The One-Month Haircut In Thailand!

Eesat

Is it just me but in Bangkok there seems to be nowhere decent to get a haircut,I've tried all the big shopping malls but to no avail.Also 500 baht for a haircut is considered cheap and some places have tried to charge 1,000 baht for a haircut,that's more than Europe!w00t.gif

Every time I go to a hairdressers they give me a one-month haircut,meaning that within two weeks it's looking untidy again and one-month later you start to look like Bigfoot or a Yeti,seeing as we are in Asia!Now I know for many posters here having too much hair really won't be an issue but are they taught to give these light grazing haircuts at college here or what?
I don't mind having a haircut every 2 or 3 months no problem but every month?Come on!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know what u mean, I go to the same place but NEVER get the same person twice and they cut way too little off despite me telling them more more more.

They don't even look at how you part your hair and I end up with a side not centre parting.

Its only 120 baht though and I do enjoy the head massage, in fact sod the haircut just keep massaging my head for an hour hahahaha.

Its at Seacon Square if you go in off Srinakarin Road there is a pedestrian bridge, its just as you go in through the doors off that bridge on the left.

Edited by kannot

20 years ago in ShangHai, you could get a good haircut on the sidewalk for about 50Baht. The barber just set up a wooden stool and you could sit and watch all the people pass by.

Maybe someone who is low on funds could try the same thing in Chiang Mai.

500 baht? You must be getting a hair cut in some up market mall?

I get the 80 baht hair cuts with a shave and a nice shoulder and head massage, then give them 200 baht feeling pretty happy about it.

Just try a little road side place.

I have given up on hair dressers here.

Even the top of the range : ie Vidal Sassoons or Cut & Curl where you can easily part with $150 - $ 200 for highlights + cut, hair dresses have no decent training.

Ask them why they still use foil for coloring whereas the western world has switched to plastic wrappers for about 10 years now, since it damages the hair, you won't get any answer.

Ask them for a flash (final touch to blend highlights and roots) they have no clue of what it is and they start getting grumpy.

Here highlights means ONE color and one color only. Ask your colorist for a blend of 2 different colors to give depth to the color and all he can say is that you pay double with a vacant stare as he has no clue and never done it. No advice as to how it could complement you skin color, your actual hair color, how the colors could work together or how its will fit your cut. you have the choice between cheap looking blond, fake looking blond and puke blond.

Ask for more colors and you might get shown the door as the hair colorist is losing face as you are pointing his ignorance.

In Cut & Curls the girl actually did my cut based on my previous haircut, she just cut the same length everywhere without checking the balance ! i happened to be quite impulsive with my hair and sometime chuck a lock or two, little did I knew my future hair cut will be based on it !

She did highlights parallel to my actual skull instead of the angle technique used in the West and her dividing technique was just random.

I had to remind her of the importance of checking the face outline, in cut and coloring as she did not bother to do look at it.

They ALL wash the hair before coloring!

In Bangkok I even had a hairdresser buying a rubber cap with wholes to do highlights like it was done in the 80's!

The list goes on and on ...

I know many expat ladies who fly to Hong Kong for their hair, I cannot afford it, so like many here, we learn to do it ourselves !

• Like 1

Even the top of the range : ie Vidal Sassoons or Cut & Curl where you can easily part with $150 - $ 200 for highlights + cut, hair dresses have no decent training.

Ask them why they still use foil for coloring whereas the western world has switched to plastic wrappers for about 10 years now, since it damages the hair, you won't get any answer.

Ask them for a flash (final touch to blend highlights and roots) they have no clue of what it is and they start getting grumpy.

Here highlights means ONE color and one color only. Ask your colorist for a blend of 2 different colors to give depth to the color and all he can say is that you pay double with a vacant stare as he has no clue and never done it. No advice as to how it could complement you skin color, your actual hair color, how the colors could work together or how its will fit your cut. you have the choice between cheap looking blond, fake looking blond and puke blond.

Ask for more colors and you might get shown the door as the hair colorist is losing face as you are pointing his ignorance.

In Cut & Curls the girl actually did my cut based on my previous haircut, she just cut the same length everywhere without checking the balance ! i happened to be quite impulsive with my hair and sometime chuck a lock or two, little did I knew my future hair cut will be based on it !

She did highlights parallel to my actual skull instead of the angle technique used in the West and her dividing technique was just random.

I had to remind her of the importance of checking the face outline, in cut and coloring as she did not bother to do look at it.

In Bangkok I even had a hairdresser buying a rubber cap with wholes to do highlights like it was done in the 80's!

I know many expat ladies who fly to Hong Kong for their hair, I cannot afford it, so like many here, we learn to do it ourselves !

