Budweiser In Chaing Mai?

PaigeLeo

The OP must have known he'd be slammed for requesting Budweiser in Thailand. (Maybe it's a troll post.) Or perhaps he's just realizing now that Anheuser-Busch, Miller, and Coors products (the big 3 in US brewing) are thought internationally to be some of the most insipid beers ever made. I was in Friendship supermarket earlier in the week and noticed a decent selection of European brews, including a few from Belgium -- a country that has great respect for brewing and IMHO probably the most consistently good beer in the world. Get away from that mega-mass produced US swill and treat your taste buds to some real suds.

IMO, local Heineken, Beer Lao and Tiger Beer are very similar and much cheaper. You might considering giving them a try before spending a lot of money on imported stuff.

Whoah, i think its been a while since youve had some a Bud, it taste like water compared to those you listed.

Bud light is good if your on a diet though, hmmm may be a market there for low carb beer with all these farang beer guts bouncing around.

Bud is the only beer i can drink hot, doesnt get musty like the thai stuff.

After going back to the states, i cant get a buzz with Bud anymore, takes too long, get lazy and quit drinking.

Budweiser???? Jeez. If I absolutely, positively was stuck with only American beer, it would be Samuel Adams - probably Boston Lager.

Beers have been losing popularity and Bud has lost sales due to sales of wine. Good wine is dirt cheap in the US. Maybe they can pawn some Bud off on other countries. I'm American and not much of a drinker, but I never buy American beer. I sure wouldn't pay a premium for it. It's a cultural thing. Beer is supposed to taste like - urp - Bud.

It is kind of funny to see somebody looking for Bud but I saw something recently about Budweiser getting a foothold in Europe. Is that true?

There is no way that could be true.

Though it might be hard to understand why it would be a successful business model, Budweiser is now brewed in Ireland, Morocco, Vietnam, Korea, and China and has been successful in each of those markets. Main problem in Thailand is the import duties (when Rimping tried stocking Bud a few months ago the were chargning 180 Baht per 330 ml bottle). But I bet that if Annheiser Busch set up a brewery here as Heinekein did and was able to sell at the same price as Heinekin that they wouldn't do badly.

The OP must have known he'd be slammed for requesting Budweiser in Thailand. (Maybe it's a troll post.) Or perhaps he's just realizing now that Anheuser-Busch, Miller, and Coors products (the big 3 in US brewing) are thought internationally to be some of the most insipid beers ever made. I was in Friendship supermarket earlier in the week and noticed a decent selection of European brews, including a few from Belgium -- a country that has great respect for brewing and IMHO probably the most consistently good beer in the world. Get away from that mega-mass produced US swill and treat your taste buds to some real suds.

Budweiser is kind of belgian now.

Anheuser-Busch was acquired by belgian brewer InBev in 2008...

It is kind of funny to see somebody looking for Bud but I saw something recently about Budweiser getting a foothold in Europe. Is that true?

The real Budweiser is a Czech beer and is sold already for many years in Europe, at least in Germany. Concerning the quality, let me express it like this: the Czech Budweiser is served in heaven, the US Bud is for the sinners in the HELL.

• Like 1

The real Budweiser is a Czech beer and is sold already for many years in Europe, at least in Germany. Concerning the quality, let me express it like this: the Czech Budweiser is served in heaven, the US Bud is for the sinners in the HELL.

Which one is "real Budweiser" is open to interpretation and court rulings on it have generally been tinged with nationalism. Budweiser was originally a generic term referring to pale lagers from a particular region of the modern day Czech Republic, much as Champagne referred to sparking wine from a particular region of France. But American Budweiser is actually older than the Czech company that sells the "real" Budweiser in Europe.

No kidding! They must have felt that Bud in its US form was a travesty to beer, so maybe they bought Anheuser-Busch hoping to slowly change their formulas until (unknowingly) people in the US were actually drinking real beer.

