What Type Of Visa And How Long? Coming To Bk From Australia

I'll bet they issue you with a double-entry Tourist Visa.

Once you get your "6 month (two entries) Non-O visa" please post a scan (with the personal details hidden), a visa of this type is definitely not normal.

^^ That is what I reckon will happen.

To my knowledge 'O' Visas are for a 12 month duration.

Welcome to the Thai expression ... Same but Different ... rolleyes.gif

David48,

you also have single (or double or triple) Entry Non-O visa, each entry is valid for 3 Months, so nothing strange about that.

For example: I will (when I am in Europe) be applying only for a Single Entry Non-O (Marriage) because I don't need the Multiple and when back in Thailand, will go for the Extension of Stay based on Marriage and the Single Entry is more then enough for that.

Edit: sPeLlInG

Edited by MJCM

Non O Visas give a stay of up to 90 days.

A Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa will give unlimited entries of up to 90 days each. Valid for 12 months.

Although pretty rare, one or two consulates in Australia will issue a 2 Entry Non Imm O Visa but it is not normal elsewhere.

Once you get your "6 month (two entries) Non-O visa" please post a scan (with the personal details hidden), a visa of this type is definitely not normal.

David48,

you also have single (or double or triple) Entry Non-O visa, each entry is valid for 3 Months, so nothing strange about that.

For example: I will (when I am in Europe) be applying only for a Single Entry Non-O (Marriage) because I don't need the Multiple and when back in Thailand, will go for the Extension of Stay based on Marriage and the Single Entry is more then enough for that.

Agreed MJCM ... I didn't express myself correctly ... my bad ... wai.gif

@ LiteBeer ... I know that the Brisbane Consulate offers a double entry O Visa.

"cool.png NON-IMMIGRANT VISA-$90 for single entry, $180 for double entries and

$225 for multiple entries"

Going back to Crossy's comment, the OP is not married and not remotely close to 50, so how would he qualify for an 'O' Visa? honest question ... I'm happy to learn more.

Edited by David48

The only way you would get a non-o visa would be if you got married.

Best option to start with is to get a 3 entry tourist visa this would give you almost 9 months by extending each entry by 30 days at immigration and making the 3rd entry just before the visa expires.

If you want to learn Thai you could get an ED visa and then extensions of stay.

You will not qualify for a Non-O visa so if learning the culture and language is a goal, google Womenlearningthai and read about language schools. There are a number of schools that offer help getting an ED Visa. This is your best bet to stay for a year.If you just exploring the possibilities, Ubonjoe has given you solid advise.

Yes, As Richiekorn found out, Melbourne will issue a double entry non-O, for visiting friends/family in Thailand. But they will only issue a multi entry non-o if you are married. But maybe only to Austrlaian (ie Victorian residents...not sure).

Just to let you guys know... went to the consulate today and I can get a 6 month (two entries) Non-O visa. So a Non-O is possible in my circumstance, which may not be applicable to everyone.

For longer term, he said the only other way was to get married...

Richie,

Apply for a working holiday visa. I did and it wasn't hard to get, but it does take around 6 months for the visa to come through (it needs to be processed in Thailand, not Australia) and you have to send your application to the Thai Embassy in Canberra.

The only things you need to show are: Under 30 (easy), that you have completed university (if you have, if not, you cannot get it) and that you have at least $5,000 in funds available.

You can also apply and if you plan to travel sooner, get your passport back, apply for a tourist visa, go to Thailand for 3 months and return to Australia to get the Working Holiday Visa.

The WHV, gives you a single 12 month entry (you only have to do 90 day reporting). I actually ended up getting 18 months out of my visa, as they 'generally' give you a new 1 year permission to stay stamp on each arrival. Unfortunately my visa has expired, so will be looking into the non-o route when I'm back in September.

If you want anymore info, just send me a PM.