I've heard of Health Tourists in the UK but now,Thailand is the hub of Haircut Tourism!laugh.png

I was about to commiserate with you regarding getting a decent haircut here then I finished reading your post and a couple comments. Perhaps it is a cultural difference but, in my opinion, a man's haircut should last 2-4 weeks. My problem has been rather the opposite of yours, most places I went tried to scalp me making it a 5-6 week haircut (enough time to grow it out and try to get it fixed) instead of my normal 2-3 weeks. I have had the most success with the cheap local places where I can find a man to cut my hair rather than a woman or ladyboy. When I lived in Chiang Mai the first place I tried was excellent and I stuck with them but it took five or six attempts to find a decent barber in Bangkok. During the search I had one woman completely ignore my instructions and just take a set of clippers to my head (she started right over the forehead so there was no opportunity to correct the mistake), another use a combination of very dull scissors and a weird technique to give me the first painful haircut I have ever had, and 3-4 more who cut my hair unevenly and too short. My haircut is not complicated or unusual, just a classic side part (think Tom Brokaw).

Yep I know what you mean getting a decent haircut here and what you ask for is a nightmare. Went through so many times of saying what I wanted and my wife telling them and everytime it would be half what I asked for and half of the latest David Beckham haircut.

One thing that does my nut in here is you just want a trim so the ideal thing is to see what your hair is like before washing it, but no the hair dresser doesn't get off their backside and they insist on washing your hair. Then they ask what you want, well if you had bothered to look at my hair you would know.

Then you get the ones who want to do 3 or 4 people at once and then guess what it's blooming awful.

If I find a decent one I tip 100 baht and guess what ? All the above changes.

FIrst decent one I found was in Sri Racha , he left. Then one in tescos at Ohn Nuch BTS, she left. Now i use a guy in tescos at Amadta nakon Chonburi.

Most fun haircut is in the Underground station at cnr Sukhumvit and Asoke Rd.

Take the escalator down to the first underground point, the bit where you can transverse under Asoke Rd (not all the way down to the ticket office).

There is a small walkway/arcade to the left.

Just near the entrance they have a series of booths which offer a haircut for 100Baht.

The fun bit is after the haircut you get vacuumed ... w00t.gif ... lasted maybe a month ... definately an experience.

Take the escalator down to the first underground point, the bit where you can transverse under Asoke Rd (not all the way down to the ticket office).

Just near the entrance they have a series of booths which offer a haircut for 100Baht.

The fun bit is after the haircut you get vacuumed ... w00t.gif ... lasted maybe a month ... definately an experience.

Have you tried some of the other hairdressers in the area ? They might be more fun. coffee1.gif

The fun bit is after the haircut you get vacuumed ... w00t.gif ... lasted maybe a month ... definitely an experience.

Have you tried some of the other hairdressers in the area ? They might be more fun. coffee1.gif

I have a gf now and get advised where to get my haircut.

Highly professional guy, good style cut, great head massage by his assistant.

200 Baht and I'm a happy man.

Her old man laughs at me and next time apparently I have promised to visit his 50 Baht barber ... I just hope he's not barbarous ... biggrin.png

Agree with all about the poor haircuts here.

They just do not seem to understand that this is a service industry in which they look at you, listen to,what you want and then do it.

It's a bloody nightmare.

The entire ordeal is fraught with peril.

The experienced ones try to get away with just snapping on the #2's and shearing away, hoping that you're one in the same with the bullet-headed fough-bouwgh mob that hits the barbershop in the way to the tattoo-parlor.

Some of these self-regarding morons think it's all about how THEY want you to look.

Many of these idiots in the beauty shops actually carry on as if you're there to get to know them better.

If not, they think you're there to take them up on the latest lor-mak gigolo-gel style they've seen in the gossip mags or on star TV.

If you are lucky enough to get the someone who has enough brain cells to understand you are NOT there to get styled they won't have enough cells left over to remember where your part was when you walked into the shop. And that's even whether it was a left or right side part.

God help you if they screw it up. As you're staring into the mirror in horror and disbelief at what's taken at least an hour for some on-the-job training simpleton to pull off, and an expression of utter horror and disbelief creeps across your face the entire hang will chime out Lor, Lor, Lor-mak, mak until they feel they've f8king hypnotized you into buying into an infallible consensus.

It's easier to find a decent nightlife rascal than it is to find a good haircut in this city.

I am in a terrible mood when I go in to one of these places and incredibly relived to get the hell out.

Like everything else here, it's all about the person who's doing it. If you tip them for a good cut it's going to get parlayed into a huge story.

I don't suppose they will have much training or experience of anything other than black hair, could be a business idea in that?.

in the village/suburb my wife hails from, the two barbers have colluded on price yet again, its now 50 baht for a haircut, shave and a good head and neck massage.

when i return for a holiday, i have already bought for my preferred barber a new shaving brush, i really like the fellow and his new wife, nice people.

once i was halfway through a haircut near wat po in bkk, when in walked 5 monks for a haircut, rapidly i was relegated to the waiting seats, whilst all the monks were dealt with first.

I don't suppose they will have much training or experience of anything other than black hair, could be a business idea in that?.

The remarks I made are not black hair specific