Please Advice... Eighteen Year Old Girl Alone In Thailand.

daAugust

When posting on a forum. Have the decency to come back and say thanks guys it's been a lot of help biggrin.pngtongue.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Oh my goodness, be careful with posts like this. I made a similar post ages ago when the OP never bothered coming back for days to acknowledge all the help he/she was offered. I was blasted by some people, reminding me that the OPs have no obligation to reply and that I was being an a**hole for making a criticism. I've now learned that my old-fashioned social values, where people show consideration for each other and gratitude when helped, are outdated and not wanted anymore. The times are changing and niceties have no place in today's world.

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of good info here.

I would reconsider going alone. Search Google for such terms as "Travel forums" "Travel buddies" etc. and hook up with other young people. I think TripAdvisor has a country by country forum.

Its hard work traveling alone having to lug all your bags with you every time you need a pee.

When posting on a forum. Have the decency to come back and say thanks guys it's been a lot of help biggrin.pngtongue.png

Maybe the replies didn't turn out the way the OP had expected whistling.gif

I give u credit for understanding your situation with reguard to your worldly knowledge and lack of experience.

I do not wish to scare u or rain on this parade but factor in some reality with your dream.

I teach self defense and personal security so please consider what Im about to say.

Dont do this trip alone. Just dont.

Yes u need to get experience but this usually comes thru mistakes. Mistakes while on ur own can be VERY costly.

In ur OP u give all the reason u shouldnt go alone.

REGISTER WITH YOUR EMBASSY WHEN U GET THERE.

You are / will be way to trusting.

Dont drink alcohol unless u open it yourself and never take ur eyes off of it.

Never go more than a day without checking in with family. And have have a code phrase for "im fine" and for "help me"

Leave money with a relative in ur home country to send u when all yours is stolen.

I cant possibly tell u everything u need to know but listen to ppl on here.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

angiud, on 28 May 2013 - 22:21, said:

thaicbr, on 28 May 2013 - 22:16, said:

DO NOT go to the FULL moon party on Koh pangnan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Moon_Party

Why?

And anyway, if she's really a teenager, you have just gave her a free ticket to KPG whistling.gif

She's 18 that's why. And also, do you know what goes on there? Drink spiking, drugs, robberies, sexual assaults, police taking bribes or just locking up foreigners for possession of drugs, even murders. Hardly the kind of place an innocent young female traveler should go to on her own. What's so fun about the full moon party anyway? You stand on a beach bobbing around drinking alcohol out of buckets meet a few idiots who you'll never see again anyway and then hope you can make it back to your accommodation without being robbed or worse.

Save your money and go to a beach resort, meet up with fellow travelers, make a camp fire, recount traveler's tales and sing some songs. Much more fun and you'll probably make friends which will last you a lifetime.

Don't you remember when you were 18?

Go have lots of fun without worrying about anything.

Get yourself a copy of Lonely Planet, it is full of good guidance, esp for Backpackers....utterly invaluable. And adopt a non critical attitude, choose to enjoy everything about your visit . Smile and laugh a lot .

• 4 weeks later...

DO NOT go to the FULL moon party on Koh pangnan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Moon_Party

Why?

And anyway, if she's really a teenager, you have just gave her a free ticket to KPG xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.7t_vt3JO-h.w alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Clever answer...if she is really a teenager indeed...not sure of course but a little smell of troll

What country is the OP from and why on earth is she travelling all the way out here on her own?Hate to say it but if I was her Father there's no way she'd be coming all the way out here alone!

You can not tell an 18 year old, father or not, what and what not to do, you can only advise her. She has used some common sense coming on here to TV and asking for advice. I think she will probably team up with other young travellers and be safe.

I work at a backpackers on an island in Thailand and some advice I would suggest is always lock your stuff in a safe in your room as break ins happen sometimes.

Enjoy the beautiful things Thailand has to offer, good priced massage and food drinks etc.

Be polite and friendly to locals and don't talk to them as if they are stupid if their English isn't the same quality as yours.

Our staff get so upset when a customer use swear words or question their integrity. Be polite say thank you, learn some Thai phrases.

If you go to full moon party watch your drink, I have had my drink spiked before

Don't do drugs.

Take photocopies of your passport etc.

Don't give anyone your complete trust backpackers or Thai or farang.

Don't listen to people who tell you not to travel in Thailand, bad things happen in all countries.

A great way to travel

At your age is on organised tours there are many companies and you will have a tour manager who teaches you about culture and shows you good places to eat and you will meet awesome people your age and older who are all looking to have a fun time, organised tours are a really great way to get around as you don't get ripped off or mucked around with buses trains ferries etc.

You make good friends off those tours and often find someone or a couple of

People to travel with after your tour.

I haven't done a tour in Thailand but I watch many people traveling through my job and tours are such a stress free way to go as you don't have to spend half your holiday trying to look online for the next place you are going or staying.

Sometimes buses are late, sometimes taxis won't turn up, sometimes banks are shut and you don't know why, sometimes your food comes half an hour after your friends but sit back and relax and enjoy the great things.

Take it all in, respect the Thais, this is their country and you are a visitor.

Try diving out, I have not done much of it but it is well priced.

Be really careful in scooters, I see so many people have accidents... If you don't ride a scooter at home why would u decide to give it a go somewhere that the roads are not so safe and you don't know what your doing? It really can ruin people's holidays when they have to go and get dressings changed each day and figure out their insurance.

If you do then wear a helmet.

Go to temple festivals! They are fantastic.

Try a cooking class, take enough money so that you don't have to stress and budget well.

Follow your gut feelings.

Sometimes when a Thai smiles it does not necessarily mean they are happy.

Read up on a part of the culture called saving face, get a good understanding of saving face. Will help you understand what's happening around you.

Lots of helpful people offering advice, but the OP's post count still stands at 1. Have some doubts here. The OP states: "Needing life & travel advice, as i am still very naive ". This is what you call in Latin a "contradictio in terminis" (self contradicting statement) - by definition somebody who is truly naive, is not aware of this herself.

The thread could be useful for young and inexperienced travelers though, and should continue by all means.

OP, in case my doubts are not justified, please accept my apologies, and be so kind to say "Thank you" to all these people who are trying to help you.

Edited by keestha

I would say try to travel near your own home country first before coming all the way to Thailand on your own at 18 year of age.

Maybe she's from Singapore :D

Perhaps the mods can view the source ip and determine which country the op post is coming from?