Changwattana Immigration . Poor Man :(

Yesterday I was in Bangkok at Changwattana Immigration cuz a friend needed a Visa extention. While waiting for her ticket number to be called, I saw a man on crutches. Out of curiosity I asked what had happened. He went on to explain that -Two weeks prior he crossed a pedestrian crossing, out of no-where a motorist crashed into his left side breaking 3 of his ribs. The motorist then fled the scence. Did a hit & runner! The old man had overstayed his visa 2weeks due to being in hospital from the unfortunate accident. He told the immigration officer on duty, even showed medical documents to support his case, but she blantantly said 'You must pay the overstay fine, if u don't like it, go back to your country.'

The officers name tag was in Thai, which I can read. I wrote her name in English consenants for him to be able and pronounce. He wants to make a complaint. I said I'll lodge a complaint for him over the phone and pretend i'm his Thai wife. I don't know why I got involved or why I want to help this man.

What are your thoughts? :)

Regards,

Kirsty <3

• Like 2

Attitude seems to be questionable but expect that is an English problem. The law says he needs to extend his stay in such a situation prior to overstay - in this case it appears immigration was going to provide an extension after an overstay as a favor but he would need to pay for the overstay days? - most hospitals/doctors would have been helpful if he had informed them of his visa situation and he could have avoided overstay.

• Like 1

I ment to say 'He had all supporting documents to plead his case'. ie. medical cert. police report. prescription receipts. And the doctor/police number for referal. This is not enough? He's paid the fine already. Most likely this case won't be taken any further, since there's no point fighting a losing battle. Just wanted to share my story :)

• Like 1

After he went onto overstay having stacks of paperwork will not help at all. It must be taken care of prior to going on overstay.

If he is still under medical care and cannot travel he could still get an extension of stay of up to 90 days for medical treatment after paying overstay fine.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

basically the hospital's fault, along with the gent wrongly assuming that paperwork from hospital would clear the problem.

Most hospitals nowadays ask foreigners on admittance about there visa status, so if an overstay is looming it can be taken care of beforehand.

The only thing the hospitsl's paperwork can accomplish is get you a 90 day extension, it cannot clear an overstay.

The only thing immigration can.be accused of is unfriendliness in dealing with the person, but this sometimes is understandable when the foreigner refuses to accept/understand the legal position they are in.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My friend here at Pattaya Immigration told me that if a person provides a legit reason for overstay such as medical documents he does NOT have to pay the overstay.

My friend here at Pattaya Immigration told me that if a person provides a legit reason for overstay such as medical documents he does NOT have to pay the overstay.

Unfortunatly, a lot of immigration officers think differently and require you to get the extension before you wil be on overstay.

Isn't their some kind of subscript saying that there are rules, but in the end the officer decided what will be done...

It is up to the goodwill of the officer in other words...

Edited by JoeW
  • Like 1

I ment to say 'He had all supporting documents to plead his case'. ie. medical cert. police report. prescription receipts. And the doctor/police number for referal. This is not enough? He's paid the fine already. Most likely this case won't be taken any further, since there's no point fighting a losing battle. Just wanted to share my story smile.png

Most commendable of you.

Compassion is one of the tenets of Buddhism. It seems the officer who dealt with this chap's case never heard of or practised it. There are rules but there is also discretion when is warranted. Let's hope that this episode was not due to Xenophobia... sad.png

• Like 1

Interesting that the officers name was in Thai and not both... Can't say I've seen this before and that's fresh off the back of a trip there today myself...

Which section did this incident occur? C1?

I was over at counter K1 later on n the afternoon, and some of the carry on from farang tourists was incredible... Argumentative and rude and can only imagine the Immigration officer is waiting for them to finish their rants and stamp a big "GTFO" in their passport...

That shit wouldn't fly in farangland (Australia, British and USA) so why try it on here...

• Like 2