Putting It To Bed: Bangkok Nightlife Institution To Call It Quits This August

webfact

It was good in its day.

>Its about time !!

Awwww... where will all the douche bag posers go now?

Hear, hear. The place is full of "look at me" tossers.

Absolutely. The music was mostly ok, but nobody was there to have a good time when I went. Just to pose for photos. It was real lousy atmosphere. Clubs should be about clubbing, the music, the scene, this was just a posers hangout and gold-diggers. Good riddance to over-expensive hype.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went there exactly twice and HATED it both times. As many have said, a place for the pretentious, douchebag posers Bangkok is so full of these days. As someone who has seen dozens of his favorite nightlife venues destroyed in the last several years, I can take at least some pleasure in its disappearance. Unfortunately there are still many, many places for the douchebag posers to go as Bangkok is a city whose nightlife increasingly caters to that market.

The funniest story I ever heard about the place was when the thuggish doormen refused entrance to this guy because he didn't have ID. However, he was a Thai Elite card holder, had it with him but they didn't know what it was and still refused to let him enter! Priceless!

• Like 1

Awwww... where will all the douche bag posers go now?

They will stay in Nana and Cowboy... the douche bag posters dont frequent places like BSC. They object to paying the higher beer and hooker prices smile.png

overpriced,overrated.the douchebags will go to Levels club

I'm with Groucho Marx on this one.....I refuse to go to any club with a dress code......they are all pretentious wank fests .....or something like that. I'm sure he said that!!

Looks like they have already gone to Levels...seen the photos...seems like they took Bed's place. As long as all the posers stay away from the more sensibly priced and fun nightclubs elsewhere in Bangkok.

I went to Bed once, overpriced bottle of Vodka, seemed like an expensive lounge that lacked any real atmosphere. It was also the ONLY club I have ever been to that made me bring my passport as ID.

Apparently it used to be good, a loooong time ago (when Thai's still went there).

Can't say I'm sad to see it close but I'll miss the Champion Sound-promoted nights.

Those guys brought some seriously top-notch DJs here including Frankie Knuckles and Sandy Rivera and I'm sure they'll find another venue.

There was no way they could compete with places like Levels who don't have a cover charge and use DJs who - in the minds of the only-here-to-get-laid clientele it attracts - play similar music.

Half the higher-profile joints on soi 11 are pretty much owned by boiler room money now so those with discerning tastes shouldn't expect quality to make a return any time soon

• Like 1

I like the shape of the building, that's it. The sidewalk will now be taken over by sidewalk kitchens or bars. I hope they come up with something new soon. I also hope Q-Bar (or as I call it "F...Q Bar") will be the next to close its door!

I'm with Groucho Marx on this one.....I refuse to go to any club with a dress code......they are all pretentious wank fests .....or something like that. I'm sure he said that!!

What Groucho said was "I refuse to belong to any club that would have me as a member".

What dress restrictions there are in Bangkok tend to be limited to no flip flops, singlets and shorts . . . and quite bloody right too.

If people want to dress like that for a night out, there's plenty of joints in Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza or Patpong don't give a toss what you wear.

• Like 2

What Groucho said was "I refuse to belong to any club that would have me as a member".

Are you sure?? I'm pretty sure he mentioned the words "wank fest" also.

Can't say I'm sad to see it close but I'll miss the Champion Sound-promoted nights.

Those guys brought some seriously top-notch DJs here including Frankie Knuckles and Sandy Rivera and I'm sure they'll find another venue.

There was no way they could compete with places like Levels who don't have a cover charge and use DJs who - in the minds of the only-here-to-get-laid clientele it attracts - play similar music.

Half the higher-profile joints on soi 11 are pretty much owned by boiler room money now so those with discerning tastes shouldn't expect quality to make a return any time soon

Heh, heh.

The voice of soi 11 cafe society; douchebag manifesto.

• Like 1

Knuckles at Indulge back in the day.....thanks for kindling the memory.....smile.png

• Like 1

They had sme proper A-List DJ's on over the years, were the first Bangkok club to offer that I beleve and along with Q turned Soi11 into what it is now attracting the other (so called) "high-end" venues to open. It wasn't very good last time I went a few months ago but back in the day it could be a great night out. Times move on. I bet the closing party and last few nights will be good though for a last hurrah.

Edit - Reading the PR release from Bed, they also mention how when they moved into soi11 it was nice house/gardens and Q bar. Now it's a shithole full of drinks vans and street bars etc. Far enough point. They also mention some of the top moments including Laurent Garnier DJing and everyone going crazy. Never saw Garnier at Bed but have seen him at other places and he is an epic DJ and i can fully imagine how good that moment would have been at Bed. Can't see that happening or being close to repeated at any other Bangkok club now or in the future, especially one that small that could create the intimate atmosphere that Bed could.

Edited by Shaksey

To my mind the place was unbelievably pretentious. Tasteless concept, bad lighting (read "too much lighting"), bizarre (pretentious again) entertainment, uncomfortable seating arrangements. I could go on. And I actually worked there for a bit. I agree with those who say "about time," and wonder how it lasted as long as it did.

I've been to Bed a few times and it was OK for the occasional "hi-so" style night out, but for a much more fun night with a better party atmosphere, better prices and less pretention I like The Club Khaosan, even though I think they should play less house music and more trance.

i think the 'cult' of the DJ is a load of BS- any reasonably extrovert idiot can get a room full of drunk/high people to dance just by lining up tracks and pressing play.

The 'cult' of the DJ is not a load of "BS". But it depends on which DJ you listen to and whether he or she plays the kind of music that you like. I prefer trance music so I will speak in terms of trance DJs. A good DJ can create a seamless mental / emotional journey that takes the listener through peaks and troughs over the duration of his or her set. It's like storytelling, with the DJ as the storyteller, where the sequence of events (track ordering) is important as is what happens in those events (track selection). With a good DJ set, the net end result is much more than the mere collection or combination of individual tracks.

Tomorrow night at Bed there'll be Sasha who is a big-name progressive-style DJ. Listen to the classic Northern Exposure CD series that he did with John Digweed, particularly the first 2 volumes (from 1996 and 1997), as an example of a DJ set being a mental / emotional journey.

Armin Van Buuren is another big-name DJ who quite consistently plays good DJ sets and it's no surprise that he has been voted into the top position 5 times so far in the DJ Mag top 100 DJs poll. His sets usually start with slow progressive-style tracks and builds up to pumping energetic trance tracks in the latter half. Here is his latest weekly DJ set for his radio show as an example: Armin van Buuren - A State of Trance 614.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

Each to their own buddy but, sorry, trance is an abomination.

Cheesey, trite, formulaic.

Those ridiculous vocals, even crappier lyrics, the cacophony of super-compressed synth noise is designed to hide the fact that there really is nothing of any musical merit behind it.

The sooner trance dies, the better.

• Like 2