Phuket: Brakeless Truck Crashes On Patong Hill

webfact

Phuket: Brakeless truck crashes on Patong Hill
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1369643048_1.jpg
The smashed truck. Photo: Golf Thairath

PHUKET: -- A 10-wheel truck ran out of control at the bottom of Patong Hill on the Patong side this morning (May 27) after its brakes failed.

Thankfully, it did not collide with any other vehicle, but smashed into a billboard opposite Wat Suwankiriwong Temple and ended hanging half off the road in a place where it did not even block traffic. The driver was unhurt.

Kathu police had to bring up another truck to take the cargo off the wrecked truck, which will remain where it crashed until sufficiently heavy equipment can be brought in to tow it away.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-brakeless-truck-crashes-on-patong-hill-39671.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-27

Edited by Tywais
Corrected link

Phuket Brake Failure: 10-wheeler flies off Patong Hill

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The brakes on a 10-wheeled truck failed as it descended into Patong this morning, sending the heavy vehicle careening off the road and into a roadside ditch.

No injuries were reported from the accident, Lt Col Nikorn Chuthong of the Patong Police said.

Truck driver Somneuk Cherngthorn, 41, was delivering a small load of merchandise from Phuket Town at about 9:30am when the accident occurred.

The 10-wheeler, registered in Nakhon Pathom province in Northeastern Thailand, missed oncoming traffic, struck the roadside guard rail, rammed a billboard and flattened a street lamp before coming to a full stop by slamming into the ditch.

“I was heading down the hill and the brakes failed. I did my best and luckily avoided hitting any oncoming vehicles – it was rush hour,” Mr Somneuk explained.

“I aimed for the far side of the road and hit the advertising billboard to make sure the truck was well out of the way of other vehicles,” he said.

Malee Saengfah was at home when her house narrowly escaped being struck by the runaway truck.

“I was so lucky the truck did not hit my house. I heard the crash and rushed out to see what happened,” she said.

“I saw the driver get out of the cab. He quickly explained the brakes had failed,” Ms Malee added.

Col Nikorn told the Phuket Gazette that a team of officers had been assigned to investigate the accident and follow up with any necessary legal action.

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-27

"I was heading down the hill in top gear and the brakes failed. I did my best..."

OK, I added the bit about top gear.

I wonder which gear he was in?

Maybe neutral to save diesel and/or engine wear?

Put your hand up if you are suprised by this? Other than the fact the driver didnt run off this time

Im actually surprised that no one was injured this time. Seems like this happens every month though.

It may come across as "a crazy conspiracy theory",

but maybe we've found one of the few Thai Truckers who was,

1.not out of the head on yabaa or drunk,

2.knows how to react when his brakes fail(use the gears to slow down etc)

3.gives a shit about people(he missed the traffic and aimed at the Signpost.

Buddha give us a few more like him!...and a few less brake failures.

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne

"I was heading down the hill in top gear and the brakes failed. I did my best..."

OK, I added the bit about top gear.

I wonder which gear he was in?

Maybe neutral to save diesel and/or engine wear?

cheesy.gif save cost krub

Far be it for most anyone on TV to give a Thai driver the benefit of the doubt. I, for one, would like to believe that just maybe this driver is telling the truth. The fact that he didn't run gives me a reason to believe him. I hope that he is telling the truth and that he is thanked for doing his best to miss other cars, people, etc. Maybe I am a dreamer, but I would like to believe that there are good Thai drivers amongst the crazy ones.

come give the Thai responsible driver the benefit of the doubt, it's difficult to drive while eating, drinking, texting, on the phone, reading the paper, watching the portable TV, sleeping, someone asked the driver if he'd ever fell asleep driving, he replied "no!!! but i've woke up driving"w00t.gif

• Like 1

come give the Thai responsible driver the benefit of the doubt, it's difficult to drive while eating, drinking, texting, on the phone, reading the paper, watching the portable TV, sleeping, someone asked the driver if he'd ever fell asleep driving, he replied "no!!! but i've woke up driving"Posted Image

You forgot smoking yaba

How do expect them to read that?

Firstly its in English

And most Thais dont read the speed limits so how do you expect them to read a sign with letters?

Firstly its in English

Can only presume that you are ''having a go'' here.....maybe you need to put a smile.png orwhistling.gif or something to confirm that you are not serious...just saying....

Firstly its in English

And most Thais dont read the speed limits so how do you expect them to read a sign with letters?

Firstly its in English

Can only presume that you are ''having a go'' here.....maybe you need to put a smile.png orwhistling.gif or something to confirm that you are not serious...just saying....

NOPE i suspect he is very serious!

• Like 1

Firstly its in English

Firstly its in English

NOPE i suspect he is very serious!

Agreed..i actually suspect that you are correct...

I lived in a house right off the hill and had to stop on the way down to turn in (just before the villas) I was always petrified a car would run into the back of my scooter when I was stopped and waiting to make the turn. I use to see trucks that went off the edge so often I stopped looking.