Advise Needed For A Weak Friend Who Is Low On Glucose

rubberduck

I've got a friend a local in his fifties who appears tired, old and weak. Has dizzyness, headache, stomachach, vomiting very frequent.

Last week it went so bad that finally he went to see a doctor, who had his blood tested, the only (...) outcome was 'too low glucose level'. To cure this he got ORS powder, he thought this is a medicine but I told him it's not, also he got the advise to 'eat cooked sugarcane'....... this should cure everything....

I worry his health with this miserable doctor, and wonder if there are TV members who have more experience with this and can advise some proper diet for my friend eventually medicines too, based on what is available here ?

Now I buy bottles of mixed fruit-veggie juice for him hopefuly this will give him some more energy to start with, but what is the best he can eat to improve his health ?

Hopefully someone has some good advice here, eventually I will take him to better hospital, he defenitely can't afford himself anything better then he gets now.

Many thanks !

Edited by rubberduck

The low glucose is most likely due to the vomiting and not eating much, though you need to make sure he is not taking medication for diabetes.

Beyond that, anything is possible. he needs to get the underlying problem diagnosed and this has not happened.

How long has he been ill?

What medications is he (usuallY) on?

Any fever?

And what doctor/where did he consult?

Frequent vomiting plus little of no food/drink intake would lead to a low blood sugar.

Your friend needs to consult a Physician (Internist) at a large public or private hospital.

In the meantime encourage him to sip frequently on the ORS (2.5 L /day) as this will assist in keeping his blood sugar and chemistry near normal.

Hi, many thanks for this replies!

Hospitals here make you think you are in remote-Africa dark, dirty and primitive, but there is a new clinic in Vientiane which is an alliance with the Wattana in NongKai and UdonThani, which are quite modern and well equipped. Eventually I take him there.

The friend he feels sick since about two weeks, but he health is always soso as long as I know him, over 10 years.

He uses some herb against diabetes, no medicines for diabetes.

Says he got unknown medicines for the glucose only. No fever.

Edited by rubberduck

If it is possible to take him to the provincial hospital in Nong Khai I suggest that.

The cause of his vomiting needs to be determined.

Also I would tel him to stop this "herb for diabetes".