2 Unusual Things I Noticed At The Bkk Airport

muythai2013

Slightly related story to the OP.

In 2000 I flew from London to San Francisco and then to Boise. When I got home I noticed that about 5-7 items of clothing I'm sure I packed were gone from my luggage, including a cool pair of shorts that were my favorite. I was pretty peeved. As my luggage had sat in San Fran airport for 7 hours (long long layover) I'm pretty sure it happened there. I wouldn't be surprised as the general airport staff there were the rudest I can ever remember coming across. I guess one of them must have been a thief as well!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......check in luggage has clothes, toileteries etc so no need for any locks.

Why would anybody else do different ?.

Just because you have something does not mean that some luggage handler/inspector doesn't want it and will take it with impunity as unions have lobbied against any CCTV covering these workers for security reasons etc.

Low paid unsupervised security staff are I believe the root of the problem in all airports.

The basic handlers don't have the privacy and access time to take stuff, and apart from on their person nowhere to stash it.

Many documented cases of security staff on the take.

On a couple of occasions at Swampy I have misread the fixed stare of one of the Customs guys and moved to take my bags through the 'Goods to Declare' X-ray machine in the arrivals hall - each and every time I have been waved away and they have grabbed a Thai traveller instead.

No Hawaiian shirt, no beer belly hanging out over my trousers, no sandals-with-socks dress code : just a regular schmuck relieved to be off that bloody plane. Might be different when I fly BKK-NRT or SIN for a little shopping excursion, but to date they have shown zero interest in my possessions on flights coming into LOS (same-same everywhere else in Asia that I've been - they couldnt have cared less). Perhaps there really is an upside to putting 'Nana Hotel' in the tiny space they give you to list your address in Thailand :D

Saw something on Stickman the other day where he linked to a report claiming that Thailand will be the 'most visited' country in the world in 2013 : bodes well for Customs showing little interest in the vast majority of folk striding purposefully toward the exit. thumbsup.gif

My guess is that Thai customs officers are instructed not to check farangs because it could put off some people from traveling.

I rolled through customs some while ago pushing a large 28" computer monitor plus other large bags and they showed strictly no interest.

My guess is that Thai customs officers are instructed not to check farangs because it could put off some people from traveling.

Yet Thai Visa contains stories of people getting busted for bringing in too many cigarettes.

......check in luggage has clothes, toileteries etc so no need for any locks.

Why would anybody else do different ?.

Just because you have something does not mean that some luggage handler/inspector doesn't want it and will take it with impunity as unions have lobbied against any CCTV covering these workers for security reasons etc.

Low paid unsupervised security staff are I believe the root of the problem in all airports.

The basic handlers don't have the privacy and access time to take stuff, and apart from on their person nowhere to stash it.

Many documented cases of security staff on the take.

Why did you cut my post saying expensive items should be carried on?.

Are you worried someone will pinch your undies?.