Change Retirement Visa To Marriage At Chiang Mai

ianf

I would like to do this at Chiang Mai this week. I wonder if anyone out there has done this?

1. Can I make an appointment, or is it two late?

2, Is it best to go at 1pm, or shall we join the crush queue at 6am?

3. Is there a form I can download that needs filling out?

4. Any other advice, info?

Thanks for the help!

The earliest you can get an appointment is August 27th, so yes way too late.

I haven't done my extension in CM yet (only 90 day reports), so cannot advice you on the rest of your questions other than that you need to fill out form TM7 (which you can get here) for your new extension.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

well, if you have to go in for your yearly extension (retirement) anyways... just go... but instead, file all the correct paperwork for an extension based on marriage to a thai.

i don't know if you can just go in at any old time and change your visa over (unless it is mandated, like you lost your job or quit school) to a different classification.

You can definitely change the reason for your visa extension from retirement to marriage, but unless you want to work (not permitted on retirement extension) and/or have problems meeting the financial requirements of the retirement extension, it makes more sense to continue to do retirement extensions.

Get to CM Immigration early -- you'll only be told to come back tomorrow morning if you arrive at 1 pm for a 12-month extension. This isn't like the 90-day reports where you can just show up at any time and expect to be served the same day.

As for the other requirements -- documents, photos, wife, etc -- pop over to the visa subform (the very first forum on the Thai Visa list) for more details about the process. It's not nearly as easy as getting a retirement extension.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Unless you are doing it for reasons of work or the money requirements there is no advantage to a visa based on marrage and it is far more a pain in the AZZ . A marrage visa locks you in . If you divorce or wife dies you have to leave the country or revert back to a retirement visa .... Unless Im missing something its much better on a retirement visa if not working...

NancyL and BB1955 have it right. Another thought is that for some reason the immigration people don't seem to like to deal with marriage visas and do everything they can to discourage you from changing so be ready to jump through all the hoops they will put out before you. It is also a lot easier to extend a retirement visa every year.

I'm married and still on a retirement visa and like it that way.

Remember if you get a marriage visa and later go back to retirement visa, you can`t go back to marriage visa again, The immigration don`t want to make married visa because it is to much work, and all the papers has to go to Bangkok first.

My first thought was: "Why in the he-ll would you even think about doing that??? I went through 3 years of renewing marriage visa, and every time it took a hour, once you even got to the desk, and a ton of paperwork, not to mention my wife taking a day off from work to go with me. I switched to Retirement and it takes me all of 20 minutes, max, once I get to the desk, and I go alone.

I'd seriously reconsider doing this is I were you.

is the

My first thought was: "Why in the he-ll would you even think about doing that??? I went through 3 years of renewing marriage visa, and every time it took a hour, once you even got to the desk, and a ton of paperwork, not to mention my wife taking a day off from work to go with me. I switched to Retirement and it takes me all of 20 minutes, max, once I get to the desk, and I go alone.

Retirement visa is so much easier as you say but maybe the 400,000 baht difference in banked savings is a consideration in this case.

is the

Retirement visa is so much easier as you say but maybe the 400,000 baht difference in banked savings is a consideration in this case.

The only income requirement I had to show them was a guaranteed income of 40k a month, which was done by a letter from the Consulate, but also provided copies of statements from both the VA and SS showing my monthly pension. I was told by the Imm Officer that it's no longer required to show the money actually IN the bank, but only show PROOF of the income.

Yes, the 800,000 is a consideration but only because I am two weeks short of the 3 months and its too late to do anything about that. Also I cannot get a work permit, but the National Thai Police are considering giving me a coaching licence for their cycling team for next year. If I'm on a retiree visa there may be complications.

So: Any problems with a 2 weeks short?

try the airport

What's up with this post? The Immigration office at the airport has nothing to do with granting 12-month visa extensions for whatever reason.

Edited by onthedarkside
inflammatory comment removed