When To Apply For O-a Visa

I know these questions has probably been asked time after time but I want to make sure I have it right. I want to make this transition as painless as possible. I'm 59, live in Calif, and meet all the $$ reqmnts for a retirement visa. No issues here.

1.) I am retiring to Thailand. Tennative plan is to fly there in September but haven't booked yet. When should I apply for my visa? I am going to apply for an O-A with multi entry. If I apply now, when will the visa start date begin? When I actually arrive? or when the visa is approved? (Any timming suggestions please) I can not work or apply for a work permit because I'm on disability.

2.) There is a Krung Thai Bank in Los Angles. I was thinking of opening my account with them first before going over. My reasoning is my Soc Sec check could be easily directly deposited there

as oppossed to being sent overseas. Also with KTB all over Thailand I shouldn't have extra fees and will have easier access to my account. Is this a good idea? Any experiences one could share with me. I still need to call them but I wanted other opinions before I do.

3.) Just before the 90 days is up, I am to fly back to the US for Xmas and then return two weeks later. Does this qual for visa run? Or do I need to report first before I leave for the US and return?

4.) Finally, I am going to rent an apartment or small house in Bangkok until I decide my final resting place. Any issues about getting a place on short notice? Should I contact an agent before hand to set it up first? Should I use the services of a local lawyer to act on my behalf? Are there agencies that do this?

All your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

See also Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long stay) - visa for retired persons.

1. The start date of a visa is normally when it is approved. There is no harm in requesting a later start date, but it would be up to them to grant it or not.

2. Possibly a good idea. However, transfering fees may be involved when accessing in Thailand.

3. Not sure.

4. Up to you. You can contact an agent before hand. Probably shouldn't need a lawyer for a simple short term tenancy agreement.

Edited by vinny

1. You should apply for visa just prior to your planned travel to allow for any delay. I would say 30 days would be plenty of time as you will have everything ready (police report/medical/bank account).

2. I seriously doubt KTB can open a US account and in any case are the worst banks in the country for service (old government service attitudes). There are fees involved in any money transfer outside of your local bank branch area here. Bangkok Bank is the only authorized method of receiving direct US Government payments AFAIK but would advise you to keep a US bank account and deposit into that. Also keep your US credit cards. You will not obtain a checking account here, nor are you likely to obtain credit cards (which if you do have very poor customer protection). You will like that US account for tax refunds, internet orders or payments in US. Also if you return to travel in US. There is no requirement to direct deposit into a Thai account for visa extensions.

3. You do not make visa runs on an O-A visa. It is the same as an extension of stay and you only have to make address reports every 90 days. If you are not in the country no report is due. Next report would then be 90 days from your return.

4. There is no problem finding housing and you should do that yourself. Read up in the jobs/housing sub forum and you should be ok. There are agents but there interests are not likely to be the same as yours. If you walk around an area you are interested in you will find many signs and can ask directly. Furnished apartments are very common here (for tax reasons) so you should not have any problem. For the lease contract you might that reviewed prior to signing but do not believe most people do.

1. You should apply for visa just prior to your planned travel to allow for any delay. I would say 30 days would be plenty of time as you will have everything ready (police report/medical/bank account).

2. I seriously doubt KTB can open a US account and in any case are the worst banks in the country for service (old government service attitudes). There are fees involved in any money transfer outside of your local bank branch area here. Bangkok Bank is the only authorized method of receiving direct US Government payments AFAIK but would advise you to keep a US bank account and deposit into that. Also keep your US credit cards. You will not obtain a checking account here, nor are you likely to obtain credit cards (which if you do have very poor customer protection). You will like that US account for tax refunds, internet orders or payments in US. Also if you return to travel in US. There is no requirement to direct deposit into a Thai account for visa extensions.

3. You do not make visa runs on an O-A visa. It is the same as an extension of stay and you only have to make address reports every 90 days. If you are not in the country no report is due. Next report would then be 90 days from your return.

4. There is no problem finding housing and you should do that yourself. Read up in the jobs/housing sub forum and you should be ok. There are agents but there interests are not likely to be the same as yours. If you walk around an area you are interested in you will find many signs and can ask directly. Furnished apartments are very common here (for tax reasons) so you should not have any problem. For the lease contract you might that reviewed prior to signing but do not believe most people do.

Vinny and Lopburi33, Thank you both for your input.

So as I understand it simply wait until 30 days before I am to leave to apply for my O-A visa. And once that is approved, travel there as planned, simply notify them every 90 days (before the date they stamp upon entry), and going back and forth into the country is not a problem as long as I have multiples, and apply for any extension before the year is up.

I'll call the KTB in Los Angles and see what they tell me. I'll post with their reply for all to see. I have B of A currently and they tell me they charge a 15% conversion fee which is BS if you ask me. And they won't tell me anything about the B of A in Bangkok. i'm still checking on this. Your recomendation is the Bangkok Bank. I'll look into it.

And I won't be too concerned about the housing issue.

Thanks again

Below is full SS information as provided by the US Embassy Bangkok in there FAQ. I would still advise keeping a US account and making wire transfers several times a year. The cost is normally in the $30-45 range at the US bank and 1/4% with a max of 500 baht at the Thai end. You receive the full TT exchange rate. You send USD and the conversion takes place in Bangkok. If you take this route you need to make arrangements with your bank for fax/phone or internet wire transfers and sign an agreement. Then you just tell them what/when/where when you need to add money to your Thai account.

