Cost Of University Education In Thailand?

Some of the replies are quite confusing. The situation is:

1)For Thai programs at good Thai universities like Khon kaen, Chiang Mai etc. the fees depend on the income of the parents. With a low income the fees can be as low as 6,000 Baht a term.

2) Quite a few overseas good universities accept Thai degrees from quite a few Thai State Universities , again such as Khon kaen, Chiang Mai, Mae Fah Luang etc., in addition to Chula and Thammasat, for Post Graduate degrees, subject, of course, to having a good GPA (at least 2.8 and most will insist on 3.0 and higher).

3) Most replies regarding qualifications for teaching in Thai schools are correct. It shouldn't be too difficult to get such qualifications with studying either at a Teaching College, or getting a university degree and passing the necessary State examinations with some training.

• Like 1

Hi, wondering if anyone knows what it costs or approximate cost for a Thai to attend University to get a teachers degree?

Different unis different price I suppose? How long is it to get a teaching degree in Thailand? My wifes son wants this degree, according to him he just wants to teach physical education. i feel we cant say no to education but want to know how much we expect to pay. Is Khon kaen uni any good?

Any thoughts welcome!

smile.png

It's almost triple the Thai price if the student is a farang.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hes full Thai. My wifes son from a previous marriage. Unfortunately the boys father isnt/doesnt do anything for his son, but thats ok, Im willing to do so.

Sounds about normal, my stepson's Thai father has never paid a penny and he is a court Judge !

• Like 1

"For Thai programs at good Thai universities like Khon kaen, Chiang Mai etc. the fees depend on the income of the parents. With a low income the fees can be as low as 6,000 Baht a term."

Not correct, at least for KKU. Care to say why you think that?

Different facuties/programs have different costs, but all students in that specific program pay the same tuition.

Some might pay less out of pocket if they have a scholarship, but the tuition cost is still the same.

Terry

If you are going to pay for his education have him think what is his 2nd choice after teaching and take classes for that too,

Did you really know what you wanted to do at 18 years old ? And did you think the same 5-10 years later ?

always nice to have something to fall back on.......

Terry LH

If you refer to the International Programs, which were introduced at KKU some 7-8 years ago, you are correct. However, as far as the Thai Programs, whilst I do agree that various programs do have different fees, the principle is that the fees depend to a large extent on the income of the parents, irrespective of scholarships. All this is, of course, dependent on the general entry exams (O and A levels), and/ or special KKU exams.

If you disagree may I suggest you check with the University authorities.

My son began his first term at Burapha University in Bang Sean studying Sports Science three days ago. Sports Science is similar to Physical Education, just a bit more anatomy, etc. PE majors go on to coach or teach PE. Sports Science majors are trainers and quasi physical therapists. They offer both degrees at Burapha (its not chula but its a top 10 university in Thailand).

The fees for tuition are so little they are insignificant--like 3000 baht per term. Housing and other expenses are far more than the actual degree.

My income is pretty high, especially compared to most Thais. As far as I know we did not receive any kind of discount or scholarship. Its a government university and like the hospitals, are far cheaper than the private ones.

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Believe this web site has a great deal of information on costs (and other things) and will start a pinned topic for links to this and other sites are they are found. This link is specific for below but can be sorted in many other ways.

The Top-20 tuition fees of accredited international Bachelor degree programs:
for Thai students (Thai nationals only)

http://studyinthaila...ergraduate.html

Khon Kaen University (KKU) is a good university. It's probably the best in Isaan, with MSU (Maha Sarakham Univeristy) probably being the next best in Isaan (Although some specific subjects from other universities have very good reputations).

I don't know much about specific costs, but all Thai universities are cheap to study at. If his parents are earning less than 200,000 THB per year, then he can put it all onto a low interest student loan. I believe that this figure can also be increased depending on people's circumstances, although you'd need to check:

http://www.studentloan.or.th/loan-kys.php

For more information, it has a lot of information about Thai student loans (Sorry, it's all in Thai, so you'll probably need your son or wife to take a look).

The student loan scheme can also be used to assist with living costs, my gf said that she used to get around 2000+ per month (In addition to course fees being paid). That was a few years ago, it may have been adjusted for inflation since then.