The White Masks That Give A New Face To Thai Protest: Special Report

webfact

SPECIAL REPORT
The white masks that give a new face to Thai protest

Somroutai Sapsomboon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The recent sightings of Guy Fawkes white masks, or V masks from the "V for Vendetta" movie - which are now used as a symbol against the Thaksin regime - were not the first time they have been adopted by political campaigners in Thailand.

A group of student activists said they used the V mask for the first time in Thailand last year while protesting the government's plan to stop subsidising state universities.

The group launched its campaign in front of Parliament on October 18 and opened a Facebook fan page, called V for Vendetta - revolution mask.

The administrator of the Facebook page, who identified himself only as Ae, said the introduction of the V mask in Thailand took place on International Student Movement day.

He said the mask had also appeared overseas as a symbol by activists who occupied Wall Street to protest the US government's injection of money to help the stock markets.

Thai students used it as a symbol against the liberation of state universities, that would eventually terminate state subsidies.

"We chose the mask as a symbol because we felt it has strong powers. It is not only an international symbol but its use has two benefits for our student movement. It made our campaign colourful and wearing the mask allowed the students to campaign without fear their parents would recognise them, and they could hide their faces [from authorities] too," Ae said.

The activists in their masks also received a lot of attention from the media.

"The day we introduced the mask in Thailand, we had high hopes that other Thais would wear it and come out to reveal their problems in public. We wanted Thais to rise up and fight. The mask has been used internationally as a symbol against all types of dictatorship, including bureaucratic polity, military regimes or parliamentary dictatorial regimes," Ae said.

Ae said the government's opponents had a right and the liberty to use the V mask as their Facebook profile photo.

"It's freedom of expression and nothing is wrong with it. Those who adopt the mask as their profile photo may realise it's a symbol against dictatorship and they may see the current political situation is a kind of dictatorial regime," Ae said.

"I think we have become successful in using the mask in Thailand," Ae added, laughingly.

The original Guy Fawkes led a movement by Catholics against English King James I in the early 17th century. After the Hollywood film "V for Vendetta" was released in 2005, the masks have been used in many major rallies around the world as symbols of the fight against injustice.

"Under this mask, there are sad eyes looking at injustice in society. So we chose the mask as a symbol to reflect social injustice," said another student activist, who is against the end of subsidies for state universities.

In January this year, the V mask was chosen for a protest against Channel 3's self-imposed ban on its Nuamek TV drama series that was seen as a satire on the Shinawatra family. Protesters used the V mask in a demonstration against the TV channel when it cancelled the programme, and about 200 turned up wearing the mask.

It has yet to be seen whether the latest V mask campaigners will have significant influence on the Pheu Thai and its government.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-28

Why is the fact they are wearing a mask so important? Some weird obsession about this issue in the media.

It was / is a big thing with protests in the west so in the absence of their own original thoughts here it's easier to copy.

• Like 2

Why is the fact they are wearing a mask so important? Some weird obsession about this issue in the media.

It was / is a big thing with protests in the west so in the absence of their own original thoughts here it's easier to copy.

I think the copyright for this design is owned by Warner Bros. so since by using it they're infringing the copyright I suppose you could say it's part of their culture. smile.png

• Like 2

A mask? Instead of just wearing the mask - why don't people do something more constructive if they want change. Go out and protest "peacefully". Boycott products and events and whatever else unhappy citizens do that's within the law. Speak out more as in this country they like to throw the word democracy about a lot.

The white mask it feels is more of a fashionable thing with Thais here at the moment. A gimmick.

If you ever apply for a job and the interviewer has your FB page, with all the indiscretions you have posted, you will understand why a mask is a good idea before you strongly criticise the largest employer in the country.

Why are the Thai authorities so obsessed by the idea of the mask being so important? Edited by Thai at Heart

It has yet to be seen whether the latest V mask campaigners will have significant influence on the Pheu Thai and its government.

They have already had an influence on the P T and the Govt as the have got threats as a response.

These threats are only telling those protesting that they are right that the Govt is trying to suppress freedom of speech.

The Govt issuing threats is akin to providing ammunition for the enemy.

• Like 1

mask.jpg

This scares the hell out of PTP. Social networking can bring down a house of cards, or a mountain of rice.

Ironically, the real "anonymous" groups are quite big on freedom of speech. Not that they can bring down governments, but I don't think the Thai government or bank computer systems would survive to well against a concerted hack.

