What Have You Done To The Pizza? Oh Mamma Mia!

bluweyze

A pizza without cheese is like a day without sunshine.

So that is why one of my boys never sees the sun. He orders pizza's with out cheese.

Takes after his mothers side of the family.

edit

For myself I prefer Feta on it.

Edited by hellodolly

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a take away mushroom and ham pizza last night from Mama Mia and it was with mozzarella cheese and excellent quality as before. If you have any problems discuss it with Joseph as he is a nice guy

It was last night that we went, my wife and I talked to the mother, a nice lady, but she told us they had changed the recipe for this 'healthy' but pretty awful recipe. Something doesn't quite gel, maybe the poster who said they had temporarily run out of mozzarella is correct, but then telling us would have been a better option because I don't give custom to cheese-less pizzas. I have only seen Joseph there once in the many times that we've been, but we go early because of the kids.

Just like telling us that they were out of sausage pizza "sausage pizza mot laaao" would have been the better option as we would have ordered something else and would have most likely returned even though the tomatoe sauce was too sweet and aimed at what Thais might like. But by serving a "hot dog pizza" in order not to lose the sale it was a real disappointment and we never returned.

Edited by elektrified

I had a take away mushroom and ham pizza last night from Mama Mia and it was with mozzarella cheese and excellent quality as before. If you have any problems discuss it with Joseph as he is a nice guy

It was last night that we went, my wife and I talked to the mother, a nice lady, but she told us they had changed the recipe for this 'healthy' but pretty awful recipe. Something doesn't quite gel, maybe the poster who said they had temporarily run out of mozzarella is correct, but then telling us would have been a better option because I don't give custom to cheese-less pizzas. I have only seen Joseph there once in the many times that we've been, but we go early because of the kids.

Just like telling us that they were out of sausage pizza "sausage pizza mot laaao" would have been the better option as we would have ordered something else and would have most likely returned even though the tomatoe sauce was too sweet and aimed at what Thais might like. But by serving a "hot dog pizza" in order not to lose the sale it was a real disappointment and we never returned.
I had one of those hot dog pizzas too. What puzzled me the most about that was that I went to Mamma Mia on the advice of an expert chef on ThaiVisa who, in concurrent threads, was promoting this place and criticizing La Fontana for for not using authentic recipes. Still can't figure out why La Fontana got slammed in this forum an Mamma Mia praised, unless of course there are occasionally conflicts on interest on ThaiVisas food threads. Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

maybe Joseph wolfed that cheese down and replaced it with yogurt biggrin.png

am i hearing right? creme fraiche and hot dogs on pizza?

ever been to a local bakery and bought those little "pizzas" or those pizza from 7/11? taste exactly like that!

OMG, you are so right, just disgusting!!!

I've heard that there is good pizza in Chiang Mai, but I haven't found it in four years here. Why Not? Restaurant on Soi 11 off Nimmanhaemen comes close, but many would probably disagree. At least he's Italian, and doesn't skimp on proper ingredients. A worthy effort, and a good selection of other Italian dishes at reasonable prices.

• Like 2

So they didn't tell you before you ordered the pizza about the new recipe and they came out with creme fraiche or yoghurt on top of the Pizza! May be some Thai staff was playing around with the topping.

You don't play around with Pizza toppings, it's serious stuff! wink.png

Yes exactly, and anyone putting ketchup on their pizza ought to be dragged out into the street and shot like a rabid dog. coffee1.gif

I've heard that there is good pizza in Chiang Mai, but I haven't found it in four years here. Why Not? Restaurant on Soi 11 off Nimmanhaemen comes close, but many would probably disagree. At least he's Italian, and doesn't skimp on proper ingredients. A worthy effort, and a good selection of other Italian dishes at reasonable prices.

NO ONE gets the crust right and - to me - that is what makes a pizza back home so delicious. The Duke's, Butter is Better, Da Stefano's, Why Not? and some others do a pretty good job on the sauce and the toppings, but they never get the crust exactly right.

NO ONE gets the crust right and - to me - that is what makes a pizza back home so delicious. The Duke's, Butter is Better, Da Stefano's, Why Not? and some others do a pretty good job on the sauce and the toppings, but they never get the crust exactly right.

Assuming that the no-cheese bungling gets ironed out, you really should get yourself out to Mamma Mia, Ulysses. Although I've not eaten at all the pizza shops around town, I was really impressed by the taste and texture of Mamma Mia's pizza crust.

As stated earlier, it's a family-run restaurant with Joseph in the kitchen, and his wife and daughter working in the dining area. They're closed on Wednesdays, otherwise open daily for a couple hours at lunch, and again after 5 and into the evening. If you have questions about their menu, why not give them a call: 053-844-322. It is--or at least was--a very good addition to the San Sai neighborhood, and I'd like to see them remain open for business. Besides that, they're nice people.

• Like 1

Assuming that the no-cheese bungling gets ironed out, you really should get yourself out to Mamma Mia, Ulysses. Although I've not eaten at all the pizza shops around town, I was really impressed by the taste and texture of Mamma Mia's pizza crust.