FEDERAL BENEFITS

I am a U.S. Citizen living in Thailand. Can I receive Federal Benefits here?

It is possible to receive Federal Benefits in Thailand. To receive Social Security, you need to apply to the Social Security Administration. You can either pick-up an application packet from the American Citizen Services or request for one via email at [email protected]. After completing the requirements, you can submit the application packet directly to Social Security Administration’s Main Office in Baltimore, Maryland. All information needed will be included in the application packet.

I am currently receiving Social Security/other Federal benefits in the U.S. and would like to move to Thailand, What should I do?

A Change of address for the Social Security Administration (SSA) require you to submit Form SSA-21 and a certified photocopy of your passport to SSA. Form SSA-21 is available at the American Citizen Services unit or online at www.ssa.gov. The American Citizen Services unit will also make a certified copy of your original passport if you bring it in. There is no fee for this service when it is being used for Social Security purposes.

How do I receive my benefits?

Most U.S. Treasury checks are sent first to the Embassy in Thailand. The Embassy will then distribute the checks to the recipients OR you can use direct deposit into your account in Thailand.

What is the difference between receiving benefits by check and direct deposit?

Those receiving benefits via direct deposit will have access to their money faster! If you receive benefits by check, you will receive check around the third week of every month. If you receive benefits by direct deposit, your pension will be deposited to your account around the fourth date of every month.

The US Embassy in Bangkok encourages recipients, if possible, for checks to be direct deposited into the recipient’s bank account in Thailand. This helps prevent difficulties in cases of lost, stolen, misplaced or late checks.

I would like to Direct Deposit to a Thailand-Based Bank. What do I need to do?

Only the Bangkok Bank of Thailand provides Direct Deposit service for persons who receive benefits from the following agencies: Social Security Administration (SSA), Veterans Administration (VA), and Civil Service.

1. Open “Direct Deposit” Account at the Bangkok Bank branch nearest your home.

The Bank will assist you in opening a “Direct Deposit Account. We suggest you to clearly tell staff that this account is for receiving pension from SSA, or VA.

2. Sign up Form 1199: Please bring 3 completed forms sf1199 to a Head Quarter of Bangkok Bank. Bank will forward your completed Direct Deposit form (Form 1199 A) to SSA in US. You will be able to access your benefits from the Bangkok Bank branch near your house after your request has been completely processed. This often takes a few months. For more information please contact:

Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited

Foreign Exchange Service Section

Retail Payment Services Department

333 Silom Road, Bkk. 10500

Tel: (02) 230-1322-3

I would like to follow-up on the status of my check. How do I do that?

You can follow-up on the status of your check by directly contacting the SSA Regional Office in Manila, Philippines at [email protected] or you can check with the ACS Unit by emailing us at [email protected] and we will follow-up the status of the check for you.

For more information on Federal Benefits, please access the website of the Social Security Administration at http://www.ssa.gov

dude - im from la and can tell you that they dont like falang much in the consulate - but thats just between me and you. no matter how you dress or how polite. they are not rude but wholly indifferent.

id recommend you hop on a plane, come out here, do some visa runs and see if you even like the place. it sounds like you may have never been or not spent much time. you can easily get double tourist visas in penang and id recommend another thing...

you are young and can handle some travel. get out and see not only thailand but all the neighboring countries. too many people in thailand know little or nothing about asian people and culture in general.

it really sounds like you are overthinking everything. when you do this you actually create even more problems for yourself. for instance - you may open a acct in 'thai' bank in usa but that is not a thai bank, only thai owned. thai bank is in thailand, govnd by thai law and all that rot.

thinkabout how much easier it all is - stop your planning and buy a ticket. when you get here you can ask more questions on the board and of freinds you meet. youll also see what MAY work for him or her wont work for you so even best advice is not best for you.

good luck fellow l.a.lien

dude - im from la and can tell you that they dont like falang much in the consulate - but thats just between me and you. no matter how you dress or how polite. they are not rude but wholly indifferent.

id recommend you hop on a plane, come out here, do some visa runs and see if you even like the place. it sounds like you may have never been or not spent much time. you can easily get double tourist visas in penang and id recommend another thing...

you are young and can handle some travel. get out and see not only thailand but all the neighboring countries. too many people in thailand know little or nothing about asian people and culture in general.

it really sounds like you are overthinking everything. when you do this you actually create even more problems for yourself. for instance - you may open a acct in 'thai' bank in usa but that is not a thai bank, only thai owned. thai bank is in thailand, govnd by thai law and all that rot.

thinkabout how much easier it all is - stop your planning and buy a ticket. when you get here you can ask more questions on the board and of freinds you meet. youll also see what MAY work for him or her wont work for you so even best advice is not best for you.

good luck fellow l.a.lien

Thanks, I'm slowly finding that out. Think I'll stick with a tourist visa to start. KTB in LA is really for Thai nat'ls in the US. Found out BoA does cheap transfers anyway and two of my CC don't charge extra for overseas purchases or cash advances.