• Like 1

David48,

Agreed MJCM ... I didn't express myself correctly ... my bad ... wai.gif

@ LiteBeer ... I know that the Brisbane Consulate offers a double entry O Visa.

"cool.png NON-IMMIGRANT VISA-$90 for single entry, $180 for double entries and

$225 for multiple entries"

Going back to Crossy's comment, the OP is not married and not remotely close to 50, so how would he qualify for an 'O' Visa? honest question ... I'm happy to learn more.

It varies on the consulate, the same as HULL used to give multi entry non-o's for simple reasons, relationship, rental agreement etc. But because it was abused they had to stop it.

Some consulates give non-o's for 'other' reasons as they see fit. Remember it's only a visa, the right to stay is 'decided' by the immigration official at the point of entry, so consulates can decide to allow visa's for purposes they deem it fits under the guidelines. Just most don't.

• Like 1

You are not qualified for non O since you are not yet married.

The best thing to do is apply for a job then ask your employer to provide you papers so you can get non B. that is needed to have a work permit so that you can stay in Thailand with no worries.

The best thing to do is apply for a job then ask your employer to provide you papers so you can get non B. that is needed to have a work permit so that you can stay in Thailand with no worries.

Do you read replies before posting???? He can get a non-o based on the consulate requirements in Australia where he lives.

• Like 1

Getting a job here is much easier said, than done...

I do believe he qualifies for a Non-O visa on the basis of his relationship (depending on how long that is, of course). As for applying for an extension based on this and then applying for a work permit - doubtful at best.

Richiekorn, which consulate did you attend today?

Getting a job here is much easier said, than done...

I do believe he qualifies for a Non-O visa on the basis of his relationship (depending on how long that is, of course). As for applying for an extension based on this and then applying for a work permit - doubtful at best.

Richiekorn, which consulate did you attend today?

I don't need to look for a job because I'm only helping my girlfriend's family businesses whilst I'm there.... but doing it legally is going to be the issue with the amount of restrictions! So yes agreed, indeed easier said than done.

I went to the Royal Thai Consulate General in Melbourne on St Kilda Road. I did ask about the B type but he seemed to disapprove of it, as it seems like I'm just using it as a way to stay for 1 year. So I'll take the option of the 6 month Non-O and decide later if Thailand is right for me.

Edited by Richiekorn

Unless you can find a specific job to do in Thailand , like Embassy/Consulate , or school teacher teaching English , for which a university degree is necessary , you cannot work in Thailand .

Maybe if you had an IT related job operating worldwide outside Thailand , you could be self supporting . In that case you would have to be over 50yrs to get an Non Immigrant "O" Visa .

You can get an education visa , which would cover the period of your course and could be extended .

Before I married my Thai wife , I used to have a " 1 year multiple entry visa ", but left the country every three months .

My immediate reaction to your post , is that you are about to fall into the " Honey " trap that many foreign men are prey to .

Coming to Thailand longterm is a risky business . We are only welcome in Thailand for our money , a walking ATM .

You meet the lady's family , the house needs rebuilding and a multitude of other expenditures which are put to a foreigner ," If you really love me you will pay , won't you Darling ".

My advice to you is take a three months holiday and return to your job in Australia . It is far better to be married to your Thai wife in your own country , away from the family leaches in Thailand .

DGIE

A friend of mine who is a very well qualified English teacher , who has been working in Thailand for a number of years ; told me the other day that he is still waiting for his official work permit .

Unless you can find a specific job to do in Thailand , like Embassy/Consulate , or school teacher teaching English , for which a university degree is necessary , you cannot work in Thailand .

Maybe if you had an IT related job operating worldwide outside Thailand , you could be self supporting . In that case you would have to be over 50yrs to get an Non Immigrant "O" Visa .

You can get an education visa , which would cover the period of your course and could be extended .

Before I married my Thai wife , I used to have a " 1 year multiple entry visa ", but left the country every three months .

My immediate reaction to your post , is that you are about to fall into the " Honey " trap that many foreign men are prey to .