As stated earlier, it's a family-run restaurant with Joseph in the kitchen, and his wife and daughter working in the dining area. They're closed on Wednesdays, otherwise open daily for a couple hours at lunch, and again after 5 and into the evening. If you have questions about their menu, why not give them a call: 053-844-322. It is--or at least was--a very good addition to the San Sai neighborhood, and I'd like to see them remain open for business. Besides that, they're nice people.

For a pizza restaurant, the no-cheese bungling should never have happened, it's laughable.

Good crust or bad crust, they have completely lost all credibility as a pizza place.

• Like 1

For a pizza restaurant, the no-cheese bungling should never have happened, it's laughable.

Good crust or bad crust, they have completely lost all credibility as a pizza place.

You are assuming that it did happen amidst another report of fine pizza on the same day. I do not doubt that it could have happened but do doubt that it is the new normal for their pizza. The story is a bit fishy because who but the OP would have failed to refuse the pizza after one look/taste and of course not pay for it? Perhaps the OP's wife ordered it special or Thai style. Why didn't he talk with Joseph if he really wanted something instead of posting it here after talking with the wife, a nice lady but not responsive to English and really just functioning as a waitress. That is the generally accepted practice, talk to the top.

Would not be the first time that original posts have been incorrect and/or very misleading. Certainly the discussion here is not a fair representation of what the food has been for many months at Mama Mias. It has been reasonably priced, the best Italian food in that area (Mae Joe road) and has satisfied many.

• Like 1

I had one of those hot dog pizzas too. What puzzled me the most about that was that I went to Mamma Mia on the advice of an expert chef on ThaiVisa who, in concurrent threads, was promoting this place and criticizing La Fontana for for not using authentic recipes. Still can't figure out why La Fontana got slammed in this forum an Mamma Mia praised, unless of course there are occasionally conflicts on interest on ThaiVisas food threads.

we ordered take away a few times, pasta not bad, but we also received the hot dogs instead of sausage pizza. seemed odd to me and i didn't care for it but but the wife liked it! (but then she orders hot dog and shrimp pizza with sweet mayonnaise sauce from the Thai delivery company). i think its a Thai thing.

If you ordered a mozzarella pizza and something else came out, why not send it back? If they refuse and come out with 'new recipe' or whatever, it's walkies time I'm afraid. Have found the pizzas there to be good, but to be honest apart from the Mayflower (I think) on Loi Kroh many years ago, have never had a great pizza here. The Dukes and that place opposite Thapae ain't bad, but nobody can seem to nail it like they do in the West. Perhaps it's just me. smile.png

That's because the don't use a wood fired brick oven that is extremely hot.

On that line even in Italy now you cannot build a wood fired oven for your restaurant, has to be gas or electric. If you have an existing wood oven you can use still it.

All thanks to Brussels I imagine

Okay I'll bite, what restaurant on Soi 11????

I had one of those hot dog pizzas too. What puzzled me the most about that was that I went to Mamma Mia on the advice of an expert chef on ThaiVisa who, in concurrent threads, was promoting this place and criticizing La Fontana for for not using authentic recipes. Still can't figure out why La Fontana got slammed in this forum an Mamma Mia praised, unless of course there are occasionally conflicts on interest on ThaiVisas food threads.

we ordered take away a few times, pasta not bad, but we also received the hot dogs instead of sausage pizza. seemed odd to me and i didn't care for it but but the wife liked it! (but then she orders hot dog and shrimp pizza with sweet mayonnaise sauce from the Thai delivery company). i think its a Thai thing.

I think using hotdog on a sausage pizza it's a "Thai thing" too, but in a previous thread on ThaiVisa this place was being hyped as authentic and "definitely not Thai Italian style". And now shills are surfacing to suggest that the OP of this thread might be lying. I wonder if the hot dogs on the pizza might also be a lie.

Never ever been there but perhaps there are two menus and two types of pizza - one for the farungs and another one for the Thais who like mayonnaise,sweet corn, and other stuff that should never go near to a pizza. If you have only one type of pizza you will loose all the customers who prefer that type of pizza. I have talked to Thais who cannot understand how a pizza could possibly have olives,mushrooms and nothing sweet on it. Just hard to cater for everybody .

Coincidently, mozzarella cheese would have about the same amount of fat and less sugar than yoghurt so it could not be "health reasons" , more likely a mix- up in the kitchen

• Like 1

Yoghurt on a pizza HAHAHEHEHURRRP that's even more rediculous as when you need binoculairs to locate the tuna on your tuna pizza, which is very common here.

This is just stealing. Let them eat their own crap or feed it to the fish.

....unless it was a chicken tandoori pizza which is supposed to have yoghurt on it, but still has the cheese btw!

I agree. I was pleased with the WHY NOT restaurant. And, they have marvelous ice cream of many flavours.

They took the cheese off the pizza!!!!!! blink.png - Italy should remove its ambassador in protest wink.png

Seriously though there are very few decent affordable Western Restaurants in Thailand, most Thai's don't like cheese, its not just here though in Japan I saw one place that put Ketchup in its Spag-bol. The only decent Pizzeria I've been to here is the Pizza restaurant on the 7th floor of Central World in the mini food court opposite the Cinema, but even they have some odd things on their menu. There used to be a decent place opposite the Grace Hotel I went to a couple of times in my single days, not sure if its still there as Wifey doesn't like me hanging round that neighbourhood anymore.

Edited by Stjohnm