Snake In Bedroom Gives Phuket Woman A Fright

webfact

Snake in bedroom gives Phuket woman a fright
Claire Connell

snake.jpg
The snake found in Lies Sol's house.

PHUKET: -- Phuket resident Lies Sol got a surprise when she arrived home yesterday (May 28) to find a long green snake in her bedroom.

Lies, who is originally from Holland but has lived in Phuket for around 20 years, said she came into her house in Ao Makham to pick up something, and saw the 1.5 metre long snake entering her bedroom.

“It was sitting in the corner. I thought I would grab it behind the head, pick it up and throw it out the window. But that was a scary idea, because the snake got agitated when I got too close. I decided to back off and realised it might be poisonous.”

So she instead spent around 30 minutes trying to get the snake, believed to be a mildly venomous golden tree snake, into a cardboard box.

“I eventually managed to get it into the box, and then I put it out the window and it went immediately into a tree. I would have been really funny to see, because I was freaking out.

“I’m not afraid of snakes at all but it’s different when you’re so close to it, and you want it to do something.

“It took a long time before I had it in the box, I’m embarrassed to say more than 30 minutes,” she said with a laugh.

Lies, a yoga instructor at Bikram Yoga Phuket, said she had earlier heard some noise under the stairs and wondered if it was a snake or not.

“I was a bit surprised and it was quite funny. It couldn’t really do the small slither because the tiles were slippery, so it was thrashing wildly.”

Lies lives in a jungle area in Ao Makham, and says her garden and the trees around often attract a lot of wildlife. In the year she’s lived there, she’s seen two other snakes outside, plus another one she found in her living room.

“This is not the first time. I recently picked up the skin from a cobra on my windowsill. And I’ve also got two tokay [large geckos] in my house, they are a big problem.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/snake-in-bedroom-gives-phuket-woman-a-fright-39741.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-29

Agreed. Good way to handle the problem. Cool lady.

Btw. It's nice to read this kind of more positive news every now and then.

i kill every snake in my garden ,green ones ,cobras,ratsnakes........ i smash them and cut of the head.

i have 2 kids (4 and 5 y) running arround in my garden and i take no risk !

Imagine i catch a snake ,release it 2 km from my home ......and there it goes in another garden and bites a kid !

My advise to all :kill the reptile before it has a chance to kill a child.

Imagine if we applied this to the most dangerous being on the planet: The 2-legged human.

Killing all reptiles is just completely wrong. They have their necessary place in the ecosystems and take out other animals, like rats, that we don't wish to come to come to close to us either. You just cannot 'child proof' the world. If it isn't one thing, it's another that's dangerous for the kids. I would educate my kids about snakes and as far as I understand snakes just don't come at you out of the blue and start biting.

agree with that Mrdome found some pretty big ones near my house and under the car a few times took em up with some garden tools moved them to a bush about 1 km from the house but most of the times they tend to come back but luckily whenever my neibour sees me hunting snake again he hunts too ,only then they end up on the BBQ

• Like 1

Agreed. Good way to handle the problem. Cool lady.

Btw. It's nice to read this kind of more positive news every now and then.

I would have used chop stickswai.gif

Perfectly good way to catch snakes.. well at least the very small ones.

And if it fails, it's time to use fork and knife and then heat up the BBQ.

"I’ve also got two tokay [large geckos] in my house, they are a big problem.”

Yes they keep inviting the snakes in........Doesn't matter how often i tell them not to ..

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 1

Yes they keep inviting the snakes in........Doesn't matter how often i tell them not to ..

suddenly thought of the time i saw a palmsnake moving around a palm tree ,all the way up ,whe it was almost at the top the geckos and other lizzards just jumped off the tree

• Like 1

Ahaetulla prasina (Oriental Whip snakes)

Thai: ThaiSnakeName-36.gif(ngu kieo hua ching chok pa)

A little bit poisonous (for lizards and other small animals).

This is no oriental whip snake !

This proves how little most people know about snakes ,"A little bit poisonous"?????

How can you give such a misleading advise?

beatdeadhorse.gif

This snake (to me) looks like it could be of the golden tree snake family?? mildly venomous not dangerous, which normally means that thier fangs are in the rear of the mouth. Check it out

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/rear-fanged/golden-tree-snake-mildly-venomous-not-very-dangerous/

I think it should be a

Chrysopelea ornata ornatissima (Grüne Schmuckbaumnatter)
Thai: ThaiSnakeName-29.gif(ngu kieo lai dok mak)

(acoording to http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_common.html)

I've been a little bit surprised at the new beautifull decoration in my bathroom.

She was not scared at all, willingly crept on the shovel I offered, and was happy to be back

in the garden trees...

post-135808-0-52519300-1369881317_thumb.

This one has been a little harder to rescue since she was trapped in the sieve of the shower plughole.

post-135808-0-36268500-1369880837_thumb.

OOps...forgot the attachments. Look at the following post

Edited by Lupusthai

I think it should be a

Chrysopelea ornata ornatissima (Grüne Schmuckbaumnatter)
Thai: ThaiSnakeName-29.gif(ngu kieo lai dok mak)

(acoording to http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_common.html)

I've been a little bit surprised at the new beautifull decoration in my bathroom.

She was not scared at all, willingly crept on the shovel I offered, and was happy to be back

in the garden trees...

post-135808-0-52519300-1369881317_thumb.

This one has been a little harder to rescue since she was trapped in the sieve of the shower plughole.

post-135808-0-36268500-1369880837_thumb.

suddenly thought of the time i saw a palmsnake moving around a palm tree ,all the way up ,whe it was almost at the top the geckos and other lizzards just jumped off the tree

That's the quickest way down

i kill every snake in my garden ,green ones ,cobras,ratsnakes........ i smash them and cut of the head.

i have 2 kids (4 and 5 y) running arround in my garden and i take no risk !

Imagine i catch a snake ,release it 2 km from my home ......and there it goes in another garden and bites a kid !

My advise to all :kill the reptile before it has a chance to kill a child.

Imagine if we applied this to the most dangerous being on the planet: The 2-legged human.

Killing all reptiles is just completely wrong. They have their necessary place in the ecosystems and take out other animals, like rats, that we don't wish to come to come to close to us either. You just cannot 'child proof' the world. If it isn't one thing, it's another that's dangerous for the kids. I would educate my kids about snakes and as far as I understand snakes just don't come at you out of the blue and start biting.

I dont kill all reptiles ,only the ones in my garden .

The snake will not come out of the blue ......but running children can step on them !

Their "necessary place " is not my garden .

And i'm not chold proving the world ,just my garden .

So please read correctly ,i hope you have no children .beatdeadhorse.gif

Mate, you wrote "My advise to all :kill the reptile". We all read correctly.

I lived in the same area for 4 months, loved being away from busy areas. I had the same snake come in my front door trying to get away from a cat. After taking a few pictures I got him/her out but it went under my scooter and up inside it. My GF and I tried for an hour to get it out but no luck. We never saw it come out and had eyes on the scooter the whole time. It definitely made our next trip on the scooter an interesting one. I tried to hit every bump I could to get it out but we never saw it again. I sold the scooter a month later.

they are considered harmless because their toxicity is not dangerous to humans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChrysopeleaI was a bit more worried about this one:

Where was the video taken? I saw a snake just like the one in the video but it didn't have its hood out, just crossing a path in front of me. It was the same color and size, I was thinking it was a cobra but wasn't sure.