Coming to Thailand longterm is a risky business . We are only welcome in Thailand for our money , a walking ATM .

You meet the lady's family , the house needs rebuilding and a multitude of other expenditures which are put to a foreigner ," If you really love me you will pay , won't you Darling ".

My advice to you is take a three months holiday and return to your job in Australia . It is far better to be married to your Thai wife in your own country , away from the family leaches in Thailand .

I could see that you might think that, but it isn't a honey trap :) And I completely understand as I know people who have been used for money.

We are well prepared to stay here in Australia or go to another country if we want to. It's a genuine relationship and we are at an age and right point in life where we would like to travel (No kids etc.) In all honesty, her family is much wealthier than me and there wouldn't be any advantage of marrying me into the family for money leeching purposes. It's reversed, they are the ones who are helping me.

Anyway, I'd better stick to the topic of Visa's and not turn this into a relationship thread! :)

• Like 1

Richiekorn take what toscano has said with a massive dose of salt...

Whilst what he says is true for the majority, there are cases where the opposite occurs, I can attest to that (the latter) from experience.

Have you physically met the parents yet? If you have, are they OK with you residing with them for the duration of your trip?

If you haven't, I'd suggest that you take a shorter trip i.e initial 30 day visa exemption that you'll receive at Swampy to evaluate what they think of you and you of them. If all goes well, take a trip with your partner to somewhere within the region and apply for a tourist visa which will enable a lengthier stay in (I assume) BKK.

• Like 1

Richiekorn take what toscano has said with a massive dose of salt...

Whilst what he says is true for the majority, there are cases where the opposite occurs, I can attest to that (the latter) from experience.

Have you physically met the parents yet? If you have, are they OK with you residing with them for the duration of your trip?

If you haven't, I'd suggest that you take a shorter trip i.e initial 30 day visa exemption that you'll receive at Swampy to evaluate what they think of you and you of them. If all goes well, take a trip with your partner to somewhere within the region and apply for a tourist visa which will enable a lengthier stay in (I assume) BKK.

No, haven't physically met so hence one of the purposes of the trip. I've only spoken to them on the phone / Skype. They live in Nakhon Sawan and they have an apartment in BKK which is where I'd be staying with my gf and the nanny there. We would have to stay in "separate" rooms though (Asian culture / unmarried), but they fully approve for me to stay as long as I want... OR should I say "can" with these Visa's!

Edited by Richiekorn

Just stop talk and go away.

Christ you sure can talk some complete and utter dribble.

Richiekorn, sounds like your ducks are lining up. Yes the staying in seperate rooms thing, whilst traditional and to be respected, you'll remember that not too long ago around your parents time, it was probably similar.

I had to do the same on my frequent trips between here and Australia, my first trip here to meet my (now) mother in law, I stayed in a hotel for a week before she found out I was - wasting my money - staying at a hotel in the city and demanded I check out and stay with the family.

If - as you say you can - you can afford the sabbatical here, take the bull by the proverbial and do it!

Immigration isn't as hard as it sounds, it's just a pain the arse to deal with, having to visit Chaeng Wattana in order to do extensions in country. You can avoid this by taking side trips overseas.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, for anyone questioning can it be done... yes it can! (depending on circumstances still)... I picked up my visa today.

They do question you though, so its not just walk in and you will get it.

post-181095-0-50823400-1371810724_thumb.

• Like 1

It's a non-o Visa and there's only about 5 consulates in Australia, pretty much one for each state. I could have got a multiple entry tourist visa but it's not what I wanted. Might be easier in other parts of the world, just not here.

I think they may be the only place in the world still doing two entry visas.

Any other honorary consulate would be better place to get a visa.

The Brisbane one offers single, double and multiple entries.

What gets me is why is there no uniformity across the honorary consulates in Australia?

I suppose that's the joy of Thailand ... rolleyes.gif

Edited by David48