Pickled Onions.

Boyce

Super easy to make. Type Hawaiian pickled onion recipe into Google. Vinegar, water, sugar, and a chili or two. Cut the onions in quarters and pack into a jar, bring the other ingredients to a boil and pour into the jar with the onions. Let sit on the counter for 24 hours and then refrigerate. I like to use sweet onions and let them set in the refrigerator for two or three days before eating.

• Like 1

If you are going to make them yourself buy size Number 3 onions which are the small round ones. You might have to go to the local wholesale wet market or growers market to get them. Usually packed in an orange net bag. Forget the weight, 10 or 20 kilo. Many years ago I owned a company called "Howies Home Made" and I use to buy these bags for making my pickled onions. Easy to make.

wf.was at the local small market and someone there came with a load of shallots very cheap but she needed to hang them to dry,but after a week or so i peeled them and pickled them all, left for a month[that wasnt easy] oh they were cracking,its a bit of a task peeling them but if you got the time its definately worth it.

Making pickles is seriously easy and is my hobby. You can pickle anything and the brine is always the same. Use 1 cup water, 1 cup white venegar, and 1 tablespoon salt. Keep in that ratio. Put your onions (or whatever) into your jar or container, add in some dill, garlic, and a few red chilis to give it a little kick. Pour in the brine and cover. Set in fridge for 10-14 days. They are done! Experiment, it is quite fun and interesting and delicious!

Making pickles is seriously easy and is my hobby. You can pickle anything and the brine is always the same. Use 1 cup water, 1 cup white venegar, and 1 tablespoon salt. Keep in that ratio. Put your onions (or whatever) into your jar or container, add in some dill, garlic, and a few red chilis to give it a little kick. Pour in the brine and cover. Set in fridge for 10-14 days. They are done! Experiment, it is quite fun and interesting and delicious!

Sounds easy enough, I make pickled cucumbers and would like to try it your way, but don't you add some sugar?

A much better recipe is 1/2 Litre Malt Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Salt, 2 Teaspoons Sugar, one Chilly 2 Teaspoons mixed Spices, bring to boil then let cool, pore onto jar of onions. leave 2 weeks. Bloody Great.

Hi Davo, thanks for this I will give it a try

A much better recipe is 1/2 Litre Malt Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Salt, 2 Teaspoons Sugar, one Chilly 2 Teaspoons mixed Spices, bring to boil then let cool, pore onto jar of onions. leave 2 weeks. Bloody Great.

That's an interesting recipe which I'll try.

Hitherto, I've always pre-brined my peeled onions for 24hrs (50g sea-salt/litre water then drain and pat dry) before the vinegar stage.

Finished product takes a month or so to become crisp again but keeps well - I look forward to a taste-test comparison!

Mixed spices can give you a lot of different tastes.

A good recipe would tell you what and how much spice to put in.

For instance I believe Cinnamon is a spice I would not recommend it but your recipe leaves the door wide open for it.

Now this is the sort of friendly and useful thread we need much more of around here. You guys have got me hungry. I never thought of trying this before, although I have pickled hard boiled eggs. These tiny eggs available around here would go great in some of these recipes. This has endless possibilities.

MORE!

salt seems excessive do you mean 1 tsp

Bunter's Foods in Bangkok does them. You'll need to be ordering a lot of stuff for him to deliver to Pattaya, but they are VERY good. Just the right amount of chilis in them and nice crisp onions too. I have re-used the vinegar to pickle some quails eggs too. LOVELY.

Luckily it isn't too difficult to bulk up an order with Bunter's as his food is great.

Now this is the sort of friendly and useful thread we need much more of around here. You guys have got me hungry. I never thought of trying this before, although I have pickled hard boiled eggs. These tiny eggs available around here would go great in some of these recipes. This has endless possibilities.

MORE!

Recent studies have shown that pickled onions are carcinogenic and that vinegar hardens the arteries...

Edited by Phronesis

MORE!

Recent studies have shown that pickled onions are carcinogenic and that vinegar hardens the arteries...

But this http://www.livestrong.com/article/362516-is-eating-onions-healthy/ suggests that eating onions can prevent some types of cancer.

And when I Google "vinegar hardens the arteries" I get many results showing that vinegar is a treatment for hardened or blocked arteries.

Back on topic - Recently I have been pickling with Jasmine rice vinegar (cheap and tasty) with some very nice results.

You often see a glut of various food stuffs over the year and those little red shallots are one of them, 10-15kg bags for 50 Baht. Then you have garlic, chillis (the long ones), cauliflower, cabbage even mushrooms. Then you have sweet pickle when there is a glut of fruit, mustard pickle and chutneys. Pickled ginger is nice but just a couple of jars a year is going to be enough. Beetroot would be good though I can't say I've ever seen any at the market.

Thinking about it. Those wild garlic stems which look like very fine spring onions/ scallions would pickle well.