C T H Offering Satellite As Well As Cable-T V: Thailand

webfact

Call the call centre and register. Number on website. CTH service goes live 21st June. Package prices will be confirmed by them by 20th. Although what The Nation has reported I heard about last week. Now satellite coverage confirmed I foresee no issues.

CTH website is only in Thai, they have been running a 'ticker tape' message along the bottom of all their channels on my cable service in Khon Kaen for the last few days, only in Thai, gives the information about the set top boxes. I have sent many messages to them (in English), since they got the EPL contract, from the contact page on their website but have never received a reply. Does not bode well.

CTH website is only in Thai, they have been running a 'ticker tape' message along the bottom of all their channels on my cable service in Khon Kaen for the last few days, only in Thai, gives the information about the set top boxes. I have sent many messages to them (in English), since they got the EPL contract, from the contact page on their website but have never received a reply. Does not bode well.

Sorry pressed wrong button

Nice avatar.

Us Rams know all about the Prem dont we?

Not enough information,I wish them luck,anything that dents TrueVisions

monopoly has to be a good thing, just hope they have everything up and

running by August,fingers crossed.

regards Worgeordie

Yes, remove TrueVisions' monopoly of the EPL and give it to another monopoly, while True still holds the monopoly (upcountry at least) on other channels, including Setanta for rugby. it will be interesting to see if this causes True to cut their prices for the sports package, otherwise it's like going from one shop, holding a monopoly on bread and butter, to two shops; one with a monopoly on bread, the other on butter, located at opposite ends of town, and still paying the same price that the old bread and butter monopoly charged for the bread and butter combined, just for the bread alone, while now having to pay extra for the butter. If you get what I mean. While I can live on bread alone, much easier than butter alone, the two combined are far more enjoyable. Do I really want to be paying more to get both though than when they were sold together by the bad old monopoly?

Yes True are giving 100 bht discount for not having EPL, you happy with that? regards Worgeordie

No, I'm not happy with that, but like I said, I'll have to decide which option to take. I'd rather have the rugby than the EPL, so I'll have to keep paying True virtually the same amount, minus the 100 baht, to continue with that (no cable in my area, satellite only), and decide whether to pay the extra for the other dish and encoder to receive EPL, or live without it. I suspect I'll decide to take it, so will end up paying more to receive exactly the same sports I get now. I also suspect that CTH, having removed EPL from True, will want to be the only provider in the country, and will take steps to get it removed from its non affiliated local cable networks, or price it out of their range. The thing about breaking up a monopoly is that it only works when the services formerly restricted to that monopoly are made available from multiple providers, who freely compete for your custom. If True and CTH both offered rugby, champions league, a decent news channel, and EPL, with them both competing for my money accordingly, then I'd be celebrating the end of a monopoly.

The EPL has to take some of the blame here too. When they talk about 'promoting' their product worldwide they don't mean how many viewers can see English league football but how much money can they screw from the local TV companies by auctioning it off to the highest bidder. CTH are paying a lot, lot more for the EPL than True ever did.

Edited by bigbamboo

We bought a package from Dynasat a couple of years ago, plenty of movie channels, sports, national geographic etc only to loose everything 6 weeks later 28K baht flushed down the toilet. Apparently they were pirating a Malaysian company's service and selling it on. The original company updated it's security and changed it's encryption. All we had left was the dish, the box and 3 free to air channels. The BBC, Australia Network and a religious channel.

We actually thought they were a legitamite company as they were selling in major shopping centres. Lesson learnt don't trust anyone.

I dunno what you are complaining about - the BBC news channel is excellent (apart from all them annoying trailers).

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

It does seem very strange that, after all this publicity and hype over their coming launch, as another poster mentioned above...

Last time I looked at the CTH website, they had zero information that I could find about any package details or pricing. Not even a full list of available channels... Just images of some of the different channels they will be carrying.

For all the money involved, it still looks like a monkey and tin can type operation.

How does this new satellite thing help all of us who live in condos? At the moment most condos have shared satellite dishes on the roof and the individual residents just have to get the set-top box. So do we have to wait for the owners to decide to get a new dish compatible with CTH or are satellite dishes generic and we just need a CTH set-top box? Forgive my ignorance but I'm clueless about the technology of satellite TV.

Does anyone else feel a wheel is about to come off this venture ?

I've given up trying to find out about this, ask 4 people and get 5 different answers.

I have seen nothing on paper about this new TV Cable/Satellite company. No brochures in the mailbox, no booths at malls. How do you contact these people. I am a keen EPL viewer and the costs seem reasonable.

Has anyone managed to get clear information from any of their staff? Is that actually possible.

They had a booth outside Pantip Plaza last month.

Edited by phil2

How does this new satellite thing help all of us who live in condos? At the moment most condos have shared satellite dishes on the roof and the individual residents just have to get the set-top box. So do we have to wait for the owners to decide to get a new dish compatible with CTH or are satellite dishes generic and we just need a CTH set-top box? Forgive my ignorance but I'm clueless about the technology of satellite TV.

The dish is quite small so you can probably place it on your balcony if you have line of sight to the satellite.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone in Bangkok taken up this new offer with CTH ? Am looking to subscribe and realise that this new company has exclusive rights to EPL but the other channels it offer 120 ? how good are they ?

Also what about rugby is that still shown on True ?