I think the govt would do well to lay off the criticism. I think I will subscribe to yinglucks Facebook and twitter. Could get entertaining.

Edited by Thai at Heart

mask.jpg

This scares the hell out of PTP. Social networking can bring down a house of cards, or a mountain of rice.

Ironically, the real "anonymous" groups are quite big on freedom of speech. Not that they can bring down governments, but I don't think the Thai government or bank computer systems would survive to well against a concerted hack.

I think the govt would do well to lay off the criticism. I think I will subscribe to yinglucks Facebook and twitter. Could get entertaining.

That's what this Government needs, entertaining , at the moment all we are seeing is a re-run of the "Great bank robbery"

A mask? Instead of just wearing the mask - why don't people do something more constructive if they want change. Go out and protest "peacefully". Boycott products and events and whatever else unhappy citizens do that's within the law. Speak out more as in this country they like to throw the word democracy about a lot.

The white mask it feels is more of a fashionable thing with Thais here at the moment. A gimmick.

If you ever apply for a job and the interviewer has your FB page, with all the indiscretions you have posted, you will understand why a mask is a good idea before you strongly criticise the largest employer in the country.

So criticise the government anonymously, and at the same time you'll be safe if you ever wanna work for them? I thought the whole point of anonymity was to keep you alive to fight another day. Not so you can work for the enemy.

If this is the case, it really is just a gimmick - but it's a completely empty and meaningless gimmick.

So criticise the government anonymously, and at the same time you'll be safe if you ever wanna work for them? I thought the whole point of anonymity was to keep you alive to fight another day. Not so you can work for the enemy.

If this is the case, it really is just a gimmick - but it's a completely empty and meaningless gimmick.

Again, you miss the point. Why burn your bridges behind you when you are smart enough to realise that in 5-10 years you will be part of a family, paying for a mortgage and car. Why gamble the rest of your life that your campaign will be ultimately successful, or that the new government will appreciate your efforts?

That sort of stupidity is best left to the red stooges who, even after they won, could still end up in jail for many years.

Again, you miss the point. Why burn your bridges behind you when you are smart enough to realise that in 5-10 years you will be part of a family, paying for a mortgage and car. Why gamble the rest of your life that your campaign will be ultimately successful, or that the new government will appreciate your efforts?

That sort of stupidity is best left to the red stooges who, even after they won, could still end up in jail for many years.

Okay, put a white mask as your profile picture to show you don't like the government, but don't state publicly or otherwise who you are.

Hell, even create 10 Facebook accounts or more with the same pic, but don't actually do anything else. The government will be forced out at sometime. I mean the sun will explode one day so it's inevitable.

My point is and always was, without any affirmative action, nothing will change and it's a meaningless gesture - gimmick - fashion statement.

This was my point the whole time.

NOT YET! But I am sure they will be charged with slander against the government. Isn't that the other "in thing" to do nowadays?

There are many facets of this struggle for the heart and soul of Thailand, this is one of them. Anonymity is desirable when dealing with a political machine like the criminal Thaksin's, PTP and redshirt alliance. After all it has displayed it willingness to crush any dissidence through litigation, miscommunication, censorship, personal threats, violent measure and even killings.

The use of the mask is an advantage in this political climate, it also resonates with the international community. This government is very sensitive to international opinion, after all its depending on this community to fund the growing Thai debt burden. The mask is generally recognise as a symbol of the democratic struggle against a draconian government, as such it identifies the protestors likewise. It gives them international legitimacy and will be a beacon for international support. As we have seen its already having and effect on the criminal Thaksin's political alliance as they feel the need to stymie this movement with threats of questionably legal or moral action.

Overall I feel its a very clever marketing ploy and a relatively safe option.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

"The original Guy Fawkes led a movement by Catholics against English King James I in the early 17th century."

No. He was a bit part player in the CATESBY plot, leader one Robert Catesby. Fawkes was the patsy who got caught red handed.

There are many facets of this struggle for the heart and soul of Thailand, this is one of them. Anonymity is desirable when dealing with a political machine like the criminal Thaksin's, PTP and redshirt alliance. After all it has displayed it willingness to crush any dissidence through litigation, miscommunication, censorship, personal threats, violent measure and even killings.

