Thai Buddhism & Booze

Chao Lao Beach

I will probably get the best rely here that is factual.

Monks do not appear to drink, (at least good monks). What are the rules for Buddhist and Alcohol?

Considering many Thais I know claim they are Buddhist and flaming Alcoholics.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

True monks (Buddhism) will NOT drink alcohol. In fact; the food they eat, traditionally, is also not to give pleasure (taste) so a true monk will mix the rice with any other dished, including any desert. "Food" is only meant to be taken as "sustenance" in order for the body to be able to function; most certainly NOT for the purpose of "enjoyment".

The only "enjoyment" a true monk will aspire to is an ever increasing sense of "self" and "enlightenment".

There are many books written on this subject.

thumbsup.gif

One of the 5 Buddhist precepts (which are what practicing Buddhist lay people adhere to...monks adhere to them plus >200 additional ones) is to abstain from all intoxicants.

Can't get any plainer or clearer than that.

Need to understand that there is a difference between Buddhist practice (i.e. practice of the teachings of Buddha), which is not secular, and the Buddhist religion that developed in the centuries after the Buddha's death. Many (arguably most) Thais self-identify with the Buddhist religion, but do not seriously practice the Buddha's teachings.

However, all Thais are aware of the precept, as the 5 precepts are regularly chanted at temples on religious occasions. And Thais who are serious about Buddhist practice will not drink nor take other intoxicants.

For a monk to knowingly take an intoxicant would be a very serious violation.

• Like 2

Do not confuse those dressed in robes with monks. Many try to fool other people and even themselves, but they can never fool the law of karma which will bring heavy suffering if they cheat the lay people and cause them to lose faith...they are to be greatly pitied.

I can go with that, except I am sure it is the "ever increasing sense of non-self and enlightenment" that makes it all worthwhile.

The only "enjoyment" a true monk will aspire to is an ever increasing sense of "self" and "enlightenment".