Of course, not all US beer is bad and many micro-breweries have opened, but according to a documentary I saw ("Beer Wars", I believe) Anheuser-Busch controls about 1/2 the US market and is extremely aggressive in eliminating the competition, often by simply buying the other brand then either dropping it or mass-producing it in their huge factories. Of course, what was once a nicely crafted brew made in smallish batches (take Rolling Rock, for example) becomes noticeably plainer and closer to the insipid swill they've been making for years. What was also interesting is how many formats Bud is sold in, utilizing different size containers and different quantities of bottles or cans. What this does is allow them to create the equivalent of a huge billboard right in the grocery store.

Hopefully, the US brewing scene will see more of these good micro-breweries getting a foothold. I was working in Houston, Texas for about 1/2 a year on a project and attended a beer festival that featured products from all the surrounding little breweries. There was truly some wonderful beer to be had, so of course, Americans know how to make good beer -- they just have to resist the hard-ball marketing of the big 3, especially Anheuser-Busch, which doesn't play nicely, at all.

Believe me, I am not trying to argue with you. But after so many years hearing about the Czech's Bud(var), I finally tasted one (in Hong Kong).

It is certainly a question of taste... But in this case I could not finish my glass. I quickly switched to a Hoegaarden (there was no Budweiser).

No kidding! They must have felt that Bud in its US form was a travesty to beer, so maybe they bought Anheuser-Busch hoping to slowly change their formulas until (unknowingly) people in the US were actually drinking real beer.

Of course, not all US beer is bad and many micro-breweries have opened, but according to a documentary I saw ("Beer Wars", I believe) Anheuser-Busch controls about 1/2 the US market and is extremely aggressive in eliminating the competition, often by simply buying the other brand then either dropping it or mass-producing it in their huge factories. Of course, what was once a nicely crafted brew made in smallish batches (take Rolling Rock, for example) becomes noticeably plainer and closer to the insipid swill they've been making for years. What was also interesting is how many formats Bud is sold in, utilizing different size containers and different quantities of bottles or cans. What this does is allow them to create the equivalent of a huge billboard right in the grocery store.

Hopefully, the US brewing scene will see more of these good micro-breweries getting a foothold. I was working in Houston, Texas for about 1/2 a year on a project and attended a beer festival that featured products from all the surrounding little breweries. There was truly some wonderful beer to be had, so of course, Americans know how to make good beer -- they just have to resist the hard-ball marketing of the big 3, especially Anheuser-Busch, which doesn't play nicely, at all.

It difficult to compare beers coming from micro breweries with mass productions beers.

I think that both types have their place on the market.

The best selling beer in the US is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser. So, it cannot be that bad.

A mass producer like AB-InBev brews every type of beers, be it Budweiser or Corona (being fully acquired now) but also premium beers like Stella Artois and high quality super premium brands like Leffe...

Mass producer can make a great brand global and accessible to many people around the world. That is the good side of the big brewers.

A bad beer would be difficult to sell. So, in my opinion, if the people buy Bud light and Budweiser so much it means they like the product.

Since the acquisition of A-B by InBev the Budweiser brand is expanding worldwide.

If the people drink Budweiser in other countries it could be in part for the "America in a bottle" experience, more than its taste. But is it such a bad beer? I don't think so. I even drink some myself. And I am not American...

There is no way that could be true.

Recall people saying the same thing about American fast food companies.

It difficult to compare beers coming from micro breweries with mass productions beers.

I think that both types have their place on the market.

The best selling beer in the US is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser. So, it cannot be that bad.

A mass producer like AB-InBev brews every type of beers, be it Budweiser or Corona (being fully acquired now) but also premium beers like Stella Artois and high quality super premium brands like Leffe...

Mass producer can make a great brand global and accessible to many people around the world. That is the good side of the big brewers.

A bad beer would be difficult to sell. So, in my opinion, if the people buy Bud light and Budweiser so much it means they like the product.

Since the acquisition of A-B by InBev the Budweiser brand is expanding worldwide.

If the people drink Budweiser in other countries it could be in part for the "America in a bottle" experience, more than its taste. But is it such a bad beer? I don't think so. I even drink some myself. And I am not American...

That's certainly all valid and and well expressed. And I agree that Bud/ Bud Light isn't an offensive drink, but it lacks character, IMO. I would also say that the biggest reason it's the #1 seller in the US is due to A-B's very aggressive marketing and hard-handed domination of the industry.

