Putting It To Bed: Bangkok Nightlife Institution To Call It Quits This August

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each to their own buddy but, sorry, trance is an abomination.

Cheesey, trite, formulaic.

Those ridiculous vocals, even crappier lyrics, the cacophony of super-compressed synth noise is designed to hide the fact that there really is nothing of any musical merit behind it.

The sooner trance dies, the better.

A lot of trance does fit your description, but not all, and that's what keeps me with it. I think the commercial house music that is much more popular in nightclubs these days is far worse and can also fit your comments.

What trance music have you actually listened to that have shaped your persepctive of trance?

What do you prefer to listen to when you are out?

I want to listen to soulful and/or vocal house but there's no way that'll ever get played in a Bangkok club.

I make do with what people are calling deep house or tech house even if it's a bit same-y.

Trance for me is epitomised by that Ian Van Dahl type nonsense.

• Like 1

I doubt that those of you who panned Bed would seriously go to other clubs regularly that offer sophistication and expensive fair and that is why you will not miss it. You are not part of the "elite" of Bangkok. It was pricy and it wasn't your thing anyway. Clubs come and go and Bed had its time and it is now passed. Lots of people did enjoy it while it was on top. It was the place to go and be seen. So what! Other clubs become the "new" place to go. Just like restaurants, people are always looking for something new. But why put down a place just because it was out of your league?

Because it was pretentious, as your own post aptly illustrates. Speaking personally, it was not "out of my league" financially or any other sense. I thought the music was crap and it was full of people I did not like. Get it?

The Bed is your idea of "sophistication"? Really?

• Like 1

Bed was not my Cup Of Tea, but I won't put the place or its customers down.

Trouble's post above pretty much says all that is needed to say about a number of the sour (and probably older) posters with nothing positive to say....

Maybe those older posters have nothing positive to say because there IS nothing positive to say about it. Maybe those older posters remember a time when Bangkok's nightlife was not dominated by the pretentious nonsense pioneered by clubs like the Bed. Maybe you should listen to the voice of experience once in a while.

Since when does every comment made about a subject on Thaivisa have to be "positive"?

I want to listen to soulful and/or vocal house but there's no way that'll ever get played in a Bangkok club.

I make do with what people are calling deep house or tech house even if it's a bit same-y.

The Club Khaosan has quite a bit of vocal house, though it may be mixed in with commercial house, and it of course depends on which DJ is on.

I find deep house and tech house boring, though it's not bad for chilling at home.

If Ian Van Dahl (e.g. "Castles In The Sky") is the only kind of trance that you've heard then I understand your negative views of trance. That's commercial trance and even real trance lovers aren't very much into that kind of trance. I don't mind it but I wouldn't want to spend too much time listening to it or seeking it out. If you check out the link to the Armin Van Buuren DJ set that I posted previously then you'll find higher quality new trance (with progressive tracks near the beginning). Since trance has bene around for a long time (since mid 1990s) there's a lot of it that cover a wide variety of different sounds, so you may actually find some that you like if you took the time to look around and discover. One of my favorite trance tracks recently has been Aiera - Dunes (Ahmed Romel Remix) (spectacular video clip too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVi-ODVcs4&hd=1

Here is a video by the artist himself of the production project in the Fruity Loops platform for the original version of the track above (though the Ahmed Romel remix is so much better), so you can see a little of how a trance track is produced: Aiera - Dunes (project view)

Bed actually hardly ever hosted real trance DJs. Though Sasha, who is playing at Bed tonight, was well known amongst trance lovers, as progressive house music often consists of trance elements. His classic track "Xpander" from 1999 was an amazing progressive trance track and was (and still is) universally lauded by the trance community:

Edited by hyperdimension

Trance can be great.

Classic Trance that is such as Yerba Del Diablo by Datura, Cosmic Love by Resistance D, Acid Phase by Emmanuel Top etc.

Summarized by Ishkura as " music that rewards paying attention and looking inward on a meditative level.

Music that you can get lost in. Parties that last several days and songs that last 8 hours.

You don't hear that anymore. Today Trance is either a sequence of disjointed, disaffected, unrelated predictable anthems laid out one after the other ( hardly entrancing) or is completely overshadowed and drowned out by the posturing and hero-worship of people who really do nothing more then operate a glorified stereo."

• Like 1

i wish i was there tonight for sasha!! if anyone went, put us a report up on here would you

i bet the man like rocked it

In order to "rock it" he would have had to play "rock". Instead I presume he only "tranced it".

I would like to suggest that some of you investigate the much improving live young "indie" rock scene in this town that has popped up over the last couple of years. It is much more interesting and exciting than the tired old electronic dance scene.

The Club Khaosan has quite a bit of vocal house, though it may be mixed in with commercial house, and it of course depends on which DJ is on.

I find deep house and tech house boring, though it's not bad for chilling at home.

If Ian Van Dahl (e.g. "Castles In The Sky") is the only kind of trance that you've heard then I understand your negative views of trance. That's commercial trance and even real trance lovers aren't very much into that kind of trance. I don't mind it but I wouldn't want to spend too much time listening to it or seeking it out. If you check out the link to the Armin Van Buuren DJ set that I posted previously then you'll find higher quality new trance (with progressive tracks near the beginning). Since trance has bene around for a long time (since mid 1990s) there's a lot of it that cover a wide variety of different sounds, so you may actually find some that you like if you took the time to look around and discover. One of my favorite trance tracks recently has been Aiera - Dunes (Ahmed Romel Remix) (spectacular video clip too):

Here is a video by the artist himself of the production project in the Fruity Loops platform for the original version of the track above (though the Ahmed Romel remix is so much better), so you can see a little of how a trance track is produced: Aiera - Dunes (project view)

Bed actually hardly ever hosted real trance DJs. Though Sasha, who is playing at Bed tonight, was well known amongst trance lovers, as progressive house music often consists of trance elements. His classic track "Xpander" from 1999 was an amazing progressive trance track and was (and still is) universally lauded by the trance community:

Yeah thanks for the vids, bro. Only marginally better to my ears, I'm afraid.

That whole 4 note bassline - y'know that "dum-dum-dum-dum" that just shifts up or down a key - just doesn't make me, personally, want to dance. It makes me want to yawn.

I need syncopation. Listen to this from say 1.30 onwards . . . hear the movement in the bass line played on a real bass guitar (not 4 notes pressed one after another on a midi controller), tougher, deeper kicks and a little slap bass thrown in with a little Roy Ayers vocal . . . irresistible . . . no drugs required

Although I hated the nightclub section, the bed restaurant section was one of the coolest dining experiences I've ever had. And the food was amazing. I'm out of LOS right now -- but if I'm back in time before they close, I'll do a last-supper there for sure!

Judging by the amount of panicked posts there are when Nana and Cowboy shut for just 1 night, or the price of Chang increases by 3 baht at 7/11, or the outrage on "my wife is a bargirl" threads, the response on the closure of something a little beyond the average Thaivisa punter was not unexpected.

Just saying.