Appeals Court confirms 2 years jail sentence to Danish resort manager

webfact

image.jpeg

The Appeals Court on Koh Samui convicted yesterday 21 March 2024 the Danish former resort manager Stig Wulff and his wife to two years and five months in prison for fraud in connection with the transfer of shares in the resort, in which the Dane was previously a managing director, from himself and his British partner to his wife.

The sentence was a confirmation of the sentence which the Criminal Court on Koh Samui first metered out to the Danish-Thai couple. In Thailand, when the lower court and the appeals court reach the same verdict, the case can under normal circumstances not be appealed once again.

The court permitted, however, the lawyer of the Dane, Suwatchai Sawasdi, to post bail for his release during the time until the second case against the Dane will be finished in court next month. While the first case was a criminal case, this second case is a civil lawsuit in which the former partner of the Danish man demands compensation from the Dane and his wife for losing the ownership of their Koh PhangAn property to a local loan shark after they had transferred all the shares to the wife.

by Gregers Møller

Full story: ScandAsia 2024-03-22

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I’m presuming his wife is Thai and his partner was English . Think I’d rather do myself in than spend 2+ years in a Thai prison new a guy in Samui prison who was paying out protection money each week to stop him being molested 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I’m presuming his wife is Thai and his partner was English . Think I’d rather do myself in than spend 2+ years in a Thai prison new a guy in Samui prison who was paying out protection money each week to stop him being molested 

He already did nearly 2 month is detention,  so he knows what is coming.

Danish businessman Stig Wulff was Tuesday morning 21 November 2023 released from the Detention Center of the Thai Immigration Police in Bangkok after having been imprisoned for almost two months in the overcrowded facility.

Hehehehe,

It looks like he's transferred his and his business partners' shares to his wife and she has pawned them to loan sharks!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

this second case is a civil lawsuit in which the former partner of the Danish man demands compensation from the Dane and his wife for losing the ownership of their Koh PhangAn property to a local loan shark after they had transferred all the shares to the wife.

You can't make it up!😂

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Crikey, I was wondering what happened to the 'STIG' now Top Gear was shut down. 

the Stig is regulary on You Tube, Ben Watson I believe his name is.  And he looks nothing like this bloke

• Haha 1

In every case theirs a winner & loser.

The winner - his wife........she gets off scot-free & keeps whatever Shes gained.  

The loser - Stigs Partner....... he's been conned & lost his assets.

That just leaves Stig. He probably succumbed to his wife's patter and did what was asked. Hès not the first & won't be the last to get set-up by his wife. (my opinion only).      

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frankie baby said:

In every case theirs a winner & loser.

The winner - his wife........she gets off scot-free & keeps whatever Shes gained.  

The loser - Stigs Partner....... he's been conned & lost his assets.

That just leaves Stig. He probably succumbed to his wife's patter and did what was asked. Hès not the first & won't be the last to get set-up by his wife. (my opinion only).      

what about the loan shark?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

They should also cancel this dude's retirement visa and deport & ban him once he completes his time in jail.

Oh thanks, better remind the police, they probably missed that. Well spottedSherlock! 😂

17 hours ago, webfact said:

In Thailand, when the lower court and the appeals court reach the same verdict, the case can under normal circumstances not be appealed once again.

A very interesting limitation, certainly might restrain the wealthy who can afford endless petitions to give judicial equality regardless of wealth (ie., billionaires in the US) or political influence. 

But this is Thailand.

Defendents or plaintiffs apparently can completely bypass the whole lower court judicial process to take their case directly to the highest court I the nation - the Constitutional Court. And apparently because there has been no development of evidence through the judicial process before the CC, the CC has the ability to conduct its own investigation to establish a judicial foundation of evidence used to determine innocence or quilt. Given such ectraordinary judicial power, the CC can be exposed to political and/or financial corruption so as to not render a fair and transparent decision by wealthy or political influencers.