Is it good value ? any suggestions

feat_5991.jpg

Family_Entertainment_Cable1.jpg

Family_Entertainment_Sat1.jpg

Price *. * Details. 899 baht / month. Monthly payments per month

to pay for the one month contract and pay the first month membership and 50% of the normal setting 999 the monthly normal. Average 748 baht / month. 10 months to 12 months to pay.
paid the full amount just once. 50% of the cost of installation and the installation of 999 regular customers can relax with 0% up to 10 month to the credit card bank. Besieged by the credit card networks. (Ayudhya and credit card. Central Card card. Simple Card Visa Card. Tesco Visa card) KTC credit card and besieged by First Choice.

Average 673 baht / month. Pay 18 months to 24 months.
paid the full amount just one installation and free first point. Customers can relax with 0% up to 10 month to the credit card bank. Besieged by the credit card networks (Ayudhya and credit card. Central Card card. Simple Card Visa Card. Tesco Visa card). KTC credit card or installment with 0% interest for 18 months through KRUNGSRI First Choice.

Average 599 baht / month. 24 months to 36 months to pay.
paid the full amount just one installation and free first point. s customers can relax with 0% up to 10 month to the credit card bank. Besieged by the credit card networks. (Ayudhya and credit card. Central Card card. Simple Card Visa Card. Tesco Visa card) or KTC credit card payment. paying 0% interest for 24 month card besieged First Choice.

http://www.cth.co.th/package-599/

CTH seems quite a bit cheaper but except for the football, they seem to have quite an inferior line up of channels to True.

I'll most likely end up with both and use True for family viewing and CTH for the football.

In my opinion if one isn't interested in the premier league, like me for instance, the package isn't worth a dime, in fact it's way more overpriced than True Visions.

No CNN,ESPN,BBC,Supersports,HBO,Turbo.,Aljazeera.

• 1 month later...

I would agree with the above comment.. I have just got rid of the True Gold package and replaced it with CTH Satellite..

Firstly the channel line up is nowhere near the quality of True.. I am basically just paying to watch the EPL.. Fortunately they have a few cartoon channels so my 3 year old will still be happy..

For the installation to CTV so far i have paid

1800 deposit for the box

534 installation fee

962 for the first months payment

962 for a deposit for the monthly payment

1000 baht for a cable that was apparently necessary (i was working when it was installed and i left my wife to oversee it)

Overall that is 5258 baht which i think is expensive as a start up when True was free installation.. Granted i will save about 700 baht per month but as above the quality of channels is nowhere near the same.

Put it this way i hope it is a fantastic season in the EPL so this doesn't seem like a huge waste of time..

CTH seems quite a bit cheaper but except for the football, they seem to have quite an inferior line up of channels to True.

I'll most likely end up with both and use True for family viewing and CTH for the football.

As will i,I'm yet to find anything of real interest on CTH I find I mostly watch sky news especially at lunch time when they show the morning programme with old Eamonn.

Been watching the food Asia channel a fair bit also bit of a change,but nothing that has really stuck out,I've said on another thread that the combined price for the two systems doesn't work out much more per year than I paid in the UK,I still work so have no qualms about having maximum viewing potential while on R and R.

In fact I even have Grammy in the bed room which affords me lots more football as well for a small yearly fee with four HD channels.

If I spend a grand on pay TV per year so be it.

As will i,I'm yet to find anything of real interest on CTH I find I mostly watch sky news especially at lunch time when they show the morning programme with old Eamonn.

Been watching the food Asia channel a fair bit also bit of a change,but nothing that has really stuck out,I've said on another thread that the combined price for the two systems doesn't work out much more per year than I paid in the UK,I still work so have no qualms about having maximum viewing potential while on R and R.

In fact I even have Grammy in the bed room which affords me lots more football as well for a small yearly fee with four HD channels.

For the installation to CTV

1800 deposit for the box + dish

534 installation fee

962 for the first months payment

962 for a deposit for the monthly payment

No matter how hard you explain, or a Thai friend explains,,,,,, head Office or different installers this is the price... [Cheaper monthly payment by paying for a longer time...... and the Bank payment is a pain discount only on some Bank cards..........I have 2 Thai bank Visa cards but not on there list !! ]

Crazy,, I have a big 2m dish pointing at the Sat they use and can pick up there free channels, NO cannot use they MUST install another dish + pay the 534 installation fee !! ?

Please can anyone explain why there little blue dish is better than my already fitted 2 meter dish ? or anyone lnow where to simply pay the monthly fee and pick up there box from ?

Edited by ignis

• 9 months later...

We live in CNX. Currently, we have True & CTH (surprise, surprise).

Wife - likes English f/ball (soccer) & Thai TV

Me - Oz - Oz ABC, Rugby League

True expires SOON!

Suggestions from other members re alternatives? There will be 2-3 connections. We live in a condo but are moving to a house at the end of the year.

I wish to watch shows on TV - not on the internet ie NOT on the computer.

How much have I invested on TV services in LOS? TOO MUCH!

• 1 year later...

I signed up for the dish, installation & 12 months in advance in August 2014 and it seems the subscription expired about 3 weeks ago. I'm still receiving all the channels and have not received any renewal request, either by email or snail mail. So what is my status? I rang up CTH but couldn't get a straight answer although it seems I am un-financial (and albeit I get reception).

Asked what I need to do to renew, the CS staff starts talking about new packages, STB and dish which points at a different satellite. - can't I just renew the existing subscription for another 12 months without needing a technician for anything? Or should I just do nothing and hope I continue to get reception off the Vinasat satellite ad finitum? I should add that it's a rental property, usually for short-term holiday rentals and the risk is that the reception gets cut off suddenly & the tenant rightfully complains and I don't have an immediate fix.

Edited by AverageAussie