The use of the mask is an advantage in this political climate, it also resonates with the international community. This government is very sensitive to international opinion, after all its depending on this community to fund the growing Thai debt burden. The mask is generally recognise as a symbol of the democratic struggle against a draconian government, as such it identifies the protestors likewise. It gives them international legitimacy and will be a beacon for international support. As we have seen its already having and effect on the criminal Thaksin's political alliance as they feel the need to stymie this movement with threats of questionably legal or moral action.

There are several amusing ironies about the use of the V for Vendetta mask in its current guise by the "anti-thaksin regime" facebook boys and girls that they obviously haven't thought through.

Firstly, the V for Vendetta story was written as an anarchist response to the Thatcher government in the UK - the very antithesis of the Yingluck PTP government.

Secondly, the "hero" is an anachist terrorist who leaves death and destruction all around him - but it's only the "bad guys" that get killed.

Thirdly, they really need to research a bit more into the history of whom the V for Vendetta mask is portraying and more specifically the ultimate aim of the plot in which he was "involved".

Finally in your long list of all that you perceive is wrong with this government I found something I agree with you on. A clever marketing ploy indeed, probably by Time Warner - I'm sure they appreciate all the profits they receive from sales of the mask.

• Like 1

"Thirdly, they really need to research a bit more into the history of whom the V for Vendetta mask is portraying and more specifically the ultimate aim of the plot in which he was "involved"."

That takes work and some thinking.

However, I don't think that the plot in which Fawkes was involved has any parallel or similarities to anything to do with this kingdom.

IMHO, of course.

You are profoundly mistaken about many points, but I will emphasize just one - international legitimacy.The current government enjoys unanimous support overseas:there is not one government that questions it not least because it has an unquestionable democratic mandate.Any government which followed other than through an election victory (ie through a military coup or more likely a trumped up judicial intervention) would become an outcast in the world community.Life would of course go on but the consequences would be appalling.

All this historical arguments are pointless, the people behind this campaign make it clear what is the source of the image and what is the meaning they intend to convey from it.

What some people here are doing is akin to argue with a Christian that by wearing a crucifix they are condoning the brutality of the ancient Romans. In other words cherry picking a historical moment related to a particular symbol to ascribe to it connotations not intended by the person using that symbol.

Another more recent example would be to assume that every person you see wearing a Che T-Shirt is a communist revolutionary. Symbols can transcend their origins or acquire new meanings in the course of history, so instead of arguing over irrelevant historical details try to see what this people message is.

Poor logic.A better example is the use of the swastika since this often crops up in Thailand.It cannot be detached from its Nazi link any more than Guy Fawkes can be detached from attempted regicide.It is true however that many Thais have no understanding of the historical connotations but there is a world of difference between ditzy Chiangmai teenagers(a recent swastika use example) and the so called "educate" people with their Guy Fawkes masks.However they should be allowed to demonstrate and wear what masks they like - they can't hide their malice and their deep stupidity.

All this historical arguments are pointless, the people behind this campaign make it clear what is the source of the image and what is the meaning they intend to convey from it.

What some people here are doing is akin to argue with a Christian that by wearing a crucifix they are condoning the brutality of the ancient Romans. In other words cherry picking a historical moment related to a particular symbol to ascribe to it connotations not intended by the person using that symbol.

Another more recent example would be to assume that every person you see wearing a Che T-Shirt is a communist revolutionary. Symbols can transcend their origins or acquire new meanings in the course of history, so instead of arguing over irrelevant historical details try to see what this people message is.

Poor logic.A better example is the use of the swastika since this often crops up in Thailand.It cannot be detached from its Nazi link any more than Guy Fawkes can be detached from attempted regicide.It is true however that many Thais have no understanding of the historical connotations but there is a world of difference between ditzy Chiangmai teenagers(a recent swastika use example) and the so called "educate" people with their Guy Fawkes masks.However they should be allowed to demonstrate and wear what masks they like - they can't hide their malice and their deep stupidity.

As usual :rolleyes:

"Thirdly, they really need to research a bit more into the history of whom the V for Vendetta mask is portraying and more specifically the ultimate aim of the plot in which he was "involved"."

That takes work and some thinking.

However, I don't think that the plot in which Fawkes was involved has any parallel or similarities to anything to do with this kingdom.

IMHO, of course.

I was pointing out the irony, but if you wish to make a point, using an example of the assumption that a person wearing a Che T shirt is a communist revolutionary is probably not the best example to use on this forum - Jatuporn wearing a Gandhi T-Shirt ring any bells about assumptions made, anyone?