Another interesting thread might be asking about the worst swill you've ever drunk that had the audacity to call itself beer. My work has allowed me to spend time in many parts of North America, and way back in the mid-late 70's I ended up in the Yukon Territory in Northern Canada for about 4 months on a job. There were no breweries in the Yukon at that time, so the beer came up from British Columbia. Unfortunately, there was a brewers strike going on in BC at the time, so the shelves were bare. Eventually, a couple of brands showed up, one from Alaska I believe that was pretty bad. Anyway, I'll never forget one that was truly swill called Uncle Ben's. I've heard that it got better over time, and the brewery may still exist, but back then it was awful.

I do not pretend to be a beer expert. I like what I like and that is about it, but to me going on about how "terrible" Budweiser is, is just fashion. It is the same as saying that Starbucks coffee is "terrible". I do not think that Budweiser is especially good or especially bad and I would put Starbucks coffee in the same category. However, Starbucks is overpriced and so is Budweiser beer in Thailand. I can get behind that.

• Like 2

I do not pretend to be a beer expert. I like what I like and that is about it, but to me going on about how "terrible" Budweiser is, is just fashion. It is the same as saying that Starbucks coffee is "terrible". I do not think that Budweiser is especially good or especially bad and I would put Starbucks coffee in the same category. However, Starbucks is overpriced and so is Budweiser beer in Thailand. I can get behind that.

No it's not connoisseur stuff, but in certain countries (for instance Vietnam, Korea, or China), I'll take a locally brewed Bud over the locally brewed whatever else any day. And to pretend that Heineken, Stella, beer lao, or whatever are superior is just plain absurd.
  • Like 1

I agree with you that for many people it seems fashionable to say "how bad Budweiser is", while in fact (I believe) that there is nothing wrong with its taste.

Budweiser is an iconic multi-billion dollar brand. If I was American I would be proud to drink it.

I like to say that there is a beer for every moment. Corona at the beach, Budweiser at a party with friends, Stella early evening, Hoegaarden with a sea food dinner, Leffe with connoisseurs, etc...

Budweiser and other imported beers are overpriced in Thailand because of the taxes. But in some supermarkets in Bangkok you can buy it at around 60b a can (not sure the exact price). This is because ABI is testing the market at the moment with promotions.

But once ASEAN becomes reality and the borders open, then foreign beers will be available at a normal price. All the big brewers own breweries in the area, they just wait for the right moment...

• Like 1

I rarely if ever drink Bud when I am home but I have friends who have started getting deeply into high alcohol content craft beers and frankly they'd be better off drinking bud. I went with friends to a craft beer pub and without realizing it, picked one with an alcohol content somewhere around 10%. After a couple of beers I was pretty lit up. So my friends are drinking this stuff like they used to do regular beer. Really not a good idea if you want to keep a functioning liver.

Point is, if I'm going to be hanging out with friends and drinking then I think I'll start looking for something closer to a light beer vs. the tastier but higher alcohol beers. If I'm having only one or two then it's a different story.

I don't see how people can drink some of the local stuff. It gives me a raging headache.

I'm in Los Angeles at the moment and just come back from the super market, one 30 pack of Bud light and another of Coors light ($19.95 Ea) to stock the garage refrigerator.

Bud,Coors or Miller are all right for everyday drinking. I drink them around the house as you can drink allot and keep from getting too buzzed.

To me their just an everyday type of beer, but I would not go out of my way to find one in any foreign country. Let alone in Thailand.

Would of picked up some Leo's but no have.

I have not had a Bud for 10 years and don't miss it. I was in the DC area in February and March visiting. We went to 6 Thai restaurants and they all had Chang Export, Singha, Leo and Tiger Beer. Every super market and liquor stores I was in also carried these brands. Yes I was drinking my Tiger.

On Nimmanhamin soi 17 the Neighborhood restaurant/bar has Budweiser on the menu for 150 baht. I didn't try it, I thought their three large Singha for 290 baht was a much better deal. Nice place, but English is a foreign language there (as it should be, TIT).