Ministry Wants To Make Thais Taller

Lite Beer

truly amazing.whenever i think those morons cant come up with a bigger nonsense they always find something more redicoulus to publish.where the hell they just got those ideas from???

Do you think ministries are on a rota system for making public statement, usually stupid, as in " it's our day, week etc. to make a media release " OR does it come from face as in " the ministry of xxx has just been quoted on TV, can't let them away with that, get something, anything, out there " ?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have twin step-daughters (genetically Thai) who were as tall or taller than the boys in their class, and much taller than the girls. Their diet was basically Thai but with higher protein levels than usual for most (assumption) with some western additions such as Jam, Vegemite, bread/toast and ,yes, I encouraged flavoured milk as their morning take-to-school snack. At 16 they were a head taller than their mother.

There was a free milk school program some years ago, and occasionally the wife would arrive back from the school with a tray of UHT milk cartons. Is this still in existence, or was it banned as being the idea of some other political party, now to be re-instated as a gift from PTP?

I think it got stopped. But yes, for growing kids it's OK. As I said though. There is milk and milk in Thailand. I even watched an advert last night for a pro biotic proudly claiming only 2% sugar.

Other than pure milk, all the yoghurts and yogurt drinks and many pseudo uht products are full of sugar. I know if the kids drink chocolate milk that has sugar, but it is the pseudo milk drinks that are also chock full of it.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The milk programs here have been found to be lacking in quality control, several times over the past few years. UHT milk which was not fit for human consumption, powered milk (imported) which had some additives which were not fit for human consumption, what was labled 'fresh milk' which had a shelf life of less than 5 days, milk requiring refrigration, being ship in the back of a open lorry, etc.

When you look at the milk industry here you will note a Thai charastic, a fixed price for the dairy farmer, a fixed price for the consumer, supply to schools, etc, bids do not vary, for the schools, etc, just the distribution by provience.

As has been mentioned milk is not the solution to the short stature of Thais', just another private sponsered promotion made by a government lackey, for the milk cartel.

• Like 2

Adult asians are overwhelmingly lactose intolerant, it's a genetic thing; Deputy Public Health Minister Cholanan Srikaew perhaps should do a little research before opening his mouth.

Beat me to it.....

http://genetics.thetech.org/original_news/news45

For most asians, continuing to drink milk once they are off the breast is pretty pointless.

Thais should worry more about expanding their brain power. What mindless Thai would even suggest the preposterous notion that they should "breed" bigger Thais?

If you are unfortunate enough to have to watch Thai TV, there are numerous adverts making the claim that milk increases brain power as well.

In that case, may I assume most TVF posters here have had a serious lack of milk...

Cow milk in general is too fat to be called healthy for humans. But skimmed down it actually is pretty healthy, and there is a very strong connection between a countries dairy consumption and average height. See The Netherlands

The argument that no other animal naturally drinks milk after its weaning period, and thus it is not healthy for humans, is rather silly. No animal except the human cooks its food or takes medicine for example. So that must be unhealthy as well?

I drink a lot of milk and always have and I am definately not fat. 184cm and 82 kgs . Always loved the milk straight from the cow which contains plenty of cream.

• Like 2

I for one do not want to see the Thai girls any taller than they are now, love them in the 5 foot range

I hear that. Long live the spin cycle.

Long spin the love cycle smile.png

So can we summize that all things being equal (good diet, exercise, not smoking etc) - drinking milk lengthens life span.

Or is this well meaning nonsense?

I would like to see an education campaign by the ministry of education aimed at promoting healthy eating amongst young people as the main thrust of their diets includes dehydrated noodles, fired meat stuffs, fast foods, or sugary junk consumed with gusto on a regular basis. And with a diet like that it makes no odds how much milk you drink.

Thailand has some of the best food, but worse eating habits in the world - On par with Scotland (no offence scots)

What's wrong with Scotland's eating habits?

Is the Ministry also planning to increase brain capacity commensurate with the new Thai " Super Race " ?

I know we regard this government as ruthless and dictatorial but please don't tell me they are about to get into genetic modification as was much loved in Nazi ideology.

You cannot change genetic makeup by adding milk..water...gold...taksin or anything else. Genetics remains.

On a funnier note they are tge right height now to give a bjob...

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Genetics was the point I was going to make as well.

Students are taught to eat rice at every meal because it's very good for you. Maybe they would get taller if they stop eating a mound of rice everyday and instead improving their protein intake. Milk can help but it doesn't cure short.

Now if only the Health Department chief Jessada Chokdamrongsuk had expressed the wish to make Thai healthier through promoting balanced diets.That would probably make too much sense though.ermm.gif

BTW maybe the lady could start with those government sponsored food courts, a balanced meal for 30 Baht?

Edited by rubl

Is the Ministry also planning to increase brain capacity commensurate with the new Thai " Super Race " ?

I know we regard this government as ruthless and dictatorial but please don't tell me they are about to get into genetic modification as was much loved in Nazi ideology.

You cannot change genetic makeup by adding milk..water...gold...taksin or anything else. Genetics remains.

On a funnier note they are tge right height now to give a bjob...

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Genetics was the point I was going to make as well.

Students are taught to eat rice at every meal because it's very good for you. Maybe they would get taller if they stop eating a mound of rice everyday and instead improving their protein intake. Milk can help but it doesn't cure short.

I would be inclined to check the genetics of a couple of "girls" I have seen in Pattaya Soi 6/1 - they most certainly do not need to be any taller !

truly amazing.whenever i think those morons cant come up with a bigger nonsense they always find something more redicoulus to publish.where the hell they just got those ideas from???

Maybe they finally found out that "ear medicine" is used in breeding small dogs also has the same affect on humans. Hence, the guy bought stocks in the diary industry and now he needs to use his position to beef up the buiz.

Edited by TackyToo

someone ought to send this to National Enquirer... they would have a field day with this BS...

I drank raw milk all my life, it didn't make me taller... its in the "genome" as they say...

So let frankenstein out of his cage, and let him set up shop in LOS... or LOI

"Were Open" for business!

When I was young attended a Thai elementary school that school gave students afternoon warm milk from condensed milk,... sweet !!. I liked it then because it tasted sweet that's all students like the sweet taste. I grew up and I realized that it's not healthy to drink milk from condensed milk.

I went to Bangkok last year and stayed there for four months. Dairy product prices are more expensive than what sold in New York for example one gallon of whole milk sold in NY average price is $4 and some where in low income neighborhoods sold for $3. Whole milk sold at chain supermarkets in Thailand sold by one quart content which already cost average of $3 or more. The milk does not taste as rich as cow milk in USA and in western Europe. I drink soy milk on every day basis but I did not buy soy milk during my stay in BKK because soy milk is sugar added and its content is smaller but more expensive than what sold in NY.

Many Thais live on daily life eating cheap fast food from sidewalk. They may seem health conscious but what they eat is on a daily basis is not. Of course many of them look skinny and shapely when they are young but wait until they pass their prime age of 20's when entering their 30's and 40's both men and women, they age quick and when turning 40' to 50's their real age catch up with them. They have physical ailment about 40's and by the age of early 50's their real age show on their face. Many Thai women my age in BKK look way older than me. I am certain that it has to do with how to take good care of what we eat and the food does not have to be expensive either. They eat mainly rice and little from other food sources that body needs protein and other nutrients.

Drinking milk does not help boost growth. It has to do with genetic of an individual. My Chinese father was a tall Chinese 175 cm. but my Thai mother was a short Thai. My sisters and brothers except me have average heights of 167-170 cm. I am the shortest like my mother of 155 cm.

Edited by BrooklynNY
  • Like 2