Purchasing A Mini Ipad On Promotion At Tukcom Today, What Fun!

MrZM

On Thursday I went to TukCom to ask about the promotion, for those that don't know there is a customer service office on the 6th floor!

The lady's English was quite good. She explained to me I had to be there at 10am and that I needed my passport.

So....

I arrived at 10:10am, arrived at the promotion stand and slightly worried when there weren't any iPads on show.

Ok...

The man told me I had to spend 100baht + in Tops supermarket downstairs and bring the receipt, I thought this must be a joke, I waited a few minutes. The next customer was told the same. Downstairs I went and bought a few bits for the house.

Next...

I showed him the receipt, then was asked for my passport, typed my details into the computer, then I was sent a SMS, of my order, but wait he signed me on for the other tablet on promotion wow how silly.So he changed it there and then.

It's now 10:35am

I am sat there waiting for the iPads to arrive. The man kept saying 11am,11am sure.

It's now 11am

Still sat there, the man turns to me and says you can go get your ipad now. Now I'm thinking what the f^%#!!! He told me to go to the 1st floor and it will be there.

So arrive at the shop, I show him the message of confirmation, he turns around to me and say "mister no have yet come back 12pm"!!

You could imagine what I'm thinking.

Ok it's just after 12 and they arrive, not finished yet, the woman tells me if I want promotion price I have to pay 200baht extra for a protection screen (I was going to get one anyway)! The SMS had a code which was required for the purchase, so he input the code, and told me to go pay, just as I out my phone in my pocket, he called me back and then had to re-do the code.

2 and half hours later I paid 9,200 baht and am now an owner of a Brand new 16gb Mini ipad. Jumped on a taxi and went home.

My point is why do Thai people send everyone round in circles it's not just too westerners but to Thais as well.

I have ran promotions at shops I've had in England, people queuing outside the door to get the special toy, allowed in one by one and purchase the item there and then no messing around.

Also purchasing football tickets for Liverpool and Manchester United at The Avenue today, first was sent to the 4th floor, they said go to second floor, then as you guessed they told me it was on the 3rd floor. Manchester United tickets were sold out. But we were able to purchase Liverpool tickets.

Some will think I'm stupid and bla bla, nothing is made easy in Pattaya.

Anybody else had similar experience

Thanks for reading

• Like 1

Why not just buy one online or at any of the many other shops that sell apple products around pattaya? How much was the actual savings with the "promotion"? This sorta reminds me of people in the states who drive to a gas station 10 miles out of their way to save a penny a gallon on the gas! How much was the aggravation worth.

so you did all that to save 800 baht? the new ipad is 10 000, right?

11,200 at apple store.

but now marketers have a confirmed phone number, name and demographic info to add to a database they can later sell.

im assuming 9200 includes the cost of the screen protector, which is totally pointless unless you shatter the screen, then it will help hold the bits together.

don't forget the 100 baht of xxxx you bought at tops.

it all depends on how you value your time, you saved the amount of money i spent on lunch with my family today at a decent japanese restaurant, so it is nothing to sneeze at i suppose

Edited by metisdead

11,200 at apple store.

but now marketers have a confirmed phone number, name and demographic info to add to a database they can later sell.

im assuming 9200 includes the cost of the screen protector, which is totally pointless unless you shatter the screen, then it will help hold the bits together.

it all depends on how you value your time, you saved the amount of money i spent on lunch with my family today at a decent japanese restaurant, so it is nothing to sneeze at i suppose

I am pretty sure I saw iPad mini for 10k, may have been in the airport(tax free).

But also a number of online stores selling it cheaper , lazzada or lavada

They are 11,200, saving of 2,000baht.

If you could save 15% on everything you bought everyday you'd be a rich man.

At first I didn't expect it to take 2 hours. I assumed they'd be there waiting to be purchased.

What I bought from tops was needed, some juice for the room bla bla bla.

As I said it was fun.

• Like 1

11,200 at apple store.

Which Japananese restaurant you go to?

I find Zen to be excellent.

The California hand rolls are superb and always warm I like that.

The 100baht of xxxx, was grape juice it was lovely, couple of sandwiches and some things from the bakery (preferably I prefer my cakes from Starbucks but money had to be spent).

The screen protector stops scratches and more importantly my sons sticky fingers.

Edited by metisdead

I think 11,200 is the official Apple price, i suspect most shops in Tukcom would sell it to you for 9,200 anyway.

When I bought mine a few months back the official Apple price was still 11,200 but most of the shops in Tukcom wanted around 13,000.

Quote: My point is why do Thai people send everyone round in circles it's not just too westerners but to Thais as well.

I think it revolves around the fact that it gives them the high of being superior to everyone. The same as the Parking lot Gods that you tell you you got to park a full size motorcycle in the scooter area. But I do agree the more circles they can get you to run around in the more self importance they feel.

Happens all the time at the mobile phone shows in Bangkok, get in line from when the door opens, handed a queue number, wait around half a day for a chance to buy some newfangled thing at a discount, then have to show a receipt of something else bought at the show.

if the hassle is worth it to you, go ahead, usually at one of these things it's the only time you'll get discounts from the manufacturers' set price while it's still the current model.

2000 baht is a week salary for Thais.

Well done, I would have done the same thing if I didn't hate Apple products so much.

Edited by balo

I think 11,200 is the official Apple price, i suspect most shops in Tukcom would sell it to you for 9,200 anyway.

Suspect all you want. I bought a new iPad Mini two months ago. Shopped all over MBK in Bangkok, and Tukcom in Pattaya. Finally, the lowest price for an iPad Mini with 32gb and 3G was 17,000 baht, plus screen protector. I bargained everywhere. Congratulations on your price. You got a great machine, and even with a cover, they will fit in the cargo pocket of your shorts. I take mine everywhere because it is so useful.

I am going to ask the one question that no one else has put:

Is this Mini Ipad a genuine product ?

Have you checked the manufacturers serial numbers?

It was the first thing I did when I got home.

Is under warrantee/guarantee until may next year.

I got my iPads a bit easier. I stay in Starwood properties a lot, so Le Meridien KL had a deal to trade points for an iPad. I told the manager I wanted 3 and the next day they arrived, 3 32GB 4G iPad minis! I paid my 700 for the week and left with 1800USD worth of iPads.

Much less run around...

I got my iPads a bit easier. I stay in Starwood properties a lot, so Le Meridien KL had a deal to trade points for an iPad. I told the manager I wanted 3 and the next day they arrived, 3 32GB 4G iPad minis! I paid my 700 for the week and left with 1800USD worth of iPads.

Much less run around...

So all the money you have spent staying in these hotels, collecting and saving points. Think took a lot longer than 2 hours.