia.

3 Make certain you have passport quality photos.

4 It's possible to download a pre-filled in application form from the net if you provide your old passport details. But don't bother, the Consular staff will do this for you; all details are filled in, all you have to do is sign it.

5 They guarantee the new passport can be picked up in two weeks. But evidently,it usually is ready a bit before two weeks.

The photos you present with your application
should be between 35mm(1 3/8") - 40mm(1 9/16" ) wide x 45mm (1 3/4")- 50mm (1 15/16") high

Australian
Embassy
. Thailand. Embassy address: 37 South Sathorn
Road, Bangkok - Telephone: 02 344 6300

Edited by wombat

I renewed mine a year or so ago, the day I submitted it was the day that they grounded all QANTAS flights, I couldn't afford any delays as I was flying out 14 days after lodging it, they cut the front cover in half and stamped it as invalid, so I was without a passport until the new one arrived. The new one showed up in my letter box in Pattaya 7 days later.

I also applied for an Aussie passport for my daughter late last year, that arrived in my letterbox in 6 days.

The 10 days is a conservative estimate. In theory, it will be quicker. I had a passport renewal turned around and in my hands in 5 working days.

Is that 30 years of renewals?

I renewed mine a year or so ago, the day I submitted it was the day that they grounded all QANTAS flights, I couldn't afford any delays as I was flying out 14 days after lodging it, they cut the front cover in half and stamped it as invalid, so I was without a passport until the new one arrived. The new one showed up in my letter box in Pattaya 7 days later.

I also applied for an Aussie passport for my daughter late last year, that arrived in my letterbox in 6 days.

How frustrating. I think this has changed. Either they now let you keep the old one while the new one is being processed or this varies depending on the officer you talk to. I went to renew my in BKK in October. I needed to travel so they let me keep the old one while the new one was being processed. Then when I returned to the embassy after my trip i handed over the old one for the "chop" and they handed me the new one.

How frustrating. I think this has changed. Either they now let you keep the old one while the new one is being processed or this varies depending on the officer you talk to. I went to renew my in BKK in October. I needed to travel so they let me keep the old one while the new one was being processed. Then when I returned to the embassy after my trip i handed over the old one for the "chop" and they handed me the new one.

If you elect to have the new passport posted to you they cut the old one, if you choose to pick-up the new passport in person they do not cut the old one (they cut it when you collect new one).

Is that 30 years of renewals?

Yes.

Been in Thailand well over 30 years, attained Thai PR a long long time ago.

i recently renewed

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Renewal/index.aspx

1 No appointment is necessary, just turn up.

2 Credit cards are not acceptable, fees must be paid in Thai baht, just over7,100 Thai baht for a 10 year re-newal, the same price you'd pay in Australia.

3 Make certain you have passport quality photos.

4 It's possible to download a pre-filled in application form from the net if you provide your old passport details. But don't bother, the Consular staff will do this for you; all details are filled in, all you have to do is sign it.

5 They guarantee the new passport can be picked up in two weeks. But evidently,it usually is ready a bit before two weeks.

The photos you present with your application

should be between 35mm(1 3/8") - 40mm(1 9/16" ) wide x 45mm (1 3/4")- 50mm (1 15/16") high

Australian

Embassy. Thailand. Embassy address: 37 South Sathorn

Road, Bangkok - Telephone: 02 344 6300

Also worth looking at the website to know what background colour etc., is acceptable as well as the size requirements.

Just did mine yesterday. In and out in a matter of minutes. Even though it was between 1200-1300, the traditional Thai Lunch Hour. They wrote on the back of the receipt for the Baht 7,110 fee, a delivery date of June 12th. Which is more than 10 days. Perhaps they are just being conservative in their ETD. They asked if I wanted it sent, or did I want to pick up. I elected to pickup.

The only hiccup, if you could call it that, is that they wanted 3 photos instead of 2. But I was ready for that and took spares.

All in all. Painless.

Just did mine yesterday. In and out in a matter of minutes. Even though it was between 1200-1300, the traditional Thai Lunch Hour. They wrote on the back of the receipt for the Baht 7,110 fee, a delivery date of June 12th. Which is more than 10 days. Perhaps they are just being conservative in their ETD. They asked if I wanted it sent, or did I want to pick up. I elected to pickup.

The only hiccup, if you could call it that, is that they wanted 3 photos instead of 2. But I was ready for that and took spares.

All in all. Painless.

10 working days. So that is spot on...